Looking for recommendations for Cuba Resort

-
Some friends complained about shortages of liquor and food in Cuba. I have no desire to go there or Mexico for that matter. We love Kawai but it’s awfully expensive these days.

I went to Cuba right when Castro got sick. I went to see the architecture and a place that time had not touched for (50?) years. A look into a system that in my opinion doesn’t work but a veiw of a people that are as tough as nails.

I saw the remaining members of Buena Vista Social Club.

I saw renditions of the Salsa of the young and old.

I saw the nervous look of patrons at a bar when a bartender spoke his true feelings about the gov’t to us while have rum.

I rode a donkey to a farm and drank rum from a coconut while puffing a a honey dipped cigar.

If you want to wander around a resort thinking about the next dip in the pool, maybe Cuba isn’t the place to go.

Seeing a cot and a lightbulb on marble floors inside 13’ wooden doors with laundry hanging and a well used bicycle (unlocked) leaning up outside, that’s the stuff I went to see and experience.

You want chicken cordon bleu? You get ham on a bun.

It’s been awhile, but i would be very interested in your experience Steve. It felt very safe in my opinion. Maybe the natives are restless and more amped up? Please report when you are back.

Zero issues when I went in 08. The resort Bella Costa in Varadero was "out of the way" but on beach with a couple pools. Havana was approx 1 1/2-2 hours away.
There was a small market/town approx a 5-10 minute scooter ride away. I checked out also. For me I'm "nervous" any time I've been outside of Canuckistan. Mind my p's and q's.
Is Cube safe ? What the crime like now ? I ask in all sincerity.

-
Back