Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
Any time you change caster (the forward or rearward tilt of the steering axis) you will change the toe setting. Same can be said for camber (the inward or outward tilt of the wheel) the last angle you set is toe. Toe is always measured at spindle height. This eliminates the effects of camber. If camber was dead zero on both wheels, this would not matter. Caster is not a tire wearing angle (directly) Its nice to have toe roughly set as this can affect the caster measurement.
Adequate caster for radial tired A-bodies is difficult because the factory did not give or need the amount of caster that radial tires desire.

What CF’s link is trying to say is a radial tire is kind of mushy. It’s like driving a hacky sac ball (radial tire) compared to a super ball (bias ply)so the projection of the caster angle, the imaginary line drawn through the upper and lower ball joint measured forward to back and projected to the road surface contact patch, is a little behind on the radial compared to the bias ply tire hence the wanting of more caster for the radial tire.

There are a ton of other reasons for tire wear, especially when we depart from factory geometry. Set back has to be taken into consideration when setting toe. Pretty much need a computer for that.
Turn out on turns should me measured. Bump steer, scrub radius wheel offset change from factory really throws a monkey wrench into things. Hell just the tires themselves can make a car pull. I can’t count how many time I corrected a “pull” by cross rotating the front tires.
If I was Fred, I would give my tie rod adjusters about a 1/4 maybe a 1/8 turn inward on both sides. Probably some dynamic slop to overcome. Mark, I would swap my front tires side to side and see what happens.
Thanks Charlie I can do that.

Thanks Charlie I can do that.
I think I said it before. Because the radial tire has a softer side wall, it will flex just a little with a slightly “off” toe setting. The whole tread just shifts a bit. The tread doesn’t suffer other than that leading edge either the inside or outside depending on the toe condition.
Bias tires won’t do that. Because the sidewall won’t flex like a radial tire, the whole tread will feather.

1687761141308.gif

Morning guys,
Well the weather is your guess today.
My neighbour came over and cut my backyard for me yesterday afternoon.
He wouldn't let me pay him or even a Crown and Coke. He'd been cutting grass all day and he looked beat.
He's a great neighbour but we do things for each other but I'm sure I owe him more than he owes me.
Have a great day

Morning guys,
Well the weather is your guess today.
My neighbour came over and cut my backyard for me yesterday afternoon.
He wouldn't let me pay him or even a Crown and Coke. He'd been cutting grass all day and he looked beat.
He's a great neighbour but we do things for each other but I'm sure I owe him more than he owes me.
Have a great day
Wow nice neighbor mine won't even wave hello when I'm out in the yard.

My wife and I went to Costco this morning. When we came out the sky was black as the ace of spades.
We had to go to another store in the same plaza and man oh man did it ever rain. Thunder and lightning as well. So we walked around till it calmed down.
My buddy came over and put my power steering pump back in and he just got back into his car and down it came again just not as bad.
Got an appointment at the alignment shop tomorrow at 11 so hope the rain holds off or I'll get one for Thurs or Fri.
Have a great evening guys

What do ya get when you cross a pissed off sheep and a mad cow. An animal in a baaad moood
At my house it would be lamb chops and rib eye with lots of spices on the BBQ.
Damn I know how to settle an argument. :thumbsup:

-
Back