Last ditch effort for used 318

-
Im gonna mess with spark timing another day. No time. Have to fix power steering
pressure line leak on my LHS.

Here is my findings:

50% better throttle response off line.
Chirps tires, thats about it, but accelerates quiker to higher RPM.
Car actually pulls much better in lower RPMS.
All in all, an improvement from before.

A great $80 fix(+labor/swearing extra)

Love my Big Block!

Thanks for all input, its motivating!

Dave

Is the 12 adv. with vacuum connected ? It should probably be around 14 w/o vacuum connected . Also which vacuum ported or manifold? It should be manifold.Set it w/o vacuum hooked up then connect it to manifold vacuum(vacuum at idle).

No! Hook the vacuum advance to a ported vacuum port on the carb. It will not have vacuum at idle and will be above the throttle plates and higher than the port on the base plate. There has been pages of discussions about this and the vacuum advance is designed to work off ported vacuum.

Correct ,manifold vacuum too far advanced at idle. Ported vacuum used

Wrong, an engine can tolerate more advance at idle and light cruise.With manifold vacuum when you open the throttle the vacuum drops out and mechanical takes over.
Switch and tell me what feels better.

Also if you read most of these articles they switched to ported after emissions started in the early seventys. You might think too much adv. at idle but not so.

Here is my findings:

50% better throttle response off line.
Chirps tires, thats about it, but accelerates quiker to higher RPM.
Car actually pulls much better in lower RPMS.
All in all, an improvement from before.

A great $80 fix(+labor/swearing extra)
Very good to hear..... and thanks for the report. Just like fixing a worn timing chain on a, stock low compression /6.... well, except for the tire chirping LOL!

Wrong, an engine can tolerate more advance at idle and light cruise.With manifold vacuum when you open the throttle the vacuum drops out and mechanical takes over.
Switch and tell me what feels better.

Also if you read most of these articles they switched to ported after emissions started in the early seventys. You might think too much adv. at idle but not so.

Depends on the vehicle "when they switched." The thing is if you are going to use manifold vacuum, YOU NEED a completely different distributor curve than for ported. I don't like, and have never used manifold vacuum

In this case, I think it accellerates cleaner with timed vacuum port vs manifold, on spark advance set at 15* initial.

Havent had time yet,(weather) to mess around with advance timing combos/ carb/linkage adjustments.

I still think theres a little room for improvement yet. But its running like a small V8 now instead of a straight 4. Lol.

Thanks
D

I still think theres a little room for improvement yet. But its running like a small V8 now instead of a straight 4. Lol.
That is good to hear! The updates are valuable for those reading and following in your situation.

D when you tried manifold vac did you set initial with the vac hose plugged and after you set initial reconnected it ?

I have no idea which PCV valve you are running but there are several different choices and some have less bypass than others. Something that may help your low end tune.

-
Back