Kickdown issue

-
Kickdown is working. I was sure I tried it at different speeds starting at around 40 up to around 60 but could never get it to activate. Apparently it will only kick down around and between 40-50.

Your tranny probably came from something that had 2.71/2.76 gears and a decent size tire. Now u have 3.55s and a much smaller tire. If u contact Rick at A&A Transmissions in Indiana he will get u fixed up. Kim

Your tranny probably came from something that had 2.71/2.76 gears and a decent size tire. Now u have 3.55s and a much smaller tire. If u contact Rick at A&A Transmissions in Indiana he will get u fixed up. Kim

You beat me to it.:D
A&A will get the right governor for the application based on the owner preferences.
Well worth talking to about it.

You beat me to it.:D
A&A will get the right governor for the application based on the owner preferences.
Well worth talking to about it.
Thanks. I will give him a call. His shop is only 2 hours from me too.
I am not sure what vehicle the transmission internals came out of. The case is from a truck (with car tail shaft). The internals I have now came out of a big block 727 case. My dad thinks something from the 60's but isn't sure. He sourced the BB 727 from someone a while back.

Thanks. I will give him a call. His shop is only 2 hours from me too.

I am not sure what vehicle the transmission internals came out of. The case is from a truck (with car tail shaft). The internals I have now came out of a big block 727 case. My dad thinks something from the 60's but isn't sure. He sourced the BB 727 from someone a while back.
My "A" body and Van (truck) has the same length tail shaft. I always heard the trucks had an extra clutch plate as in the Hemi (HD). The 727 were a strong transmission to start with. So, I think the internals were the same for SB and BB cars. Short and long tail shafts set aside. The 4-speeds in the "A" bodies were short with only one shifter mount, as the "E' and "B" bodies had two in the 70's. Not sure before the 70's. I would think only one mount for the "B" bodies because there were no "E" bodies then.

My Dad bought a 67 Hemi Charger in the fall of 70. Automatic trans. We found out pretty quickly that above 30 miles an hour it would not downshift into low no matter what - throttle floored in Drive, or manually move the shifter to low, etc. Had a 5,000 rpm governor, and would full throttle upshift out of first and second at that rpm, but no kickdown into low above 30 mph. Fixed that with a B&M Transpack which made it an automatic/manual valve body. Now, with a manual downshift, you could get it into low gear at any speed. Can't remember about the automatic kickdown in drive after the valve body modification.

Much later, had a 68 Torqueflite in another car, and it had the same non-kickdown into low above 30 mph.

Not sure how many years this was the case, but it was 67 and 68 at least. Other years, the kick down into low was not so limited. So your trans may not kick down into low at 30 mph even if you kickdown is working as it should be and even if you have a high rpm governor.

Does your trans have some sort of shift kit installed? If not I would recommend one. Or better yet when you contact A&A you could get one of their valve bodies and just replace yours according to their directions. you don't even have to take the trans out - it all just happens through the pan. They have them in all flavors, you can get one with a regular forward shift pattern with automatic shift like stock, but it would increase line pressure and give you snappy positive shifts (and less transmission wear). You can ask them to make sure it has part throttle kickdown - a definite plus.

Does your trans have some sort of shift kit installed? If not I would recommend one. Or better yet when you contact A&A you could get one of their valve bodies and just replace yours according to their directions. you don't even have to take the trans out - it all just happens through the pan. They have them in all flavors, you can get one with a regular forward shift pattern with automatic shift like stock, but it would increase line pressure and give you snappy positive shifts (and less transmission wear). You can ask them to make sure it has part throttle kickdown - a definite plus.
They did install a shift kit in it when it was rebuilt. I have an email out to A&A. Waiting to hear back

-
Back