Lifter rattle at start up

-

synchro66

Reaction score
Recently did a full rebuild in my 360…. I put Manley S/S. Chevy 2.02 / 1.6 valves in which have a .100” longer stem. As a result, I had to measure and order custom pushrods. Comp Cams camshaft and lifters. Ran the cam in no probs as per the book and runs beautifully. Oil is 65 at startup and drops down to about 55 at operating Temp. My main issue, is that the lifters seem a bit rattly for the first 60-90 seconds if the engine hasn’t been started for a couple days. Any thoughts??

We found with our 5.9 with Roller lifters (with 200K miles on them) that performance valvesprings were strong enough to collapse them when it sat a few days. (the stockers are pretty weak)
If you spin it over for 30 to 45 seconds before starting it they should be pretty well pumped up.

We found with our 5.9 with Roller lifters (with 200K miles on them) that performance valvesprings were strong enough to collapse them when it sat a few days. (the stockers are pretty weak)
If you spin it over for 30 to 45 seconds before starting it they should be pretty well pumped up.

Just curious.. did the OEM lifters hold up ok once pumped up? I'm planning on using some with trickflows (approx 305# over the nose, nothing crazy)

as the valves are longer did you measure the installed height of the new valve springs as they would probably be for stock mopar valves and may not have enough seat pressure with the longer valves. just a thought?
neil.

Is this a Magnum with hydraulic rollers or an LA with hydraulic flat tappets? If it's a Magnum, the lifers have a "correct" and "incorrect" way to install them. The oil holes should face toward the center of the engine. If they are installed with the oil holes to the outside of the engine, they will leak down.

as the valves are longer did you measure the installed height of the new valve springs as they would probably be for stock mopar valves and may not have enough seat pressure with the longer valves. just a thought?
neil.
Yes at 1.6.... 115lbs Im thinking valve springs causing a small amount of leakdown over 3 days...timed it at 55 seconds this morning before tappet noise stops completely. maybe just have to live with it i guess,,,

Climate here is sub tropical warm all year round...

Oil.jpg

With 100 thou longer chevy valves I would be worried about the rocker arm geometry and rocker arm valve sweep! I had a pair of heads done like this and messaged mike from B3 engineering in the states for a correction kit. He said his correction kit for those valves would not even fit under the rocker cover and if the geometry was not corrected the valve train would be very unstable at revs and could lead to rocker, pushrod and or valve failure. I spent six thousand on these heads only to put them under my bench and purchased a set of trick flow heads from B3 engineering and have never looked back, producing over 40 more HP on my 410 stroker than with my edelbrock heads and now revs cleanly to 6500.

With 100 thou longer chevy valves I would be worried about the rocker arm geometry and rocker arm valve sweep! I had a pair of heads done like this and messaged mike from B3 engineering in the states for a correction kit. He said his correction kit for those valves would not even fit under the rocker cover and if the geometry was not corrected the valve train would be very unstable at revs and could lead to rocker, pushrod and or valve failure. I spent six thousand on these heads only to put them under my bench and purchased a set of trick flow heads from B3 engineering and have never looked back, producing over 40 more HP on my 410 stroker than with my edelbrock heads and now revs cleanly to 6500.
Really? I put 318 valves in my slant 6 head. They're .300" longer than slant 6 valves. Got the correction kit from Mike and everything fits fine.

Yes at 1.6.... 115lbs Im thinking valve springs causing a small amount of leakdown over 3 days...timed it at 55 seconds this morning before tappet noise stops completely. maybe just have to live with it i guess,,,
New lifters at 115 on the seat and they are taking almost 1 minute to bleed up?
I'd be investigating that.

Recently did a full rebuild in my 360…. I put Manley S/S. Chevy 2.02 / 1.6 valves in which have a .100” longer stem. As a result, I had to measure and order custom pushrods. Comp Cams camshaft and lifters. Ran the cam in no probs as per the book and runs beautifully. Oil is 65 at startup and drops down to about 55 at operating Temp. My main issue, is that the lifters seem a bit rattly for the first 60-90 seconds if the engine hasn’t been started for a couple days. Any thoughts??
Every sb and bb I've ever had did this.

What’s the preload set at? And did you disassemble the lifters (even though they’re new) and clean them prior to installing them?

The lifters in my 340 rattle for a few seconds if the car sits for a couple days. Its normal, just let it idle until they quiet down. If your oiling system is healthy it shouldnt take long, maybe 10 seconds or so.

The lifters in my 340 rattle for a few seconds if the car sits for a couple days. Its normal, just let it idle until they quiet down. If your oiling system is healthy it shouldnt take long, maybe 10 seconds or so.
Yeah thanks Mike , I think its probably a thing ill have to live with...

preload... 30 thou from memory. No just installed without disassembly..
Not saying yours had trash in em, but I disassemble and clean every lifter before using them and more often than not I find junk from manufacturing in them. And that hangs up the check valves. .030 on preload is right in the normal range, but you may try experimenting with +or- .010 and see if the noise changes.

-
Back