Looking for a cam for 360

-

rusty

Reaction score
I know this isn't an A-Body but I am nglooking for a good cam for my Dodge chassis Rv. It is a 75 360 stock compression,performer intake and carb,planning on dual exh and the heads are 596's getting a bowl blend and gasket match.I have a summit 6900 new in the box,summit's site says this cam works well in stock motors but it is stamped E937P on the end.That appears to be an elgin number and their site says needs high comp.Any suggestions? Thanks,Todd

Comp Cams recommends their 255DEH for RV and towing in their line of flat tappet cams. Using their on line cam selector, I got flat tappet grinds between 252 and 265. Even their tamest roller cam, XR268HR-10, isn't specifically recommended for low-end torque.

That cam would be fine for an RV. In fact it will pretty much run like the stock cam in a 360.

So any suggestions on a good torque cam that will work with stock compression,probably 8.5

I've used some Crane Cams that have made nice torque....

We rebuilt our Warlock II 360 with 9.0 compression, crane Z-268-2 268/276 duration cam, Rhoades lifters, wiand dual plane intake, hedman headers, double roller timing chain, carter afb, with 2 1/4" dual exhaust with sonic turbo mufflers coming out at 45° under the steps. File fit the rings to min gaps for less blow by...

That cam made more power and got 2 1/2 MPG better economy pulling a car on a trailer than the stock config...

Ran like a raped ape. I used to put it in 4 lo and race the fox body mustang GT's off the lights and be on the back of the fender at 45 MPH... They were pissed that a 4x4 gave them that hard of a run...

Our non-Mopar friends used to respect our truck also.

After we sold it, the guy who bought it came back to tell us a story about it. He went off roading with a couple of Chevy buddies of his that used to give him a hard time for driving a Dodge....

One of the Chevies got stuck in the mud and our old Warlock pulled it out no problem... They stopped giving him **** for driving a Dodge after that...

Crane Z-268-2

[ame]http://www.cranecams.com/154-157.pdf[/ame]

If you have the cam, run it. spend the money on a good valve job and milling the heads possibly a thinner head gasket. That cam works well with what little compression a stock 360 has. if you want something that will make more power this cam will run similar but make more power everwhere over the summit cam. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl711381-10

If you have the cam, run it. spend the money on a good valve job and milling the heads possibly a thinner head gasket. That cam works well with what little compression a stock 360 has. if you want something that will make more power this cam will run similar but make more power everwhere over the summit cam. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl711381-10

That cam looks like it would pull hard.

204* at .050 needs high compression? Not a chance!

That's a stockish style camshaft if I'm not mistaken.

Go take a look at my thread a couple spots below yours called first minor build pics. I have a cam card pic for a cam in my 360 I fired today and its great!

Say, just how heavy do you think this RV chassis might get to be?

No, I wouldnt use that 6900. You see the advertised is 278*intake and its 204*@050. What that indicates is that it is super slow on the sub.050 ramps, requiring (278-204)/2 = 37degrees to get there. The 204 part is pretty good, but that late closing intake will really pull the Dcr down, and tend to kill low-rpm torque.Notice on the cam card they dont provide the valve timing events for the advertised durations? Well, I just worked it out. Using their specs, and assuming symetrically ground lobes. the intake closing event comes out to 70.5*ABDC. And the overlap works out to 59*. That makes for a big cam sounding idle and not much else, unless you start with some really good compression.No I wouldnt use that for an RV application.
Ima thinking the intake closing point should be in the neighborhood of 50 to 55 degrees. This could still be a 204@050, but maybe 245 advertised. Thats a fast-rate of (245 - 204)/2 = 20.5degrees to get up the ramp. This cam wont make a lot of power. It will make a lot of torque with a minimum amount of compression.If you start with 8.5 Static cr,and 55*ABDC, this will only drop your Dynamic cr down to about 7.3.Whereas the 6900 will drop the Dcr down to 6.5. You see what I mean. Thats a .8 difference right where you need it, getting off the line.
If you had a 9.5 Static the numbers would be 8.1Dcr for the 55*closing, and 7.2Dcr for the 70.5*.

Say, just how heavy do you think this RV chassis might get to be?

No, I wouldnt use that 6900. You see the advertised is 278*intake and its 204*@050. What that indicates is that it is super slow on the sub.050 ramps, requiring (278-204)/2 = 37degrees to get there. The 204 part is pretty good, but that late closing intake will really pull the Dcr down, and tend to kill low-rpm torque.Notice on the cam card they dont provide the valve timing events for the advertised durations? Well, I just worked it out. Using their specs, and assuming symetrically ground lobes. the intake closing event comes out to 70.5*ABDC. And the overlap works out to 59*. That makes for a big cam sounding idle and not much else, unless you start with some really good compression.No I wouldnt use that for an RV application.
Ima thinking the intake closing point should be in the neighborhood of 50 to 55 degrees. This could still be a 204@050, but maybe 245 advertised. Thats a fast-rate of (245 - 204)/2 = 20.5degrees to get up the ramp. This cam wont make a lot of power. It will make a lot of torque with a minimum amount of compression.If you start with 8.5 Static cr,and 55*ABDC, this will only drop your Dynamic cr down to about 7.3.Whereas the 6900 will drop the Dcr down to 6.5. You see what I mean. Thats a .8 difference right where you need it, getting off the line.
If you had a 9.5 Static the numbers would be 8.1Dcr for the 55*closing, and 7.2Dcr for the 70.5*.

Yep!

I forgot to mention. A really good target Dcr is between 8 and 9. Iron heads with heavy loading, should run on the low side to run 87 to 91 octane gas. Aluminum headed lightly loaded cars can run closer to 9Dcr, perhaps even on midgrade 91 gas.
I run 87E10 at 8.6Dcr in my 366/Eddie headed,3600 lb(me included),68 FormulaS clone, at about 750ft altitude,with no issues. Ive run it, at up to 9.2Dcr,(corrected to 9.0@ 750ft) on 91E10, and running 87 on low load settings(cruising).

So with a 50* event and a true 8.5Static, you would be at 7.5Dcr.A little on the low side,to be sure but do-able.If your true Static is closer to 8, then a 40*event, might be better. This is now a different cam.

The trick is the cam. Reference post#17

-
Back