Knock and smoke

-
I don't run a heater in my car either, and blocked those ports. No issues.

Just so we're sure, I didn't see if you said whether or not your cam is a flat tappet or roller.

I don't run a heater in my car either, and blocked those ports. No issues.

Just so we're sure, I didn't see if you said whether or not your cam is a flat tappet or roller.

flat tappet.

I'm inclined to agree with the others. Just run it.

Also, since you haven't checked the timing you may be way over or under timed. Your fix could be just as easy as setting the timing.

it sat for a while.. but I started for a few min in the videos and there was no smoke then.. it wasn't until today when it got up to temp around 175 ish and I had the rpms up that is smoked.

Yeah it seems to me there is condensation/water in the exhaust. It would not smoke until the exhaust got good and hot.

I am with the others. You need to run it for longer than 10-15 minutes. I bet the smoking goes away.

just make sure the carb is not dripping gas into the engine....you dont want gas in the oil...

I agree with what has been said. Fire it back up, put a timing light on it, watch the temp climb and the thermostat open (assuming you have a good temp gauge on it) and maybe take it around the block after it has run 30 minutes or so. I would run it at least 30-60 minutes unless it starts smoking real bad or clattering real bad. Also, keep an eye on the oil and make sure it is not getting moisture in it. Also, look down the carb with it running and make sure it is not dribbling fuel in like was mentioned before.

Ok this morning I went out to check the spark plugs.. all 4 of the passenger side plugs were very loose. The second to the last one had quite a bit of oil on it and even pooling up around the opening of the hole where it goes into the head... I also go a chance to smell my rad. and it smelled like exhaust.. What should I do now? What would cause the oil to blow through the spark plug? Here is a pic of two different plugs.. these were right next to each other.
2011-11-27101951.jpg

2011-11-27101503.jpg

I went ahead and took off my valve cover and in doing so I noticed that the bolts were not very tight either. Here is a video of it.

Just watched the vid. Not sure about the looseness. I guess you should start by pulling the intake and inspect the Cam.

I just started it and it ran for about 10 sec and rpms dropped and died on me.. when I restarted it, it makes a nasty clunking sound when it starts and the car shakes.. pretty sure I just grenaded the brand new engine! wow what a chain of events.

Spark Plug: It could be a number of things but I'm thinking that the rings aren't broken in yet so you're getting a little blow by. The motor is still new, and I had a similar problem with cylinder #2 in my engine when I first got it going. The rings just didn't want to seat and I was thinking I was going to have to rebuild it again, but it eventually sealed after running it around town a bit. As for the oil on the outside, you may just have a small valve cover gasket leak. Also, depending on how loose the plug is, it's possible that oil could have been sucked in from the pool outside the head.

Exhaust smell in radiator fluid: It depends on how loose the head bolts are, but maybe your head gasket isn't getting a good seal. Torque them to spec and run it, and while you are, keep the cap off the radiator and look for bubbles when the thermostat opens. Granted it's a new motor, so you may still have some air in your cooling system, but a constant stream of bubble coming up is a sign of a bad head gasket.

Water on valvetrain: Is there any water anywhere else or just on that rocker? How about around the base of the springs? If you were spewing water oil there for some reason it wouldn't be isolated to that single spot.

Loose pushrod: I heard something move but wasn't sure if it was the pushrod or rocker I was hearing. Being able to twist the pushrod around is normal, but up and down movement is not. Did you reuese your stock pushrods or the ones that came with the used cam/lifters? You may just need to determine the correct length pushrod and order a set.

Were you giving it gas or did you just start it and let it idle on it's own? If you were to start it that way, that almost sounds about right to idle for about 10 sec then slowly idle down until it dies.

Were you giving it gas or did you just start it and let it idle on it's own?

I started it a let it idle on it's own... didn't last very long needless to say... after the last time I tried to run it today I checked the dip stick and there is a ton of what looks like water in it. it looks like coffee with cream..lol

I guess I can take the head off and look at it..the last thing I want to do is cause more damage.. if I have to rebuild I'd rather just rebuild the short block only..

I hate to hear that, it's definitely water. Exactly how loose were the head bolts? Could you unscrew them with your fingers or were they very easy to loosen with a wrench?

I hate to hear that, it's definitely water. Exactly how loose were the head bolts? Could you unscrew them with your fingers or were they very easy to loosen with a wrench?
Did I miss something? The Head bolts were loose????

Did I miss something? The Head bolts were loose????

head bolts were not loose... the spark plugs and valve cover were loose.

I just need to know what my next course of action is? should I drain the oil and refill the try and start again? or should I take off the passenger head to see if there is damage?

If you loosen the oil pan drain plug and green coolant comes out first then there's a problem. Just loosen it but don't take it all the way out for now. let us know what comes out. There's 100 ways to come at this and a bunch of opinions. Just sort of a fact finding mission for now then we can start to figure it out. Don't pull the heads off yet.

I will.. I put water in vs coolant.. so I will go check now.

I had a similar scenario. My motor also started out with a very light ticking sound that I thought was an exhaust leak.Then I had alot of water get into my oil real quick when the cam bolt that holds the timing chain in place loosened up (because I forgot to Loktite it) and walked its way through the timing cover and jammed in the water pump impellor. It made a hell of alot of noise and caused a 3" hole in the timing cover so all my antifreeze was pumped into the crankcase. The car was still running for about 1 block til I shut it down, but like I said it started with a tick then made alot of noise and smoke. The cam walked out of place causing cam lobes to crash into the lifters next to them. The result was my waterpump, timing cover, cam and lifters were all trash, but the rest of the motor was still in good shape.
Did you put Loktite on that bolt? If not, I'd start by popping the waterpump off since thats easy and it sounds like you may have to start to tear into the motor anyway.

See if any of your spark plugs are wet, that would point to the head.

I took out all the spark plug this morning.. they were all really dark and that one had a ton of oil on it.

-
Back