Losing Fuel

-
After the car is parked for several days I have a hard time getting it to start - like no fuel.
After I crank it for a while and pump the snot out of it it will fire and run normal. Somehow it is losing fuel.
I am running an LA340 with Edelbrock 1408 carb with electric choke which is working and a Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump.
All appears normal and it only does it after it sits for several days.
No hot start issues
No run issues
No gas in the oil
No fuel on the ground
No leaks that I can find anywhere in the fuel system
I dont believe it is boiling out of the carb I use a thermal spacer between the car and manifold to prevent this.
Is there any way it can siphon back to the tank?
Im lost
Normal. It seems worse with Edelbrock carbs. Probably because the float bowls are part of the base and the puppy pee gas now days evaporates easily. A small electric pump with a momentary switch seems to work well. I thought I had bookmarked a post with a electric pump number. Can't find it. Oops, mderoy has the number in the post above.

Normal. It seems worse with Edelbrock carbs. Probably because the float bowls are part of the base and the puppy pee gas now days evaporates easily. A small electric pump with a momentary switch seems to work well. I thought I had bookmarked a post with a electric pump number. Can't find it. Oops, mderoy has the number in the post above.
Kinda makes sense if the bowl is part of the base.... it'll get more heat all the time, running or stopped, than the Holley bowls which hang out in the air.

Kinda makes sense if the bowl is part of the base.... it'll get more heat all the time, running or stopped, than the Holley bowls which hang out in the air.
I thought about that too.
So I added a thick thermal spacer between the carb and manifold - made no difference at all.
BTW the heat runner in my intake has been block off since I built this engine 3 years ago

You can run this electric pump to prime or leave it run all the time with a mechanical pump. Mechanical pump will pull fuel thru the electric. I ran this pump with a Carter M6720 mechanical pump and dead head regulator. Mount it on a rubber strap and the noise will be less. Electric pump was mounted above the passenger side shock and forward fuel tank area.
Airtex External Electric Fuel Pumps E8012S

Can you post a pic of how you mounted it? I wonder if there is a way to put a timer on it so it only runs for 30-60 seconds upon turning the key?

I thought about that too.
So I added a thick thermal spacer between the carb and manifold - made no difference at all.
BTW the heat runner in my intake has been block off since I built this engine 3 years ago
A carb spacer will help with fuel percolation and vapor lock when the engine is running. So does a fuel return system. A hot soak condition happens regardless of your spacer. When you shut the engine off, the engine heat can vaporize the gas pretty quickly depending how hot the engine is and how fast it cools off.

Can you post a pic of how you mounted it? I wonder if there is a way to put a timer on it so it only runs for 30-60 seconds upon turning the key?
You don't need a timer but you could install a timed relay. Here is a pic of another members car, I installed my pump were the red prefilter is. I recently went to a Summit black pump and return line system so I am unable to show pics of the inline pump I has in my car.

IMG_1454.JPG

Sweet
What electric pump are you running?
Did you apply a separate regulator?
SAME AS Trailbeast , so far it has worked well used to run a stronger pump , but that needed a regulator , plus the holley is an easy fit on the A body

How do i start a new thread? My duster has air in the fuel line and i want to have a thread to help me with that.

How do i start a new thread? My duster has air in the fuel line and i want to have a thread to help me with that.
Go back to the Forum page and pick your topic, like Engines, look in the upper right of the page where it states "post new thread'" and have at it.
Good luck

-
Back