Knock and smoke

-
You could pull one plug wire off at a time and make sure the rpms drop significantly. Just be careful about fuel being near by.

should I start it up tomorrow and get a video of it running? Or should I leave it alone and tear it apart?

should I start it up tomorrow and get a video of it running? Or should I leave it alone and tear it apart?
I really don't know how long the Lifters and cam would hold up but if you're confident with the rest of the engine build, you should be able to run it until it breaks in. The smoke should stop once she runs at full temp for a while. She's not pumping gobs of white smoke out the pipes is she?

I say drive it like you stole it.

I really don't know how long the Lifters and cam would hold up but if you're confident with the rest of the engine build, you should be able to run it until it breaks in. The smoke should stop once she runs at full temp for a while. She's not pumping gobs of white smoke out the pipes is she?

I had the rpm's up to 2K then I brought them back down to under 1K thats when I saw a huge cloud of thick white smoke.. it was thick and ultra white..only for a but before I shut her down.. when the engine was reved no smoke, but when I dropped the rpms tons of smoke.

How long was it sitting before the engine install? I blew up an engine before, head gaskets and all took out a cylinder/Rod/Piston etc. I put the car back together with the new engine hooking up the exhaust as it was before and it smoked like a Sumbitch for at least 30 minutes. I also had pieces of the bottom end "piston pieces and rod/cylinder wall chunks shooting out the exhaust when I was revving it up after the smoke went away.

My point is if it was sitting awhile condensation/water might have been built up in the exhaust pipes.

How long was it sitting before the engine install? I blew up an engine before, head gaskets and all took out a cylinder/Rod/Piston etc. I put the car back together with the new engine hooking up the exhaust as it was before and it smoked like a Sumbitch for at least 30 minutes. I also had pieces of the bottom end "piston pieces and rod/cylinder wall chunks shooting out the exhaust when I was revving it up after the smoke went away.

My point is if it was sitting awhile condensation/water might have been built up in the exhaust pipes.

it sat for a while.. but I started for a few min in the videos and there was no smoke then.. it wasn't until today when it got up to temp around 175 ish and I had the rpms up that is smoked.

I say drive it like you stole it.
I'm inclined to agree. The smoke is either going to go away or else there's a crack somewhere but you gotta run it for a good 1/2 hour to find out. If it gets louder and louder or over heats or loses oil pressure, Then shut her down & tear it apart.

Who built the engine? Were the Heads fluxed/checked for cracks? I'm real curious about the build process.

I'm inclined to agree. The smoke is either going to go away or else there's a crack somewhere but you gotta run it for a good 1/2 hour to find out. If it gets louder and louder or over heats or loses oil pressure, Then shut her down & tear it apart.

Who built the engine? Were the Heads fluxed/checked for cracks? I'm real curious about the build process.

The heads where gone through my a local machine shop.. completely rebuilt angled large valve job all new seats, seals, etc.. no crack found...

The short block was bought from someone local everything was new in the block.

Me and a buddy put the cam in and buttoned it up.. I'm now to the business so I had them here to help me out... I purchased the best of everything I could find... with the exception of the cam and lifter... very stupid I know but you live and learn I guess..

Have you verified the oil pressure? A used cam can cause more problems than just flat lobes.

Me and a buddy put the cam in and buttoned it up.. I'm now to the business so I had them here to help me out... I purchased the best of everything I could find... with the exception of the cam and lifter... very stupid I know but you live and learn I guess..
Sounds like the engine should be pretty solid. I'd run it and see if the smoking stops. It always takes a while for the smoke to clear. I used to get scared on every engine I rebuilt because the smoke would usually take time to clear out. It always did though. I do recommend getting it full hot and then changing the oil & filter just in case there's some metal "floating" around. Maybe cut the filter open and look for excess metal. If all cylinders are contributing, then the cam and lifters aren't too far gone.

You could pull one plug wire off at a time and make sure the rpms drop significantly. Just be careful about fuel being near by.

Harbor frieght has a infra-red hand held temp gauge for 30 bucks, I bought one and it works great. Check the temp of the header pipes at the head and look for a " cold " exhaust. Thats ur dead cylinder. Thats one noisey motor, I'd pull the intake and look.

Have you verified the oil pressure? A used cam can cause more problems than just flat lobes.

the oil pressure is 70

Sounds like the engine should be pretty solid. I'd run it and see if the smoking stops. It always takes a while for the smoke to clear. I used to get scared on every engine I rebuilt because the smoke would usually take time to clear out. It always did though. I do recommend getting it full hot and then changing the oil & filter just in case there's some metal "floating" around. Maybe cut the filter open and look for excess metal. If all cylinders are contributing, then the cam and lifters aren't too far gone.
The thing that scares me is that there wasn't smoke before today when I started it for brief periods.

Harbor frieght has a infra-red hand held temp gauge for 30 bucks, I bought one and it works great. Check the temp of the header pipes at the head and look for a " cold " exhaust. Thats ur dead cylinder. Thats one noisey motor, I'd pull the intake and look.

what am I looking for with the intake off?

this is going to sounds ridiculous but I took this water fitting out and blocked it off b/c I'm not going to run a heater.. is that an issue? Could that be any cause of the smoke? I wouldn't think so but i'm narrowing all the things I did to the car today... I also filled it will tranny fluid...
2011-11-23183043.jpg

this is going to sounds ridiculous but I took this water fitting out and blocked it off b/c I'm not going to run a heater.. is that an issue? Could that be any cause of the smoke? I wouldn't think so but i'm narrowing all the things I did to the car today... I also filled it will tranny fluid...
2011-11-23183043.jpg
I don't think that Plugging that port is a problem. If white smoke is coming out the exhaust even after getting full hot and running it for a while then there's got to be an internal reason. I guess we're just hoping it's residual and will burn away and stop. It could be as simple as an intake gasket. Could be a head gasket. Could be a crack. once you're sure it's not just residual stuff burning off then it's time to start taking it apart.

Ok so i will turn the rpm down and start it tomorrow.... if the car starts getting louder and keeps smoking then I will stop it.. I'm going to video it too.

Ok so i will turn the rpm down and start it tomorrow.... if the car starts getting louder and keeps smoking then I will stop it.. I'm going to video it too.
Good luck with this. Just take it one step at a time & it'll all work out fine.

Hard to tell for sure by your video becuase I cant make out anything other than exhaust sound.

like already mentioned, white smoke is normally coolant...( but it COULD be raw gas not burning off) (which also would contribute to the gas smelling oil. what size carb? do you have to poundage set right for it? just curious if its getting to much gas and causing the smoke/gassy oil/and fowling plugs causing your noise. OR it could be you don't have your timing set correctly and your not detonating all of the fuel which is causing the same problems.

did you inspect the cam prior to install? did you see any substantial wear? I like all my metal to metal contact surfaces to look and feel like glass (pitting/grooves/discoloration is no good) ....as mentioned before, lifters should go back into the same lifter bores they came from as that is what they are worn to.....but I wouldnt go asfar as saying you found your problem just yet.

I suggest first...pulling your spark plugs and seeing what they look like (if they are wet and smell bad of gas then you either have your timing off or getting to much fuel,if they are wet and don't have to strong of an odor and have a slight "slime" feel to them I would say your getting coolant into your combustion chamber,if they are wet and oily.....your getting oil. If they are dry....good....then you just have to judge where you have them tuned by the coloration of the spark plug.

Also I would pull the radiator cap off and give a good WIFF.....normally if you are getting coolant into a cylinder/s you will also get some combustion gass's in your cooling system and you should be able to take a wiff and see if you catch a hint of exhaust/gas smell.

of course you still have all the basic stuff you could check,compression test,pressure test the cooling system,check for any vacume leaks (or any leaks for that matter) .....make sure you trouble shoot the crap out of it before you dig in and rip it apart ....never know ,it could be an easy fix?

You're slam over thinkin this right now. RUN the thing. DRIVE it some. Sometimes it takes a few THOUSAND miles for an engine to break in. If somebody didn't get the cross hatch just right....and it's easy to do. It could take 2500 miles for it to break in. It's not gonna run JUST right until it does break in. Trust me, if you drive it, it will either get worse, get better or stay the same. But you'll never know what it will do running it 15 minutes at the time and cutting it off. A fresh engine sometimes makes ticks and other noises early on for no apparent reason. DRIVE it. Watch the oil pressure and the temp and listen to it. It's tell you what's goin on if you give it a chance......it may be nothing, but you'll never know battin it around on an internet forum instead of driving it.

I don't think that Plugging that port is a problem. If white smoke is coming out the exhaust even after getting full hot and running it for a while then there's got to be an internal reason. I guess we're just hoping it's residual and will burn away and stop. It could be as simple as an intake gasket. Could be a head gasket. Could be a crack. once you're sure it's not just residual stuff burning off then it's time to start taking it apart.
xs2 ,i at least connect the two heater hose inlet/outlets together so there is a flow ,but i dont think it matters,tho ive never blocked them off. but if its getting real hot and there is not sufficient flow,it could be forcing water into a cylinder, but you would probably blow a hose before that would happen unless there is already an issue. bottom line would be for me is this; if the white smoke hasnt disappeared and if it is,in fact, pouring white smoke out of the pipes after a couple hours of running , with the engines cooling system set up normally and without it overheating , then you have an internal issue, and you might as well yank it out and find out why. is your coolant level dropping in the radiator?are you running a thermostat? whats your water temp? make sure it is completely full of coolant,run it around for a couple hours and recheck the coolant level,do yourself a favor and set up the heater hoses correctly and all the cooling components at least until you get the engine good and operational and then start deleting stuff. every change you make to the cooling system is going to affect operating temps. i have seen puffs of white now and then and its usually just condensation,and i have seen straight water into a cylinder and it is not pretty ...

Hard to tell for sure by your video becuase I cant make out anything other than exhaust sound.

like already mentioned, white smoke is normally coolant...( but it COULD be raw gas not burning off) (which also would contribute to the gas smelling oil. what size carb? do you have to poundage set right for it? just curious if its getting to much gas and causing the smoke/gassy oil/and fowling plugs causing your noise. OR it could be you don't have your timing set correctly and your not detonating all of the fuel which is causing the same problems.

did you inspect the cam prior to install? did you see any substantial wear? I like all my metal to metal contact surfaces to look and feel like glass (pitting/grooves/discoloration is no good) ....as mentioned before, lifters should go back into the same lifter bores they came from as that is what they are worn to.....but I wouldnt go asfar as saying you found your problem just yet.

I suggest first...pulling your spark plugs and seeing what they look like (if they are wet and smell bad of gas then you either have your timing off or getting to much fuel,if they are wet and don't have to strong of an odor and have a slight "slime" feel to them I would say your getting coolant into your combustion chamber,if they are wet and oily.....your getting oil. If they are dry....good....then you just have to judge where you have them tuned by the coloration of the spark plug.

Also I would pull the radiator cap off and give a good WIFF.....normally if you are getting coolant into a cylinder/s you will also get some combustion gass's in your cooling system and you should be able to take a wiff and see if you catch a hint of exhaust/gas smell.

of course you still have all the basic stuff you could check,compression test,pressure test the cooling system,check for any vacume leaks (or any leaks for that matter) .....make sure you trouble shoot the crap out of it before you dig in and rip it apart ....never know ,it could be an easy fix?

The fuel pump I have doesn't require the regulator... I never messed with my 6al or timing.. I need to check it.

-
Back