Lean idle. Rich cruise.

-
Yea I agree with @Newbomb Turk it’s nice to have that many options for placing bleeds where you want them to really dial in the curve. It’s insane that carburetors nowadays come with this much adjustability and no proper instructions on what to do or how to do it. It’s almost like they should give people less adjustability so they don’t get in the weeds on their own tune up. Once you start moving emulsion around you’ll really see what it can do to the curve. Block 3 of those and move 2 around and you will see it in the afr gauge.

The older 3310's had a nice emulsion package in them.

Someone got the bright idea to add a couple more holes to every performance carb built. Monkey see, monkey do in the industry, 5emulsions it is, now even more confusion in a metering block that most don't understand.

Simple and effective left the building!

The older 3310's had a nice emulsion package in them.

Someone got the bright idea to add a couple more holes to every performance carb built. Monkey see, monkey do in the industry, 5emulsions it is, now even more confusion in a metering block that most don't understand.

Simple and effective left the building!

IMG_0838.jpeg

Here's my results, so far. Starting with brand new plugs.

Blocked "2 and #5 just in the primary block. Pretty big change. Friday was 82*, 60% RH, and it was damn near PERFECT. Idling at 13.5, cruising at anywhere between 2400 and 3200 right around 14 ish. WOT I think a little lean at 13.4 to 14. This was WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. Could not get to the spot to really wring it out. Plugs looked new, so maybe a wee bit lean?

Now Saturday, 90* Very high RH, and everywhere except WOT a bit rich. Nowhere near as bad as it was, but a couple plugs, #6 and #8 a bit dark. That's the side my AFR is on.

So you guys definitely got me on to something! So thanks for all the info. Not even going out today. It's blistering out there and soupy air.

Soooooo next maybe leave it alone, or try blocking the #1 bleed also.... Or just blocking 2 and 5 on the secondary block. These bleeds are definitely very receptive to change. Obviously. I'm so tired of draining fuel bowls it's getting monotonous.

Talked to my dyno guy and he suggested a Super Sucker spacer. I only have 3/8 inch to spare underhood, but it's something to ponder...............

as a side note, my nephew says he isn't thrilled about recording my wideband gauge once I can get back to our spot. Says I scared the **** out of him.
It's weird how we get used to these things, and it feels like no big deal. Throw a newbie in the passenger seat, dump it off the 2 step at 3500, run it out to 5800 or so in 4th gear then ask THEM how it felt.
:eek:

Here's my results, so far. Starting with brand new plugs.

Blocked "2 and #5 just in the primary block. Pretty big change. Friday was 82*, 60% RH, and it was damn near PERFECT. Idling at 13.5, cruising at anywhere between 2400 and 3200 right around 14 ish. WOT I think a little lean at 13.4 to 14. This was WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. Could not get to the spot to really wring it out. Plugs looked new, so maybe a wee bit lean?

Now Saturday, 90* Very high RH, and everywhere except WOT a bit rich. Nowhere near as bad as it was, but a couple plugs, #6 and #8 a bit dark. That's the side my AFR is on.

So you guys definitely got me on to something! So thanks for all the info. Not even going out today. It's blistering out there and soupy air.

Soooooo next maybe leave it alone, or try blocking the #1 bleed also.... Or just blocking 2 and 5 on the secondary block. These bleeds are definitely very receptive to change. Obviously. I'm so tired of draining fuel bowls it's getting monotonous.

Talked to my dyno guy and he suggested a Super Sucker spacer. I only have 3/8 inch to spare underhood, but it's something to ponder...............

as a side note, my nephew says he isn't thrilled about recording my wideband gauge once I can get back to our spot. Says I scared the **** out of him.
It's weird how we get used to these things, and it feels like no big deal. Throw a newbie in the passenger seat, dump it off the 2 step at 3500, run it out to 5800 or so in 4th gear then ask THEM how it felt.
:eek:

You should only need two emulsion open. 1 and 4 should be open and the rest blocked to start. Tune from there.

That seems like you’re on a good track and it sounds like your main jetting is close. I’d add in a bit more WOT fuel in the PCVR since you’re cruise afr is good and wot is lean.

That seems like you’re on a good track and it sounds like your main jetting is close. I’d add in a bit more WOT fuel in the PCVR since you’re cruise afr is good and wot is lean.
Yep. Opened up the front PVRC to .072. Think I'll do the same on the secondary side.

Also plan to try Newbomb's advice and leave #1 and #4 emulsions open and block the rest. I feel like I'm getting really close.

Yep. Opened up the front PVRC to .072. Think I'll do the same on the secondary side.

Also plan to try Newbomb's advice and leave #1 and #4 emulsions open and block the rest. I feel like I'm getting really close.
What were the pcvr sizes previously?

Well thanks, now I gotta run over there later. I'm second guessing myself!:popcorn:
I absolutely HAVE to write everything down. I’ll get so far from what my brain thinks is in there if I don’t. I have a folder with a page for each carb I mess with or I will not be able to remember any of it.

Just checked my records. Boy was I off. Primary was .070 factory. I drilled them to .078. I'm assuming secondary will be .070 also. Probably drill them to .078 also.

I have been writing everything down, too. No way I'd remember anything.

-
Back