Leaking Freeze Plugs -Help-

-

ozley_2000

Reaction score
Has Anyone Changed the freeze plugs on a 1966 barracuda or similar A body with a 273. I noticed a antifreeze leak coming out the rear of my engine. Took it over to the local tire shop where they put it on the lift and took a closer look. Guy at the shop said it was my two lower rear freeze plugs that where leaking. So now the question is what is involved in replacing these buggers?

As alway, Thanks Oz

Pull the engine and replace them all.Anti-freeze turns acidic and rots the plugs from inside out.You,ll replace 2 then it will search for the weakest spot,which will be the next rotted one.Save the headache and replace all.Trust me!

X2.. best to pull the engine and replace them all. ( I know, not what you wanted to hear).. been there, not done that, broke down on a road trip, wishin I had fixed them all at once.

Ok while I have the engine out I can do some painting and degrease the engine. I will also look for any other leak. This is not the worse new it will help me clean up the engine compartment. Thanks all!

I had one leaking in the back of the right head.

Dad looked at it, got out the drill and drill bit and drilled a hole in the firewall behind the head. Took a punch and knocked it in turning so we could get it out with plyers. I probably put in a rubber plug.

As far as the ones in the bellhousing area, pulling the trans or engine is only option, pull the engine change them all plus any other gaskets

It has been years since I have had to change one. One of the hardest I ever changed was the one in the right head of my brothers 69 383 GTS Dart.

Was on my way to school and pulled out on US 40 and stood on it, white smoke started rolling out the back. Antifreeze was hitting the hot exhaust, so I took the guy riding with me back home so he could get his car, I skipped school that day ( hey I had 2.5 hours auto mech, so I was still doing what i would have at school) and spent the whole day changing the stupid freeze plug. Mom and Dad had already went to work and I got it done before they got home.

Hey Wildcat,I had a similar problem.A frost plug leaking at the back of the driverside head.Instead of pulling the head,I pulled the steering column to get to the bad/leaky plug.I got it fixed in 20 mins.My brain was working that day!:cheers:
re and re of 66 Dart 012.jpg
re and re of 66 Dart 013.jpg

re and re of 66 Dart 012.jpg

re and re of 66 Dart 013.jpg

If you're planning on keeping the car forever and ever, use the marine freeze plugs (brass). You'll never ever have a rotted out plug. Every one of my motors gets the brass ones.

Right after I got my Swinger back on the road with my tired 273 I was washing it and noticed brown water flowing down the driveway. Yep rear plug was shot. Pulled engine and replaced them all in under 8 hours by myself. With brass.

Now we just need to get that engine hoist and do your starter at the same time.

I agree with every one here AND wen your dun go to a napa or sum place the sales truck parts (big trucks)and tell them you want the additive they use for the colling system.it comes in pt.bottles and will stop the acetate and the colling system will stay cleaner..:cheers:

Like 65 Dartman said, definetly go with brass plugs. I remember wayyy back in the day when my Dart was still under warranty, ( yep, 5 year, 50,000 mile) I lost a freeze plug at the rear of the block and had it replaced under warranty by the dealer. I didn't have the equipment back in those days to do it myself. Ever since, I've always used brass.

-
Back