LOL!! EV range not only reduced in cold, ALSO reduced in HEAT!!

-
Yes...If 100,000 EVs sold have 1000 fires, that is 1 in a hundred.
If 5 million gas/diesel cars sold have 1000 fires, that is 1 in 500,000.
I am BEYOND tired of people using the term ICE to describe gasoline cars. It always looks like someone trying to be trendy or thinking that they impress others. Screw all that. The overwhelming majority of them are GASOLINE powered, only a small percentage are diesel.
I agree. It is shorter to type just as EV is shorter to type than electric vehicle

ICE cars don't spontaneously ignite, EVs do. That's the issue I'd be most concerned about, but I'll never own one because they do nothing for me.
First let me say, I respect your decision to "never own" an EV. So i'm not trying to convince you to own one. I get that you may even consider an EV to be an Evil Villain (see what I did there) competing with our beloved ICE cars for spot as our primary mode of transportation. If given the choice between an Ice hellcat or an ev version of the same car my heart picks the ice version everytime.
So when I say I don’t 100 percent agree with the statement "ICE cars don't spontaneously ignite EVs do" It isn't because I'm trying to convince you to buy an EV car. I just want to cordially hear your thoughts on the subject and share mine.
I did some googling and if you can believe what has been written on the subject spontaneously ignited EV cars it seems that it is caused by a few things but basically the battery becomes over heated causing it to catch fire.
Some of the causes are poorly made batteries that short out and overheat, overcharging the batteries or charging at too fast a rate and mechanical damage to the batteries like from an accident or running something over.
In the instance of a defective battery shorting out and over heating and igniting the other batteries causing a chain reaction it would appear to be spontaneous combustion.
I also googled what causes cars (as in cars in general including ice cars) to catch fire. Fuel leaks, electrical shorts and mechanical demage (like from an accident) seemed to be the top 3 reasons. I think that if you parked your car and an electrical short occurs or flammable liquid leaked on to a hot part causing the car to catch fire it might appear from an observer to have spontaneously combusted. If your definition of spontaneous combustion means the fire is started from within the vehicle itself.
Don't take my word for this. Just google "recall for cars catching on fire and see what comes up
I know it seems like I'm an advocate for EV cars. I'm not. I can live with or without them. I am an advocate to keep the ability to drive my Ice cars. But If I can see the holes in the reasons given for why ev cars shouldn't exist so can the people who think ice cars shouldn't exist.
In my opion the battle to stop EV cars is over. The battle to keep driving my 69 baracuda is what I am focused on.

I pay pretty good attention to the local news, about once a month you hear about a vehicle fire, gas powered car/truck but most of the time it is with a collision with a large truck, where the occupants would be dead, no matter what they were driving.
I don't recall a EV vehicle fire in WV.
I am not considering ever buying a EV vehicle, and if I do it would have to make sounds like the Jettson's car.

Reality is we build and test LI batterys at work, you must be certified to even be in the area, and testing is done in a sealed metal container, with no humans around, just cameras.
There was one test, which got used on a training video, of the sealed metal container, lifting off the ground and shaking violently, when a test went wrong, the camera inside the container, showed just a slight flash, and a huge fireball.
The container was a modified 40' shipping container.

1705447052247.png

Several big city Electric bus companies filing for bankruptcy and therefore some broken down units parts can't be obtained ! Hilarious to say the least
Long live the COMBUSTION engines and DETROIT 2 STROKERS !!!!

Ya see, some people just can't be reached, so They sit there freezing Their balls off or watch along with the local VFD as the EV burns to the ground.....which is the way They want it, well,....that's the way They gonna get it...:rofl:

Car people can’t even have a discussion about EVs without it turning to crap. EV is the blow up doll of the car culture. If you love it please keep it to your self.

I personally think (*most, there are exceptions) EV owners are the Vegans of the car world. Can't eat their soybean and tofu fake meat burgers without telling someone else what they are eating is wrong.

Do what makes you happy, quietly :mad:

I personally think (*most, there are exceptions) EV owners are the Vegans of the car world. Can't eat their soybean and tofu fake meat burgers without telling someone else what they are eating is wrong.

Do what makes you happy, quietly :mad:
U said it right (Quietly) opinions are like assholes
Everyone has one and @ the end of they day who gives a **** what anyone has to say if it's ludicrous content !!!
My rights don't end where another's begins.

They are really limited in mileage when you can’t charge them due to a lack of power when all the other alternative energy is proved pathetic.

Not only that, EV are aren't reducing their driving cost as much as you might think. At least that's the case here in North Carolina. The local news reported that the state of NC was losing approximately 15 to 18 million dollars a year in gas tax revenue due to EV. So, they instituted an annual fee for EV owners. This fee is said to be the same as if they paid for a year's gas tax with the average vehicle. Whatever the state thinks that is.
I found joy in seeing all those Fools complaining about said tax also !!!

EVs have their place. Some people want them. The technology for EVs is NOT where it needs to be now for them to be considered a serious contender to replace ICE cars. When EVs are more affordable, the battery technology allows at least 400 miles before a charge, battery replacement is not $15-20K, etc., then we might be able to have a more serious discussion about them replacing ICE cars. That could be 20 years away. What I REALLY object to is the government interference in their mandates on only EV cars being sold LONG before they are financially and technologically a viable replacement. Let the free market decide!

ICE powered cars would be just as scewed as these ev's if the over the road truckers weren't able to deliver fuel.

Funny though, I haven't seen any ev's in post apocolypytic movies like Mad Max.

Wait, non of this is happening because the world is heating up due to the climate change (hoax) scenario.
Doesn't coal lead to more emissions?
And the gov has to force this onto people's mindsets to get them to use the technology?
This whole thing is wonky. Oh, wait, democrats. Of course. What was I thinking. It's ridiculous of course with no common sense.

How do you solve Lightning pickup range issue? Throw a gas powered generator and some 5 gallon gas cans in the bed then you can recharge the EV truck when ever you want. Heck rig it up so truck is being charged by gas generator while you drive win win save the planet.

Uhh, nope... They'll try to eat you alive as well, especially if you're a child. There's plenty of news articles out there that prove it.
People don't realize it's a large reptile that can get 12-14+ ft long & weigh almost 1200 lbs.
Both little kitty cats compared to our crocodiles here, get in with a salt water crock you aint getting back out

I play in the battery and energy arena, and have professional friends that do as well; including EV's. My friends & I see many of the pitfalls pointed out in this thread, and believe we have at least some answers.

Advocates of ICE platforms are building arguments around over a century and a quarter of well-funded R&D that ultimately made production; ICE development advanced rapidly. History states that a high percentage of "horseless carriages" were electric (Henry Ford's wife drove an electric car for several years). There was a point in time when gasoline became the favored energy source for transportation, and EVs went away. Since then, $Billions (my personal guess is that R&D investment number probably eclipses the $trillion number, all things considered, OEMs and aftermarket) have been invested into improving the ICE platform, while maybe $millions were invested in making the EV better.

Along comes Honda Insight & Toyota Prius hybrids in 2001. This at least opened the doors for the integration of batteries and electric motors into the transportation sector in this modern era. These were early attempts; the Insight is no longer available, and the current Prius remotely resembles the 2001 version. Since then, numerous Hybrids and dedicated EVs have been introduced.

The first Tesla Electric vehicles were -- just that -- early attempts. If you look at Tesla's electric motors used over the years, you will find that they changed the design for more efficient versions. Furthermore, if you look at the battery chemistry evolution, there have been 3 different types used. This means they realized their mistakes (which this tread has amply focused on) and made corrections.

Finally, if you consider the overall quality, durability and safety of a 1900 ICE and compare it to a 1920, 1940, 1960, 1980, 2000, or 2020 ICE, surely you can observe the cumulative benefits of R&D. Rest assured, EVs will advance and get refined over the years just as the ICE did, but at a much faster rate. The current generation EV/Hybrid isn't all that bad for use cases where it makes sense. As time goes on, it will get better (I'm professionally committed to see that is the case). Surely long-haul big rigs and EV doesn't add up. However, an LTL warehouse Jockey truck actually does.

Make your choice to never own an EV or Hybrid. Just know that every year they will get better because of engineers. Eventually (if you old farts live long enough to see it), EVs will make more sense than ICE.

Some ammo:

I play in the battery and energy arena, and have professional friends that do as well; including EV's. My friends & I see many of the pitfalls pointed out in this thread, and believe we have at least some answers.

Advocates of ICE platforms are building arguments around over a century and a quarter of well-funded R&D that ultimately made production; ICE development advanced rapidly. History states that a high percentage of "horseless carriages" were electric (Henry Ford's wife drove an electric car for several years). There was a point in time when gasoline became the favored energy source for transportation, and EVs went away. Since then, $Billions (my personal guess is that R&D investment number probably eclipses the $trillion number, all things considered, OEMs and aftermarket) have been invested into improving the ICE platform, while maybe $millions were invested in making the EV better.

Along comes Honda Insight & Toyota Prius hybrids in 2001. This at least opened the doors for the integration of batteries and electric motors into the transportation sector in this modern era. These were early attempts; the Insight is no longer available, and the current Prius remotely resembles the 2001 version. Since then, numerous Hybrids and dedicated EVs have been introduced.

The first Tesla Electric vehicles were -- just that -- early attempts. If you look at Tesla's electric motors used over the years, you will find that they changed the design for more efficient versions. Furthermore, if you look at the battery chemistry evolution, there have been 3 different types used. This means they realized their mistakes (which this tread has amply focused on) and made corrections.

Finally, if you consider the overall quality, durability and safety of a 1900 ICE and compare it to a 1920, 1940, 1960, 1980, 2000, or 2020 ICE, surely you can observe the cumulative benefits of R&D. Rest assured, EVs will advance and get refined over the years just as the ICE did, but at a much faster rate. The current generation EV/Hybrid isn't all that bad for use cases where it makes sense. As time goes on, it will get better (I'm professionally committed to see that is the case). Surely long-haul big rigs and EV doesn't add up. However, an LTL warehouse Jockey truck actually does.

Make your choice to never own an EV or Hybrid. Just know that every year they will get better because of engineers. Eventually (if you old farts live long enough to see it), EVs will make more sense than ICE.

Some ammo:
I agree with all of the above. The EV market will develop with R&D but forcing companies and consumers into the EV market is not progress

The thing that hurts the image of EVs (apart from spontaneous catching on fire and burning to the ground) is how they are being forced down the throats of consumers.
Maybe its not just the power plant either. They are plain, soulless and uninspiring, modern car design is a lost opportunity.

"Progress" can go jump, I'd prefer a model T, or a penny farthing personally.

After just having a breakfast with all of the proper nutrients, bacon AND beer! I thought I'd share why I drive a 2014 Nissan Leaf as a daily driver. I'm not a vegan, I don't believe that climate change is being caused by humanity (OK, maybe a tiny bit), but living in the Moronic People's Republic of California I get tired of paying for all of the exorbitant costs and fees that are shoved down our throats. A year ago I found a nine year old Nissan Leaf, ugly, but I'm getting used to it, with good battery health (10 out of 12 bars), maximum distance is 80 miles, 74 using the AC (100+ degrees in the summer), 72 miles using the heater in the winter. Got it from a reputable Honda Dealer in Colma, Ca. $6,880. It had 59,000 miles on the clock. PG&E (Pirates, Goons and Extortionists) sent me a check for $4,000.00. Purchase cost now $2,880.00. Senile Uncle Joe is giving me 30% of the original $6,880, which is $2,064.00. Purchase cost is now down to $816.00. California Department of Motor Victims charged me $80.00 extra for not paying Newsome's gas tax, I can live with that. We purchased a home solar power system about two years ago and no longer pay for electricity, I charge the EV for free. No smog check is required, neither are oil changes. The motor has two moving parts, no transmission, a differential (about 8:1) with three moving parts. We still use our 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk and our 2017 Hemi Ram 4x4 for long distance or towing (love them both), but I just wanted to interject that maybe, just maybe, there is a place for an EV at your house. Now for dessert......!

Many who defend EV and the technology respond to all the factual shortcomings with: "They will figure it out." Who are "They" For the past 5 years the best minds- not in the US but the best minds on THE PLANET have used billions maybe trillions of $$$ into solving all the problems with battery powered vehicles. What is the status of all that planet wide R&D? Well the vehicles do terrible in cold and hot, have low range, are expensive, are a thermal runaway danger to anything near them, exploit child and human labor to mine the materials, pillage the earth by mining said materials...........and on and on. Not good progress considering Battery powered vehicles existed before internal combustion vehicles. EVs may be ok for some niche categories but my god- just stop it with the idol worship and shoving it down everyone's throat.

-
Back