LCA pin loose in bushing

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install new Moog K791 LCA bushings and found that the pin slides right into the bushing!! ie no interference fit!! Anyone had this happen?
Maybe a bad bushing? It says Moog on the box, and made in India
Any suggestions appreciated
Thx
Jim
IMG_6868_1280x960.JPG

Ive had great luck using moog products on my '04 Jeep... but as hemi71 said, just about 99% of what I have seen from Moog that is made for our classic cars is total junk. I got my full front end bushing kit from PST. The front bushing was actually such a tight fit on the pin that it was impossible to get it all together without my press, It should not be loose at all.

Yep, those new MOOG bushings are a piece of s*#t.
Been discussed, talked about, numerous times on this forum.
They are junk. Throw them away.
Buy bushings from the Proforged company.

Thanks!!!! 115-10015 - Proforged Control Arm Bushings On order!!

What is the compression when installed? I do Not like Seeing what you posted though! For me another 25 years before thinking about replacement but darn!

Another poster says that the Proforged ones are too large on the OD and cant be pressed in!!! Said that AC Delco 45G9008 have the Correct dimensions, (Which they post on line) so I ordered them as well. Will send back any that have defective dimensions. I’ll post results here on Moog, Proforged and AC Delco.
Jim

Just did a pair with MOOG bushings and they were fine. But, I also know there’s a lot of crap on the market these days, too.

If you want to switch to delrin bushings and hand fit pins, I have them in stock.

I also have a pair of old (80s) NOS McQuay Norris lca bushings.

Here are the measurements I've got so far. Only 1 of these 4 bushings can be pressed onto the pivot pin. Still waiting on the Proforged ones to see if they are any good.
LCA Bushing Measurements.jpg

The company where I purchased the AC Delco bushings is sending me another set (free), so will see if they are any good. These were the boxes from the 2 AC Delco ones.
IMG_6891_1024x768.JPG

IMG_6891_1024x768.JPG
IMG_6893_1024x768.JPG

Here are the measurements I've got so far. Only 1 of these 4 bushings can be pressed onto the pivot pin. Still waiting on the Proforged ones to see if they are any good.
View attachment 1715543840

While I applaud the effort, it’s important to note that not all of the LCA pins are the same either. I have 3 sets of stock LCA pins and all three have different measurements.

While I applaud the effort, it’s important to note that not all of the LCA pins are the same either. I have 3 sets of stock LCA pins and all three have different measurements.

What are the diameters of the ones you have? Mine are 0.810" and 0.811" and both were pressed solidly into the old bushings, which were Moog K791 purchased back in 1999

Got another AC Delco bushing today (to replace the bad one) - it was also JUNK. 0.814" ID vs the Delco spec of 0.810.
image1.jpeg

From other experiences I decided to look at the last two ACDelco bushings that I bought 7 months ago from Rock Auto. I bought six at that time. I have installed four and they were fine. The last two were for my GTS. Well, one of them is loose. I just sent a message to ACDelco since Rock Auto will not warranty them after this long. Sucks as they have a lifetime warranty...I do have an old stock McQuay Norris on the shelf that I may use...

Did you send the message to AC Delco by email? If so, What is The address and I’ll send one as well

There’s been a recall of the Moog LCA bushings. Heard about it a few months ago.

Google it

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-t...ing/12/moog-lower-control-arm-bushings/15562/

“K 791 - Lower control arm bushings : I just called Moog and was informed that they know of this problem. They changed suppliers in Late January and realized a change was made to the part. According to Moog Customer Service they have notified suppliers of the problem. They are re-engineering K791's but no ETA. Funny, my suppliers didn't say anything!

So I asked if Moog was going to notify suppliers or put out a recall notice cause this is kinda a critical part. No response other than .......were working on it

Moog 1 (800) 325-8886 opt 2 call them and give them Shxx.“

And, by the way, quality control problems are not just in the suspension arena. I recently (a couple of months ago) got a Comp Cams kit for my son's 440. The lifters were very loose in the bores. Checked the part number on the box. Correct number for a Mopar. Took out the micrometer, .875" instead of .904". Hmmmmm. Find out they're Ford lifters. Summit exchanges them for another box of Comp lifters. Still .875". Exchanged those for some Crane lifters. Now we've got .904" lifters, BUT the boxes are the same size and the printed label is EXACTLY the same except for part number. Date code, bar code, everything is laid out the same...

And, by the way, quality control problems are not just in the suspension arena. I recently (a couple of months ago) got a Comp Cams kit for my son's 440. The lifters were very loose in the bores. Checked the part number on the box. Correct number for a Mopar. Took out the micrometer, .875" instead of .904". Hmmmmm. Find out they're Ford lifters. Summit exchanges them for another box of Comp lifters. Still .875". Exchanged those for some Crane lifters. Now we've got .904" lifters, BUT the boxes are the same size and the printed label is EXACTLY the same except for part number. Date code, bar code, everything is laid out the same...

Experienced Mopar engine builder buddy of mine had TWO new comp XE 268 cam and lifter kit go bad on the run stand on initial fire up.

Then I sold him and old brand new MP purple shaft kit ...

No issues whatsoever !

He talked an his buddy at a high end engine shop. They said with all these performance company mergers and investment company buyouts there’s noticeable quality issues.

They had comp cams go bad too. Edelbrock just laid off a bunch of people too. Issues their too.

-
Back