Looking for recommendations for Cuba Resort

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Lori n I are skipping Christmas this year and going away.
Looking for a do nothing but swim/drink/fish(fish for me).
Were looking at Cuba(I've been there once) as it wasn't highly priced, and we are planning on a "Black Friday" purchase/deal.
I went to Varadero and it was fine. I checked reviews online and where I stayed isn't what it was.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Steve(and Lori)

Since US residents can’t legally travel to Cuba recommendations might be far and few between.

Do you plan to swim like a fish or drink like a fish ? Lol

A "little" of both Mike. I dont drink very much at all. The fishing will be a one off as i would imagine its very pricey.
I thought the "embargo" was lifted a few years back? Funny they LOVE your $$
Unfortunately the US BOSS doesn't like me anymore....
Since US residents can’t legally travel to Cuba recommendations might be far and few between.

Do you plan to swim like a fish or drink like a fish ? Lol

Or just fish ?

Well you could visit Cuba and then you couldn't visit Cuba. However it's really easy to visit there. You just have to fly to Mexico and get a flight out of there to Cuba.

When you get to Cuba they stamp a piece of paper and put it in your Passport, and when you leave they take that piece of paper back.

My personal favorite place to visit is Aruba.

Tom

Yes when I went in 2008 direct flights only from Canada. No stops in USA.
I would love to hit Aruba, but wayyy outta the budget lol.
Well you could visit Cuba and then you couldn't visit Cuba. However it's really easy to visit there. You just have to fly to Mexico and get a flight out of there to Cuba.

When you get to Cuba they stamp a piece of paper and put it in your Passport, and when you leave they take that piece of paper back.

Tom

I like Trinidad. Music scene was really hopping.

There was a paladar in Havana I’ll try to dig up the name.

But, it’s been 15+ years since

I think it was La Guardia. I remember the staircase. Looks a lot nicer in the current pictures than i recall. Big fella in the street making sure you had reservations and then another check at the door like you were meeting the mob boss for a card game.

Lots of 4 door 50s cars with bondo and Russian diesel truck motors IIRC.

Have fun!

Oh, another hack was to find a local to take you around, but have them buy the stuff like food and drink for half and they still make money. National currency vs the convertible.

Last edited:
With respect, I won't travel to a country that treats their citizens like dirt. Human rights? Not there.

Find an up-and-coming island country, if it's the island life you're looking for. We went to Turks and Caicos in 2012. They were the cheapest we could find at the time.

Steve , I've never been to Cuba. But been to many Carribean Islands. Old San Jaun is very Cool. No beach though. Unless you go out of town. The Dominican Republic use to be dirt cheap ,not sure about now.
Of course Mexico is one of the cheapest. And Jamaica.

Speaking of Islands my favorite was St Kitts. Met Roger Daltry there at a beach bar !

Not getting political, but how's leaders of yours and my country treat us? Canada's "leader" is a fuckin goof and needs his throat slit.
NOT going to Mexico.
I was hoping to keep the trip in the $3k range for both.
David I did the Havana walk with a local and paid him for his time. Had a Mojito where Hemingway spent his time. Had a great time. Good idea with the guide buying the drinks/food.
Thanks all, I'll chk some of those places out.

Last edited:
Nope, serious. I can't get in without a US entry waiver, a year or so of paperwork and thousands of dollars....and the waiver is temporary. I've had 2 of them, last one was for 5 years.
Shitty cuz there's nowhere warm here beyond Sept thru to May.
:rofl::rofl:….kidding right?

With respect, I won't travel to a country that treats their citizens like dirt. Human rights? Not there.

Find an up-and-coming island country, if it's the island life you're looking for. We went to Turks and Caicos in 2012. They were the cheapest we could find at the time.
I think it’s rediculous for US to hold that grudge for 60years .
Apparently the tactic hasn’t worked. We might be better off letting them develop with our tourist money and get a taste of the good life . That being said I really don’t know much about the situation under Raul vs Fidel . So sad… it was such a vibrant country in the 50s.

Hey Steve,

I just booked Sanctuary at Grand Memories Varadero, going in November. It's an Adults only section of the larger Grand Memories resort.
Your have your own pool, sit down restaurant, beach area, beach bar. But can use the rest of the resort too.
Gets good reviews and price is right. I've booked numerous trips through trip central and had good experience's.

https://www.tripcentral.ca/vacation...0,0,0,1,1,,0&numberOfAdults=2&numberOfRooms=1

Check out this video. He is staying in the larger suite, I booked the junior suite, a little smaller but less $$.

Steve, sorry that I can offer no suggestions....but hope y'all have a great trip. Try to take some pics of their old cars that they have rebuilt 10 times since the 50's. They are some seriously hard-core car guys with the mods they make, just to have a car to drive instead of walking.

Tom
Very interesting! My first thought was that you were wrong, but I looked it up, and you are right. Now bringing home some fine Cuban cigars is another matter.

-
Back