Let there be.........TRAILER WENCH LOL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Found an old early model Warn 8K 8274 winch on the CL this afternoon for 150. It'll look real good next summer on the front of my trailer!!!!

This is the early model with the band brake, and gearbox "in - out" It doesn't use 4 solenoids like the newer style. Be jus' fine fer that thar trailer.

Attachments

• Warn8274.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 546
That is actually a model 5687 . The 8274 is the next version, stands for 8=8000 pound pull , 2= two direction motor , 74= 1st year in production . Still a great winch, the only down side is no power out, so controlling something coming off the trailer might be tricky . I make a custom billet brake handle if you break yours .

Well.........that's what that brake is for. This one is in fairly nice shape, 'n you're right it's not an 8274. I HAD one of those back when I had my old Landcruiser, around 75?76? Jeep dealers had a sale on them, and I got one. I actually added a mechanical cable to hold off the ratchet on the brake so that it would free-wheel out instead of locking the brake. Not sure, anymore, why I did that.

You mean "winch"??? LOL @ the wench ...

I know, Leanna, LOL. This has become a thorn to me. Half the yokels on CL can't spell, so if you are searching for a winch, you ALSO have to search for "wench." Putting "wench" in the search almost always results in an entire page of results

I'm payin' today. Screwed up my back getting that heavy SOB out'ta the trunk of the hated Olds Cutlass

Already have a 2" receiver up front on the trailer, I'll just weld this thing to a stub and plug 'er in

one of the best additions to a trailer ever ....if you are like me and can not physically push a car onto a trailer then a winch is your best friend....my friends wonder how I load and unload cars by myself when I am so little and I tell them "let the machine do the work". When I try and push a car I usually cant even get it to budge, but the winch will pull the car up even with flat tires as long as the battery is a toughy.

I know what you meant, but this is what I envisioned when I read the title.

46915d1340153621-trailer-wench-questions-t-wench-jpg

I digress. THIS is a trailer wench.

Attachments

• TRAILER WENCH.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 345
that's one ugly women! the trailer court gumper. lol

A trailer wench runs around bare-footed. Trailer trash wears high heels in the pea gravel while hanging up her laundry on the clothesline.

one of the best additions to a trailer ever ....if you are like me and can not physically push a car onto a trailer then a winch is your best friend.....

I spent most of my life ratcheting come-alongs. I now have three, used to have two. I removed the useless slip hooks and installed "grab" hooks on both, which, if you are unaware, "grab" any chain link you wish...........

All of these are grab hooks except for B and C at top right.......

113-chainhooks.jpg

This allows you to "use up" one come - along, then extend the second, and "grab" into the chain, and just keep leap frogging as needed. I've loaded all kinds of stuff like this, including junkers with no wheels, just slide 'em up there.

Last thing I hauled on my old, beater trailer before I bought this newer one was the junker Van which I pulled a 360 / TF A727 out of. It ruined my entire afternoon, as the rear axle was locked. We had to wet down the pavement and trailer to slide it. I spent all morning on that, and when I got home I just crashed the rest of the day. I've had the old trailer since about '72, bought it in San Diego when I was in the Navy.

That old girl has been from San Diego to here in N Idaho, Lethbridge, CA a couple of times, Cranbrook, CA a couple of times, Moses Lake, Missoula, and down to Moscow/ Lewiston Id a couple of times, and countless other "local" trips 100-150 mi round trip. It didn't owe me a thing. Guy gave me 400 for the old girl.

2lmrmkx.jpg

Main reason I bought the newer trailer was the Cletrac, but now I've sold it.........

The mess it was when I hauled it home........

sqi934.jpg

Shortly before it sold. The grille had been cherry.......I managed to stuff a branch up in the grill.....

attachment.php

The old trailer with the Cletrac on board. You had to run the tracks up on timbers, and jack up the blade to clear the fenders. This was my "Unca Bill" RIP. He was a Marine, saw serious action in the Pacific Islands

14d1p9j.jpg

LOL. I feel bad I never got it painted and really done. When I bought it, I thought an estate from my parents would give me enough to move out of town. THAT is a long story, but my health is bad enough now, that a move is not appealing, nor upkeep on a rural place.

The original had a Pintoed pushrod engine that looked like it had been heaved in there by a couple of guys, a reject from Junyard Wars. It now has a Toyota 20R and 4 speed against the factory 3 speed. HEI module with Toy breakerless distributor.

A photo of the mess when I got it home

2ah5v9l.jpg

Under that steenkeeng pile of smouldering mess is a Pintoed 4 whanger and whatever kind of automatic Ford used in 'em.

168ak5j.jpg

Middle of the project

1zxsi36.jpg

I did use it some LOL

w6ru40.jpg

20adv8j.jpg

Trailer wench - cousin to the lot lizard commonly found at truck stops. More forgiving - will do you in the dry van if you are running a day cab instead of a sleeper. Not to be confused with the bed wench used in Colonial days as a "belly Warmer" and other functions. Highly recommended by Abe Lincoln!
Have to add, a winch is a must with advancing age. I moved 2 of my A-Bodies and brought in 56 F-100 from Ohio with a friends car trailer and winch. Didn't strain the jewels at all. Rolled all 3 right off the trailer into the garage under full control. I also bought a 1949 Ford 8N tractor with a Dearborn front loader, 3 hooks on the front bucket come in handy for lifting. Also picked up a 3 point hitch backhoe from a cemetery in Buffalo for $500 and resurrected it with all new hoses. It still bleeds a little fluid but sure saves the back. Can't beat hydraulics!

-
Back