Landed safely in VA

-

Claudius

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It is rapidly approaching the end of my second week of work in Forest, VA. I have not posted for a couple of weeks because of my relocation to Lynchburg, VA to take a new job.

It was just over 17 months without a job and for anyone interested in the previous history, please see the postings and responses at this link:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=103490

I had a very pleasant drive of 5 days to get here. The weather got very hot and rainy in the last couple of days but the entire drive allowed me to see new portions of the US that I had not encountered in the past. I can now claim to have been on the ground in 26 of 50 US states.

For anyone who is an airplane fan, I hope to make you jealous by saying how amazing it was to walk through the US Air Force museum in Dayton, OH. It is hard to describe just how stunning a facility this is and the care taken to restore and preserve these aircraft has been extensive. Although I had known it was there, I was surprised to make a final turn in the WW2 section and come face to face with "Bock's Car", the B-29 that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki to end the conflict. ("Enola Gay" is at the Smithsonian in D.C.)

This "southern hospitality" is suiting me very well. The moment I arrived, people were coming up to me and introducing themselves. It has continued nearly every day because the HR manager posted my picture and a bit of background in different locations throughout the facility. The manner in which people seem to treat each other, both in the office and in the community at large, reflects a lot of courtesy and respect. This is why the community is deemed a good place to raise a family.

On the personal front, I did not get to see my kids before I moved. My wife and the children came home the same day I left and it is now >2 months since I last saw them. My wife and I are talking by e-mail, suggesting that there is still hope for our marriage. There are so many accumulated hurts within both of us that it will take a long time and professional counselling. For my part, I am continuing with the counselling and am feeling a lot better. She has good Christian women around her who will support and encourage her. I am very pleased to find that Lynchburg is a strong Christian community where the different faiths live in peace. I am not one who makes friends easily but a new attitude is allowing me to be accepting and be accepted by those around me.

For those of you who have offered prayers for my family, I thank you and request that you please continue. There seems to be a good chance that I will get to go back to see the children for the August 7-8 weekend.

For now, the work is positive and stimulating. I am finding my adjustment to the higher heat and humidity quite challenging. As a fan of Civil War history, I made the required 25 mile trip to Appomattox Court House last weekend, despite heat well above 90F. It was different than I had expected, given that previous experience had been at Gettysburg and Antietam, both bloody and extensive battles. The significance was not the engagement, of course, but the surrender and dignified conduct of the Union soldiers during the laying down of arms that left the Confederates feeling like they had been treated with respect.

This "southern hospitality" is suiting me very well. The moment I arrived, people were coming up to me and introducing themselves. It has continued nearly every day because the HR manager posted my picture and a bit of background in different locations throughout the facility. The manner in which people seem to treat each other, both in the office and in the community at large, reflects a lot of courtesy and respect. This is why the community is deemed a good place to raise a family.

CLAUDE!

Welcome to the USA kid! The above section of your post is sooo worthy of not just a quote but 3 more cheers from me. A lifer New Yorker that had his best freind live there for a long time. I would visit there about once a year and have allways loved that place.

Besure to travel the Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline drive. WOW! Real nice.

Your also right about the people there. Then again, anytime you leave the big city rat race behind, even the way they curse at ya is so nice I dont get mad. LOL Sorry to those I almost ran over. I swear I really didn't see you. Eh-hem, er, I ment Ya'll, er, youa'll, er...can I have some help here?

Claude, continued good luck!!!!

(Oh dang! You just missed Carlie Pa.'s Chrysler meet. All well, theres next year!)

Welcome to the U.S.A. Keep your spirits up, everything will work out. Get out to some cruise ins to take your mind off of things and make all sorts of new friends at the cruise ins. That's how I connected with car guys and gals when I came to North Carolina 3 yrs ago.

Hey brother. Now that your phone, internet, cable, etc. are on, this will make things a little easier for your transition. The U.S.A. is a great place and I'm glad to have you. Talk to you soon. Christopher

Good luck and keep your head up. Im in va and have been a lifer here. If you need anything pm me. :)

Sounds like things continue to go in a healthier and more productive direction. That's wonderful. I am happy for you. Please keep it going and I am looking forward to hearing how your visit goes with the kids in August.

Good to hear from ya Claudius.

We miss you in the n/p forum specially since you know more about American history than most college professors.....well, I did not mean that as an insult believe me..,but you know what I mean.

Continued prayers for you and your family bud, and congrats on the new job and warm welcome.

I had to get away from the N&P forum because it was simply too hostile and negative. I had seen others inquiring about getting out of the forum for the same reasons. My energy was better spent elsewhere.

Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty and the pig likes it.

I am currently driving my 1994 Suburban and it is a real gas guzzler. It was our secondary vehicle back home and did not see the road much but it was a tank that you felt comfortable in whenever the weather got ugly. I do not even know if I will be permitted to license it down here. I may go shopping for an X3 because I have seen a number of 2004 models that ranged from $13K to $15K with 80K to 90K miles.

As a former 525i owner, I have a strong bias toward BMW despite the tendency toward electrical glitches.

If anyone needs a historical fact check, drop me a PM. The worst I can say is, "I do not know". On the way through North Dakota where the highway follows the Missouri River, I came upon Ft. Mandan at Washburn. I had taken the children to Astoria, OR where Lewis & Clarke spent the winter of 1805-06. I did not know exactly where Ft. Mandan (L&C, winter of 1804-05) was located but I stopped in for a break and bought gifts to send home. I find it fun to make historical learning interesting for my children. History, well taught, can be enjoyed by all.

Good to hear from ya Claudius.

We miss you in the n/p forum specially since you know more about American history than most college professors.....well, I did not mean that as an insult believe me..,but you know what I mean.

Continued prayers for you and your family bud, and congrats on the new job and warm welcome.

Claudius, I'm glad to see you getting settled in! I've always enjoyed your posts and will look forward to more as you explore your new surroundings.

Continued prayers are here for the asking. Thank you for the update. I'm glad that you've found a place full of hospitality and warm welcomes in which to relocate.

Glad to hear you made the trip safely. Hoping that everything works out for you and your family. Good to see you back online

Grant

Hey there! I will be on a road trip tomorrow that will include passing through Fredericksburg. I am going out to look at some used BMW X3 (2004 models) in Harrisonburg and Fredericksburg. If I do not melt in the 100F heat, I may also make a quick pass through one of the four battlefield sites in the area.

Good luck and keep your head up. Im in va and have been a lifer here. If you need anything pm me. :)

-
Back