LA 360 - 0.030" Undersize Main Bearing Clearance Questions

-
Glad you were lucky to get one local and at a good price. Keep us updated.
My U-Pull it days are gone for now. They are all out of them and my job that took me right by them is gone.

Also my apologies for the side tract. Dan just gets me since he gives advise on things he knows nothing about and does it see that as a problem.
The installation of the rear main seal was only a opinion. I noticed that you didn't answer the question that I gave you earlier, but that's okay.

The installation of the rear main seal was only a opinion. I noticed that you didn't answer the question that I gave you earlier, but that's okay.

No Dan, what you said was that was how YOU do it because some machinist told you that’s how it’s done.

That’s not what you are saying now.

What I did was point out what the people who designed this **** expected the end user to do.

And never ever have I seen an engineer in that field say to off set a 2 piece oil seal to make it seal correctly.

You have to fit the seal to the block and cap. Then you do not offset the seal and it functions like it should.

I guess I should explain how it came about that I got stuck going to this seminar on gaskets and sealing.

I was working for a production engine rebuilder boring and honing blocks. I could and still can run every machine in the shop. And do it correctly.

We were having rear main seal issues like a mother, and a host of gasket sealing issues. Warranty was outrageous and the owners of the company were crooks and liars.

So when the webinar came up I got drafted because I could run all the machines and I grasped what surface geometry was and **** like that.

So I went. It was worth it. That’s how I learned about fitting seals. Sadly, I knew guys doing it back then and it never looked correct to me. And it’s not the correct way to fit a seal, regardless of who does it.

That’s how I happen to KNOW that Dan. I’m not ******* guessing.

So what your particular machinist says means nothing to me. In fact, you should question him on WTF he’s doing it that way.

That’s what I’d do. And if his answer is anything other than I just didn’t know fire his *** and find someone new.

At any rate, I know guys will continue to offset seals because they don’t learn, they just build **** on superstition and old wives tales.

BTW Dan's back on ignore.
Dan you sure are a slow safe driver. A month ago you posted you and your boot licker all knowing buddy (he knows more than you) had cash, a trailer and were leaving to go pick up a car. I had him off just to see if he did. But just like his other post his just lies, more trolling lies and made up ****

No Dan, what you said was that was how YOU do it because some machinist told you that’s how it’s done.

What I did was point out what the people who designed this **** expected the end user to do.

And never ever have I seen an engineer in that field say to off set a 2 piece oil seal to make it seal correctly.

You have to fit the seal to the block and cap. Then you do not offset the seal and it functions like it should.

I guess I should explain how it came about that I got stuck going to this seminar on gaskets and sealing.

I was working for a production engine rebuilder boring and honing blocks. I could and still can run every machine in the shop. And do it correctly.

We were having rear main seal issues like a mother, and a host of gasket sealing issues. Warranty was outrageous and the owners of the company were crooks and liars.

So when the webinar came up I got drafted because I could run all the machines and I grasped what surface geometry was and **** like that.

So I went. It was worth it. That’s how I learned about fitting seals. Sadly, I knew guys doing it back then and it never looked correct to me. And it’s not the correct way to fit a seal, regardless of who does it.

So what your particular machinist says means nothing to me. In fact, you should question him on WTF he’s doing it that way.

That’s what I’d do. And if his answer is anything other than I just didn’t know fire his *** and find someone new.

At any rate, I know guys will continue to offset seals because they don’t learn, they just build **** on superstition and old wives tales.
The more Dan post the more he proves he is a fraud and troll. Just like telling someone his problems were his carb. So changed his carb instead of tuning the one he had.
Said he must have been right since he got lucky.
Lied about going get so many cars that he never even tried to get. Lied about cars conditions so he could say that's why he never bought it. Remember him saying the car offered to him by Phoenix Coating was a rust bucket. But had no rust. Lied, lies, lies. Period.
How anyone can even believe anything Dan post at this point is crazy. He has lied and made up so many stores about getting a car it is countless.

I didn’t know he was interested in Billy and Leanna’s car. I’m sure I’ll be long since dead b4 he ever gets a car to his liking. Wasn’t he already building a 318 for his car he will never get. Kim

I didn’t know he was interested in Billy and Leanna’s car. I’m sure I’ll be long since dead b4 he ever gets a car to his liking. Wasn’t he already building a 318 for his car he will never get. Kim
Yes Billy's car. Dan lied about the condition of it. Said it was real rusty to not buy it, needed a reason. They even lowered the price so it was in his price range.
How anyone can believe anything he post at this point?

Glad you were lucky to get one local and at a good price. Keep us updated.
My U-Pull it days are gone for now. They are all out of them and my job that took me right by them is gone.

Also my apologies for the side tract. Dan just gets me since he gives advise on things he knows nothing about and does it see that as a problem.
No worries.

I think that'll be my last visit to a salvage yard for awhile. Or I hope it is, at least. I have the rest of the parts I need to get my current project done assuming nothing else goes sideways. This should be the last hurdle with this engine build, at least. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated. Just handed the "new" crankshaft over to my machinist.

At least you took the time to explain it as it should be, thanks for doing that. I'm going to save this to my phone. And the machine shop that said that is out of business

I don't mean to be disrespectful here to anyone but I think that some people on here have low people skills

minivan man dan said:
You probably have a lot to learn about life yourself. I always thought good about car clubs and forums but me being on here has proved that theory wrong.

oh wow. that is rich.

daniel, you couldn't catch a clue in a field full of clues during mating season.

So I can say I contributed something I like lots of clearance so when I get a crank cut I tell them to cut .011, .021, .031, etc. if you are a little loose you will know. But if you are a little tight everyone will know.
For sure! That is most definitely what I'll do with the salvage yard crank if it needs to be cut. From what I saw when researching options last week, bearing availability even with .001 in. extra clearance standard and 0.010 in. undersize bearings isn't very good these days. If I can get the clearance I'm after while using a standard sized bearing that is a definite plus.

Quick update. The salvage yard crankshaft checked out. My machinist polished it, but no additional machining required so it's going to remain standard size on both the main and rod journals. Picking it up tomorrow morning.

Quick update. The salvage yard crankshaft checked out. My machinist polished it, but no additional machining required so it's going to remain standard size on both the main and rod journals. Picking it up tomorrow morning.
Glad it worked out for ya!

Glad it worked out for you. And cost remained low. Elbow grease cost mostly. Hard now days to still be able to do so. Yards are hardened to find things in.

-
Back