Look what I stumbled across yesterday...

-

YY1

Reaction score
Stopped at a car lot to check out a fiero convertible (I know), and saw this hiding in the corner-

It had rust in the usual A body rust places (cowl vent, under the top on the quarters, etc), and had had some work done before (some poorly). Had thick paint, and had scuffs, and dents. Engine was painted poorly, and interior was questionable. Water pooling in floorboard, where the fiero wasn't!

WAY too expensive at $7900 considering the condition...

But it IS a 1970 RHD Austrailian Valiant, 245 Hemi six, auto on column.

Attachments

• IMG_20130607_162109.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_20130607_161559.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,195
WAY too expensive at $7900 considering the condition...

But it IS a 1970 RHD Austrailian Valiant, 245 Hemi six, auto on column.

I may beg to differ with ya on that....well, I'd hafta see it but....that is over-the-top bad ***!

Leaking interior is a set of $40 wiper pivot bushings and/or a $100 window gasket.

That car is worth every penny asked. Went out of the way to get the right wires, even.

The pics make it look MUCH better than it is.

Literally every body panel has smething wrong with it.

Driver door and fender have bent each other from either REALLY bad hinges or an accident.

I stopped counting at seven places where I could very easily see wavy, poorly sanded body filler.

I doubt wiper seals or a gasket would fix the rusted out cowl and vent stack.

Engine had SEVERAL THICK cots of paint, obviously from a spray can, painted right over the peeling paint from the last time, and the rust.

Seats, although nice, looked generically recovered.

Interior metal looked to be painted with an odd texturied paint, which was scratched through in spots, revealing the gunmetal body color. (This could be factory, as it nearly matched the top)

Trunk was painted in a VERY THICK bed liner type material, making it very difficult to see any repairs.

Also, about 25% of the trim, incuding some of the the emblems, were held on with rivets, right through the pot metal!

If it had not looked so much like it had been through three generations of amature body work, with additional faults and damage on top of it, I'd have gotten out my filler detector magnet and gone over the quarters, but when I saw the 80 grit marks on top of the quarter, by the top trim, I decided there was no way I could be serious at that price.

The green car is either a mid 70's T bird or lincoln mark with a faux-bro top.

Believe it or not, I can get a better Aussie A body for about 3K LESS.

For those that don't know, the doors, quarters and deck on this car look identical to a US 1969 Dart.

Inside the trunk, however, those Aussies flattened out the gas filler and bent it down even with the floor, so it doesn't interfere with the cargo! (shoulda got a pic of that)

For the same ammount of body work to redo this car, I could pick up that 68 340 4 speed fastback I went to look at week before last.

If this car's not worth 8K-...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rt-/...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

IMO that thing is priced about right .....a lot cheaper than buying one and having it shipped up here .....plus its all complete and Australian specific parts look solid ......nice grille and front end pieces ....... that engine is hens teeth in the US...so if it rus good,mega plus ......if i had the cash i would do it.

i was going to have a pacer front end shipped from my friend in Melbourne and convert my 69 dart into the Aussie look (the back half of the Aussie cars is basically a 69 dart) ....but shipping cost more than i make in a two months (im a maid lol) so that kinda shot that down.

im not a huge fan of RH drive but that car belongs at shows in the US.

It's a like it or hate it type of car. I like it. It's different and rare around here.

That's the 245, not the 265 six...

That lot is famous for thick bondo and high prices.

They might come down 500 bucks, but I'd only go 5K on that car, and I doubt I'd even do that.

If anyone thinks it's worth 9, I'd be happy to pick it up and flip it to you....

WAY too expensive at $7900 considering the condition...?

Where or when do you think you will ever find another one?

the OP says he can get one way cheaper..... and that's my point exactly show me where all of these are laying around

This is actually the 4th Aussie car I've been in a position to buy.

You guy's must not be lookin hard enough.....

Believe me they are just not around this area. Mopars have been scarce around here for a while. Too many went to the rust areas and crusher when they were plentiful.

Ummm I am in Detroit we BUILT the automobile so ya, I have never seen one in my life....

If you REALLY want one...you will find one.

I've had the opportunity to buy:

65 Ute

68 Ute

74 Falcon

69 Wayfarer (wagon)

(oops that makes the 70 the FIFTH one!)

What I REALLY want is a 73 Brazilian Charger R/T (68/69 Dart with buttress panels and totally cool grille).

that isworth every penny.... fix the rust and take that baby to a mopar show and start winning trophies.

So...I'll take a 15% finder's fee, if anyone is interested...

So it looks like the other 34 bidders agreed with me that it wasn't worth 8K.

I was in up to around 5K.

This lot is famous for re-listing cars after they have "sold" on ebay, some even a few times. Once the high bidder sees all the bondo and pop rivets, let alone the leaky cowl, they may back out.

I'll drive over in a few weeks and see if it's still there.
If it is, I might offer them the 5K cash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&forcev4exp=true

-
Back