Let's be honest about the holiday season

-
x2... the true meaning of Christmas is slowly deteriorating into a materialistic spending frenzy.

x3.

This point was driven home to me this year when we took our kid to see Santa for the first time (he's too young to know what's even happening, but have to get the pics). $30 later we have a crappy low-quality printed Santa pic. OH, it's $10 extra for a crappy slightly-less-low-quality digital version? CHA CHING, so $40 later we have our first Santa pic.

OK, I know that some places have free Santas still, and we maybe could have found one, but this one had a real beard, so we had to pay him to let our kid sit on his lap for 20 seconds while someone who didn't give a hoot shot a picture of him at the wrong time and missed all the cute shots we could have gotten had we been allowed to do it ourselves for free.

Yeah, the spirit of Christmas is being lost. Clue people: it's not about how much plastic Chinese crap you can buy and throw at everyone around you, it's really not. It's not supposed to be a big money grab.

So long as we keep traditions alive, time spent with family, it will live though, despite all that distraction.

x2... the true meaning of Christmas is slowly deteriorating into a materialistic spending frenzy.

well really, the holiday is about oppressing people for the intent of entrenching a new religion onto a population of people with an already existing religion+ culture.

but that, and the non-historical religious version are just depressing...So instead the majority of people prefer to buy gifts, get together, and be happy....but for me, the buying gifts part just sucks(as i stated)

Wow! It seems like a lot of people who are disappointed with the "season" have the "What's in it for me?" Attitude about it.

Wow! It seems like a lot of people who are disappointed with the "season" have the "What's in it for me?" Attitude about it.

no kidding...you're right

any of you sourpusses been to church latey?....He welcomes all, what do you got to lose?

I like ThanksGiving. Eating, drinking, family and more drinking. Less stress than Christmas as far as being comercialized and a finanicial burden of gift giving.

Just an observation I made yesterday, I work at a rather expensive steakhouse... I noticed a lot of people seemed very glum and showed no gratitude for being fortunate enough to go out for a nice Christmas dinner. At one table (and no they were not Jewish) I was thanking them for their business and wishing them a happy new year and the lady cut me off mid-sentence "Do we get you to validate our valet ticket?" The husband was a cheapskate too lol.

This was the best Christmas I have had in decades. What made it special??
Doing things that matter. I am 49 years old and have never been to church in
my whole life until this month. My girl friend and I decided to bring
the magic and spirit back to our busy lives. We went to Christmas mass
and found that special feeling missing all these years. We donated
to the local food bank on 3 occasions this month, we donated to the
church coffers during the service. I donated a large turkey to the youth
center for a Christmas meal. I even decided to volunteer next Christmas
at the Salvation Army soup kitchen. I've had a good life and now it's time
to give back and make a difference to less fortunate. It's sound corny
but as I get older things that use to seem so important aren't so important
any more. My 83 year old father has had a few health issues this past year and he is still with us,
I am so grateful for that,I used that to motivate myself to be a better person.

Wilson
Ontario Canada

I love the Holidays. Don't let the anti-joy politically correct idiots get under your skin, Ray. Enjoy the season, and don't be put off by the idiots who look down at you for it.

well really, the holiday is about oppressing people for the intent of entrenching a new religion onto a population of people with an already existing religion+ culture.

but that, and the non-historical religious version are just depressing...So instead the majority of people prefer to buy gifts, get together, and be happy....but for me, the buying gifts part just sucks(as i stated)

Ah, yes, yet another thread where you're more than happy to bash religion yet again. Insecure, much?

You get out of it, as much as you put into it.
Gathering toys for less fortunate, or helping food banks, and yes of course, being involved with your church are all ways to feel the Christmas cheer.
I love this time of year, and especially enjoy a few rye and cokes with friends and family.

I for one LOVE Christmas...I understand about it turning into a spending frenzy but for us it's not about that. Our children are grown and all in college, we get them gifts but that's it. My wife and I don't exchange gifts, never have. It takes me almost two weeks to put up my outside holiday display. (I would post pictures but for some reason I can't do that anymore, and not sure why) Our city here still decorates the streets and we still drive around looking at Christmas lights. (People still do that here) We have Toys for Tots cruise in's and car shows all during the holiday season, great opportunity to get the cars out and do some good. I watch Christmas movies, and definitely eat and drink more than I should. I love feeling like a kid again. Really though, what we like is when the whole family gets together, it's tough to get everyone together during the year anymore this is the time we all get together, have a great time and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Just another day for me...Nice to spend with friends and family, but that's about it.

You know me, i make a point to never go, nothing useful there.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Being with my friends and celebrating with them at church restores my faith in mankind. There are still some good and decent people out there. My fellow church members have become some of my best friends and I look forward to seeing them once a week. We do a lot of volunteer work for the local community. We host a pancakes with Santa. All the money raised went to help local charities provide Christmas for those in need. Every year we have a giving tree where we provide a gift to those who probably wouldn't get one otherwise. All of the tags are taken the first week and some families are upset because they didn't get to donate a gift.

Just last night we worked a Christmas in the Park light display. We were paid $1000 for six hours of work. ALL of that money will go to local charities. We hand out candy and accept donations that help offset the cost of the 350k + lights. We see the smiles on the children's faces when they know they are getting a piece of candy and we wish EVERYONE a Merry Christmas, not happy holidays. Some people feel bad that they have nothing to donate, and we let them know that it is okay. Some people drop $20 in the pot. Some people drive right by in their brand new cars and don't even slow down. God loves them all.

This year my college age son gave me the best gift I could have gotten. He made it a point to come home in time to go to Christmas eve mass with us. My friends noticed that he was there and he was welcomed home like he was their son.

I agree with others that the commercialization of Christmas has kind of ruined it for some people, and that is sad. Being with my family on Christmas, opening gifts, eating good food, watching a movie or two, makes it all worth while.

This was the best Christmas I have had in decades. What made it special??
Doing things that matter. I am 49 years old and have never been to church in
my whole life until this month. My girl friend and I decided to bring
the magic and spirit back to our busy lives. We went to Christmas mass
and found that special feeling missing all these years. We donated
to the local food bank on 3 occasions this month, we donated to the
church coffers during the service. I donated a large turkey to the youth
center for a Christmas meal. I even decided to volunteer next Christmas
at the Salvation Army soup kitchen. I've had a good life and now it's time
to give back and make a difference to less fortunate. It's sound corny
but as I get older things that use to seem so important aren't so important
any more. My 83 year old father has had a few health issues this past year and he is still with us,
I am so grateful for that,I used that to motivate myself to be a better person.

Wilson
Ontario Canada

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

This guy gets it!!

I bet you are a real hoot to hang out with Magnumdust you seem so angry.

Still very important to me and my family. I know it must be tough if you are having serious family issues etc., but it's my favorite time of year. Celebrating the birth of my Savior, the music, the lights, church services, kids and grand kids, I love it all. AND, I love the folks who do go the extra mile, spread extra cheer, and brighten the lives of others through giving acts of kindness. Hmmm... think I know someone else who did that, and still does, His name is Jesus.

-
Back