Liver enzyme.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Queenie

View attachment IMG_0404 (Medium).jpg

our 12.5 year old Cattle Dog recently had some blood work. One of her Liver enzymes is elevated. Vet wants us to take her to have a abdominal ultra sound done. Facility in town that does these sort of things said they normally do some sort of needle biopsy at the same time. Both tests combined are around $410. They normally do not have to sedate the critter. Vet is saying that with the ultrasound they will know if she has any tumors etc. Also talking surgery. She also mentioned putting her on this supplement Denamarin. It is not a prescription so we can get it any where. Not exactly low buck, best price I found was $52.50 for 30 of them.

Queenie is not showing any signs of being ill. She is sleeping a lot, but in the past month or so we have had perhaps 2 days where the temperature was not in the 90's. And she is 12.5 years old. Her temperament has not changed, she is very loveable towards us and hates the pups. Eating/drinking with no troubles. Goes outside and plays with me every day. We have decided to not have the tests done. Queenie gets stressed very easily. We once tried to keep her in a crate when we were working. First night we came home she had bloody diarrhea and was vomiting. Try to restrain her on her back and she will bite. If something is found on the ultrasound the vet said it will more than likely surgery will be in order to take care of it....if it can be taken care of. From everything I have been told by various vets over the many years of being owned by several different pups that sedating a dog her age is very risky. If surgery had to be done on her she would not only have to face that risk but also be crated. We just don't want to subject her to that level of risk/stress. We realize that our decision may very well be putting her in in harms way, health wise but if we do the test and they found something she very well may not survive the surgery. Hope we have made the right decision.

What about these?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denamarin-225mg-Large-Bottle-75-Chewable-Tablets-for-Dogs-of-All-Sizes-/361009251593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540dd40509"]Denamarin 225mg Large Bottle 75 Chewable Tablets for Dogs of All Sizes | eBay[/ame]

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nutramax-Denamarin-Chewable-Tablets-225mg-75-Count-bottle-/121402142406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4421aec6"]New Nutramax Denamarin Chewable Tablets 225mg 75 Count Bottle | eBay[/ame]

I found these on Amazon, Doug. Says all weights and free shippin. Every little bit helps.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Labs-Denamarin-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B00BC0VXO4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1407248460&sr=8-14&keywords=denamarin"]Amazon.com : Nutramax Labs Denamarin Chewable Tablets Chewable Tabs - All Weights - 225mg, 30 count : Pet Bone And Joint Supplements : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Those are the lower dosage pills, Queenie is 44.2 pounds so she would need to take two of those a day. The ones I got are 425mg which comes out to $1.75 a day...First link would be $2 a day, second would be $2.30 a day and the third would be $2.76 a day, if my math is right...

Thanks for looking. If you find the 425mg pills for less than $52.50 shipped for 30 of them please do let me know.....

She takes 7 pills/vitamins a day now. Couple of them are 1 pill split in 2. Luckily she is one of those pups who does not fight about them. Granted, the pain killer she is taking gets wrapped in baloney and the others are chewable but....Gotta go, she is sitting here staring at me...that is the "where is my breakfast" signal......

I agree with your choices. Keep her comfy and happy and do what you can for her within your means. Give her a hug every day. :)

hope all goes well. we love those dog like our children.!!!!
Thanks...

I agree with your choices. Keep her comfy and happy and do what you can for her within your means. Give her a hug every day. :)
Thanks...

Doug. You and Your wife are good people. Would you like to adopt me. I'm housebroken, loyal to a fault, can stand on my hind legs and do other tricks and don't eat much.

On a serious note I found this. It may be worth reading.

http://rogersparkdog.blogspot.com/2009/12/side-effects-of-denamarin.html
Thanks....sent the boss the link....

I hope she gets over it.
Thanks...

Plan is to put her on the supplement for a month or so and have another blood test. Our bet is not real big on "alternative" methods so she might have a problem with the info from the link Ray provided...

Have one with liver enzyme issues, she's 17 and on Denamarin and Ursodiol. The only thing they would do is shave her for the ultrasound which besides tumors shows if she is having any blockage issues in her liver which the two drugs above is supposed to help. Mixie also had blood in her stools and is on an antibiotic, temporarily. This issue disappeared within a couple of days on the antibiotic. Have any questions let me know, I've been dealing with this for a few months. Love the picture, Queenie looks like a bundle of love.

Our GSD was on Liver meds for a while (I asked if there was a risk to putting her on the pills without doing the ultrasound/biopsy - can we just try it and see if it helps?)

She improved for quite a while (blood tests every 3 months(?) to see how she was doing).

Cancer finally got her (RIP, Twilight)

Have one with liver enzyme issues, she's 17 and on Denamarin and Ursodiol. The only thing they would do is shave her for the ultrasound which besides tumors shows if she is having any blockage issues in her liver which the two drugs above is supposed to help. Mixie also had blood in her stools and is on an antibiotic, temporarily. This issue disappeared within a couple of days on the antibiotic. Have any questions let me know, I've been dealing with this for a few months. Love the picture, Queenie looks like a bundle of love.
Will be contacting you shortly.....

Our GSD was on Liver meds for a while (I asked if there was a risk to putting her on the pills without doing the ultrasound/biopsy - can we just try it and see if it helps?)

She improved for quite a while (blood tests every 3 months(?) to see how she was doing).

Cancer finally got her (RIP, Twilight)
Our vet did mention that putting her on it without the ultrasound was an option. She told us that one way or the other the supplement was a good idea. If you don't mind me asking how long was Twilight on it?

Have read on several different sites that loose stools/diarrhea is fairly common. Every where I have read says to give it on an empty stomach. Any input would be appreciated as the pills are at our PO box, Momma, aka Queenie, will be starting them tomorrow. She spent while outside with me yesterday, chasing her big orange ball and playing in her kiddie pool. She has been the only dog I have had that loves splashing in the water. Just let the hose trickle water and she will spend 15 minutes or so just digging at the bottom of the pool.

Unrelated question. Seems like every dog we have had starts out being "mine" but after a year or so becomes Ernie's. I feed them. I give them there vitamin pills. When Momma was young she was in my lap every chance she had. Would be sitting at the computer, she would push her way up. Sitting outside, she was in my lap. After a few years or so she stopped this with me and started it with Ernie. Max, our Cattle Dog we had to put to sleep was even worse. He was a gift from my previous wife. I had him for 5 years or so, 2 of them it was just Fred, a Black & Tan Coonhound, Max & me. Ernie came along. Got to the point that I would be gone for a few days, running things up to Washington and when I got home I would walk in the house and he would come out form wherever him & Ernie were at, take a look at me and literally roll his eyes and walk away. Not even come to see me. We would be watching TV and he would be camped out under Ernie's Lazy Boy when she had it reclined. I got near her and he would raise his lip and "show me the tooth". I just don't get it......

Our vet did mention that putting her on it without the ultrasound was an option. She told us that one way or the other the supplement was a good idea. If you don't mind me asking how long was Twilight on it?

I don't recollect exactly, but 2 or 3 years (she was an older gal when she started on them). Perked her up and improved quality of life for her. Had a mass up by her heart that got her in the end. When she lost her appetite again, we found that. I'd need to check with my wife for more detailed info (she went to bed, so will have to wait).

(We named her Twilight because when we adopted her out of the pound, she was listed as 10 years old...I thought, "Who in their right mind would adopt a 10 year old large breed dog?" Then I thought about why I was there...had just lost my 10 year old doberrottiemix to bone cancer...I would've given anything for a couple more years with her, so figured I'd give those years to Twilight (so named because she was in her twilight years)...out vet said she was more likely 6 or 7 and her teeth were just stained (probably antibiotics from when she was a pup) and that she was a goner at the pound listed at 10. We had here about 5 and a half years before she died in my arms as I was taking her to the car to have her put down because she was so sick).

-
Back