LA Block Bellhousing and Flywheel Options for Test Stand

-

msmrinc

Reaction score
I've got a few Mopar small blocks that I'm going to rebuild ('69 273, '67 318, '70 340) utilizing an engine run stand that requires a bellhousing and flywheel for setup. Question is; I know there are several different size bellhousing and flywheel combos, does that matter to me? In other words, I'd like to buy one bellhousing and one flywheel that will work on all 3 blocks, for testing only. All three of these motors will eventually be in automatics, so I don't wanna spend a ton of money buying multiple bellhousing and flywheels just for testing purposes. Thoughts?

Pretty sure you are going to want a standard small block bell housing and a 130 tooth flywheel that is neutral balanced. A 360 flywheel won't do. Should be able to use a bell housing from any small block car or truck.

Your 272, 318 and 70 340 are all neutral balanced. 1 flywheel for all. Use a car bellhousing or no bellhousing at all with a starter to block adapter.

I don't see that it matters one bit. You are not (I hope!!) going to be revving it to shift point RPMS, nor are you under load or running it for very long. Whatever bell/ flywheel is "a mate" for starter fit should work fine.

I don't use a bell for what little I do. I just use the engine plate off my old Lakewood, which provides a starter mount. You could easily make that part of it as well if you are careful

I ran a 340/ neutral flywheel up against a 360, swapped into a Toy Landcruiser, about a year and a half before I swapped a 340 into it. Yeh. It shook some LOL

Call Dan @ Brewers.
He has used ones for test stands and may have a Flywheel as well.

if you can't find a cheap bellhousing, i'd cut the 'bell' off an old auto box. it'll do the same job for what you need.
neil.
Not too sure about that. Are 904 and 727 ring gears the same? Are either of them the same as any flywheel?

Using the 10 1/2 bellhousing and neutral balance flywheel for all smallblocks. Quicktime makes a neat balance plate that goes behind the flywheel for the 360. I don't remember if they make one for the cast crank 340.

Get a small block bellhousing from a car and a neutral balance 130 tooth flywheel. You have to be careful with truck bellhousings to make sure they are for a 130 tooth flywheel. Pickup trucks that had a granny 4 speed used an 11 inch clutch and a 143 tooth flywheel. Truck bellhousings that came from a later truck with an 833OD should be for a 130 tooth flywheel.

-
Back