UPDATE - Looks so good but ya can't shut the hood

-

Michael Siple

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever massage the base on one of these nice original cleaners. The other is a Mancini repop made to fit - not as nice but you can shut the hood

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

the 70 style doesn't fit under the hood? what carb and intake are you running that it doesn't fit??

no i would not modify that 70 air cleaner. they bring way too much money these days to hack up.

mine fits with a performer rpm (non air gap) and a holley.

IMG_20240909_202500.jpg

his top one looks like a 70 340 air cleamer and bottom looks like the 69 style 340 air cleaner.
Now that I am off my phone and on my laptop I can see the difference. THe last one he posted is a unsilenced air cleaner. You can mess with the height on those by trying different base plates. Like you said, the top photos are a 70/71

It looks like the unsilenced cleaners fit but the 70-71 doesn't (with a spacer) One thing about the unsilenced version,you can buy a dropped base. THe lid doesn't care what base is under the filter. With the 70-71 unit, the lid and base need to be used together. Just what I see here.

Yup its usually a spacer or the intake is too high issue. Fun snippet of info the Edelbrock Torker while it is not popular for some was a low rise single plane that was designed to fit under a street car hood...:)
The old LD4B's and LD340's as well.

this is a Duster with edelbrock rpm intake with their 800 avs2 & 1/2" heat sink. Don't think I want to mess with the original & live with the one that fits. Don't want to lose the spacer. Now I have a nice air cleaner on the shelf to look at. Thanks folks -Mike

If it were for my own car, I wouldn't care.
Agreed, I do what I need to or want to on my cars. Hack it up to make it work if you need to.
I did on my air cleaner base on my Roached Runner to clear the taller Edelbrock intake and 2 stage nitrous plate.

20220817_201624.jpg

20220817_201630.jpg

Yea, leave the Aftermarket Air cleaner on, and when you go to shows put the original back on when the hood is open. Just don't forget and close it.

-
Back