Looking for cam shaft advice

-

72hemidart

Reaction score
I am in the prosess of building a 426 hemi for a street/strip car,this is what I have so far:
Stock crank 3.75 stroke
Stock bore 4.25 W/10.5 to 1 compression
Going to go with Indy Legend heads and complete valve train,rockers,etc.
Now comes my issue I was going to run a hydraulic roller cam and lifters but if i take that route my biggest lift will be a .574/.551 with a 110 LSA
but I can go higher if I run a solid lifter cam.
The heads will handle up to a 650 lift cam but I need the car to be somewhat streetable.

Any Ideas?

Go solid and use roller rockers. Might as well get the most bang for the buck with that hemi

Are those heads aluminum or iron? If they are aluminum, you're pussyfootin around with chinsey 10.5 compression.....in fact, with proper camshaft selection, you could go past 11 with iron heads. The Hemi's combustion chamber is very efficient, plus, it is machined and smooth which allows much higher compression ratios even with iron heads with no detonation. If I had the resources to build a that style Hemi, it would have an all out solid roller and be a pavement peelin ****.

You can probably go over 12:1 on pump gas.

Put a solid in it and start destroyin people's dreams, thinking their cars are fast.

That is what I am leaning towards I would like to utlize the most I can out of the Indy heads.

That is what I am leaning towards I would like to utlize the most I can out of the Indy heads.

Well you will not be doing that if you build an aluminum headed Hemi with only 10.5 compression.

Check out the solid roller,you will get the best bang for the buck.Check Comp,Crower,Isky.Check Ray Barton,Bullitt Cams,Harold Brookshire.That'll keep you busy for a while.(Emphasise Bullitt,and Harold)

I am in the prosess of building a 426 hemi for a street/strip car,this is what I have so far:
Stock crank 3.75 stroke
Stock bore 4.25 W/10.5 to 1 compression
Going to go with Indy Legend heads and complete valve train,rockers,etc.
Now comes my issue I was going to run a hydraulic roller cam and lifters but if i take that route my biggest lift will be a .574/.551 with a 110 LSA
but I can go higher if I run a solid lifter cam.
The heads will handle up to a 650 lift cam but I need the car to be somewhat streetable.

Any Ideas?

solid roller, 236@ .050, .640 lift gross on a 111lca straight up. It will make a VERY broad power curve and still idle good and should make at least 575HP.
Brian

-
Back