Late B transmission removal question

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
'79 Magnum. Looks as if I'll need to remove the transmission. I've not done this on a late B body. Looks like the crossmember won't drop unless I remove the torsion bars ???? Is this right ??

Thanks in advance

'79 Magnum. Looks as if I'll need to remove the transmission. I've not done this on a late B body. Looks like the crossmember won't drop unless I remove the torsion bars ???? Is this right ??

Thanks in advance
Maybe check on FBBO. If you have to remove the torsion bars, that is just nuts.

I helped my late brother-in-law replace the 904 in his 78? Magnum. It is a pain, but it will be easier if you nosedive it out and back in, rather than fooling with the cross member. Just make a piece of metal to bolt to the bellhousing, that holds the converter tight into the pump. It will be easier if you have a helper. My brother-in-law was kind of a wormy little guy, but the 2 of us did it easily. Getting back on the jack to put it back in after you fix it is the hard part. Other than the jack drama, it's same ol same ol transmission swap.

I helped my late brother-in-law replace the 904 in his 78? Magnum. It is a pain, but it will be easier if you nosedive it out and back in, rather than fooling with the cross member. Just make a piece of metal to bolt to the bellhousing, that holds the converter tight into the pump. It will be easier if you have a helper. My brother-in-law was kind of a wormy little guy, but the 2 of us did it easily. Getting back on the jack to put it back in after you fix it is the hard part. Other than the jack drama, it's same ol same ol transmission swap.
Thanks, I really appreciate the experience. I had wondered if there was room to do that, but nice to know at least the 904 would nose dive out. NOW, will a 727 do the same.... :)

I don't think so. I contemplated doing that, but, I think the 727 is too long. I grumbled, pissed and moaned, then did it the hard way..... Removed the bars and their cross member.

If it's a small block car, just build a 904 to live long and prosper in the big heavy car. It may be a 998 or 999 anyway by that year of car? I honestly don't know if a 727 could be stuck in there with the nosedive method, because they are so much longer. Hey.....I know! Find you a shorty 727 out of a motor home, lol. Good luck to you whatever you do, and keep in mind.... if 318willrun, a 904willrun just as good! :)

Once the transmission is backed off a little bit, you can just use a nut and bolt through one of the holes for the mounting to the engine and run it through a the closed-end of a close/opening end wrench... just have the wrench hold it in...

If it's a small block car, just build a 904 to live long and prosper in the big heavy car. It may be a 998 or 999 anyway by that year of car? I honestly don't know if a 727 could be stuck in there with the nosedive method, because they are so much longer. Hey.....I know! Find you a shorty 727 out of a motor home, lol. Good luck to you whatever you do, and keep in mind.... if 318willrun, a 904willrun just as good! :)
It would be very expensive for me to put a 904 in it... I'd need the adaptor for a big block

I thought it might be easier to just pull the engine and transmission together.....

Oh, ok....didn't know it was a big block. I guess I just figured a 79 would be a small block. Since it's a big block, to me it would be easier to pull/install them together, rather than fooling with the sidewinder torsion bars and crossmember. If you have one of those tilter things to use with the cherry picker, it shouldn't be too bad. A spare 727 slip yoke held in with an old coat hanger or paracord will cut down on the red puddle in the floor....lol.

:thumbsup:

Oh, ok....didn't know it was a big block. I guess I just figured a 79 would be a small block. Since it's a big block, to me it would be easier to pull/install them together, rather than fooling with the sidewinder torsion bars and crossmember. If you have one of those tilter things to use with the cherry picker, it shouldn't be too bad. A spare 727 slip yoke held in with an old coat hanger or paracord will cut down on the red puddle in the floor....lol.

:thumbsup:

What are side winder T bars? The late B body T bars are straight and slightly longer than the older B body T bars.

318WR - I have a Magnum, the trans connects to the secondary crossmember. It might be a PIA to drop it since there rarely removed and the see a lot of road hazard collection and strikes.

I have zero issues removing the engine and trans together but the have not removed the trans by itself. I, at the moment, can not see anything that would be in the way of removing the trans that same as another old MoPar. Perhaps the biggest thing is the counter weight on the transmissions tail shaft which you might not have. I’m not sure if that counter weight is installed on the B engine drivetrain. It was there on a 904.

Anything else late B body related you want to ask about, PM me.
I’ve had two of these ‘79 Magnums for over 30 years. While I don’t know everything about them since I have not had to take the dash down, I have a pretty good handle on things.

What are side winder T bars? The late B body T bars are straight and slightly longer than the older B body T bars.
Yep....brain fart! :BangHead: I guess I was thinking F/M/J bodies. 727 would still be a pain in the *** to get out though, without removing all that stuff. Been 20 years since I worked on one, but I remember the 904 not being too easy to nosedive out, but do-able.

Having swapped in a 400/727 in place of the 318/904, it was easy. It did however, slide right in. When I replaced the 400/727, I went with a 5.9/727 in an unconventional way by most routes. I’d suggest this route for ease on the muscles.
I suggest an engine hoist and a method to raise the front of the cars nose that way.

When I did this, I planted the engine bay and rails.

IMG_0102.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

The weirdo transverse T bars are packed within the K frame and are not in the way one once. That system is easier to work with in engine swaps.

318WR - I have a Magnum, the trans connects to the secondary crossmember. It might be a PIA to drop it since there rarely removed and the see a lot of road hazard collection and strikes.

I have zero issues removing the engine and trans together but the have not removed the trans by itself. I, at the moment, can not see anything that would be in the way of removing the trans that same as another old MoPar. Perhaps the biggest thing is the counter weight on the transmissions tail shaft which you might not have. I’m not sure if that counter weight is installed on the B engine drivetrain. It was there on a 904.

Anything else late B body related you want to ask about, PM me.
I’ve had two of these ‘79 Magnums for over 30 years. While I don’t know everything about them since I have not had to take the dash down, I have a pretty good handle on things.
When I was under the car after installing the 440/727, I realized that if I wanted to pull the tranny, the Torsion bars go through the cross member, unlike the other mopars. Now I may be pulling the tranny. To remove the cross member, I'd have to pull the torsion bars. Not sure I know what you mean by "secondary" cross member.
  • And I can't crawl back under it right now with the weather, but there is a chance I could have missed something. But it sure looked like the crossmember extended across the car and the t-bars ran through it. I'm 99.98% sure that is what I saw. I've dropped the cross members on various mopars multiple times and swapped tranny's, but this one isn't set up that way as my eye saw it

-
Back