Losing interest in the hobby

-

dodgefreak73

Reaction score
I'm doing a lot of thinking lately and am seriously considering getting out of the hobby completely. I have my Dart up for sale with the intent to move onto another project car that I have, but it's looking like I may end up letting both cars go. I was really looking forward to building the other car but have had to put it on hold as nobody is showing any interest in the Dart. If I can't sell the Dart I can't keep them both so the other car will have to go, which kinda sucks because that's the one I wanted. I've had no desire to drive the Dart at all & just got my licence renewal in the mail today & am considering not renewing this year. I've always been a hardcore car guy but the past couple years I've been losing interest more & more all the time, & I'm to the point right now that I wanting little if anything to do with cars. I hate to see my 73 Dart (which is virtually rust free) sit and turn into a rust bucket but it's looking like this may happen. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything like that I just need to get this off my chest & find some reason to stay in the hobby.:banghead:

we all go through that from time to time. Just give it some time and you will feel the passion again

I've had no desire to drive the Dart at all & just got my licence renewal in the mail today & am considering not renewing this year. I've always been a hardcore car guy but the past couple years I've been losing interest more & more all the time, & I'm to the point right now that I wanting little if anything to do with cars.

You DO mean "license renewal" as in, the Dart's registration sticker, right? Not your actual driver's license, right?

Have had the same problem many times in the last 30 years.
Told myself never again more times than I can count, but you never get it out it,s in the blood every time I hear a mopar roar to life it brings it all back.
Been on the last project for nine months now almost complete told myself this is the last one.
Wife keeps throwing the b/s flag when I say it.
Besides we all get tired of the hobby from time to time but like I said it's in the blood .

I'm 24 and I had a stint of time where I lost interest in building my Swinger. Took two months or so off working on it and I either went for a ride in a muscle car or went to a car show and heard them all running, and that's all it took. Got me back into it real quick.

Sometimes you just need a break. Sometimes it is time to move on, but that's for you to decide.

Personally, nothing helps me smile more than a nice burnout and rowing through the gears in my Swinger. It's my drug, and I don't see giving it up anytime soon.

Best of luck

-Mike

I know the feeling. Perhaps it is time for your Dart to get a car cover thrown over it and go about the rest of your life for a short while?

I'm doing a lot of thinking lately and am seriously considering getting out of the hobby completely. I have my Dart up for sale with the intent to move onto another project car that I have, but it's looking like I may end up letting both cars go. I was really looking forward to building the other car but have had to put it on hold as nobody is showing any interest in the Dart. If I can't sell the Dart I can't keep them both so the other car will have to go, which kinda sucks because that's the one I wanted. I've had no desire to drive the Dart at all & just got my licence renewal in the mail today & am considering not renewing this year. I've always been a hardcore car guy but the past couple years I've been losing interest more & more all the time, & I'm to the point right now that I wanting little if anything to do with cars. I hate to see my 73 Dart (which is virtually rust free) sit and turn into a rust bucket but it's looking like this may happen. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything like that I just need to get this off my chest & find some reason to stay in the hobby.:banghead:

Well, lets see. Old Mopar. Rare. Fun driving. Ford and gm killer. Take a break.

DodgeFreak73, you are not alone. Others have had the same thing happen to them. I am in the same boat. I haven't touched either of my cars since December 2012 when I brought my 2007 Charger R/T home. I have a 340 motor and 727 trans bolted together and ready to be dropped into the Duster. They have been sitting there for a year now. My C-body needs a front end rebuild. I have let the comfort and power of the Charger distract me from getting the old iron back on the road. I have set a deadline for me to either get back to working on my project cars or to sell them by the end of the Fall this year and buy a new generation Challenger.

i was there about 18 months ago . totally frustrated with older resto that needed redo (trans slip no power 318) and my lil red express needing a rebuild as well . but man its been 18 months and im to the point of going to my buddies house to beg to drive his GTX for shake down runs I MISS THE DRIVE. its goes in cycles for me never know how youll feel on the next sunny day

I have never wanted to get out of the hobby I am 43 and been into Mopars sice I was 14.But the cost of cars,parts,gas,and the economy makes it harder and harder.I do not smoke,drink,do drugs,gamble,or chase women,so I have to do something.I used to have 2-3 Mopar toys all the time but now I can really only afford one even though I have 2.I just had to sell my 71 Road Runner 383 4 speed and bought a 71 Duster slant 6 3 speed.Talk about sucks...LOL

Lost interest in working on cars- maybe.

Lost interest in driving a nice, classic car- NEVER!

I think most of us have been their,especially if you have been at it for a while. Take a little break from it go to a show or two maybe a swap meet, catch an old movie, that always seems to get my juices flowing again.

Ron: I've gone through that many a times myself. It is time to get a
cover for the car and walk away for a spell. Don't sell the cars.
40 year old cars don't go on trees. Just take a break.

Wilson :)

I think everyone sooner or later has the same feelings. If you are not excited about your cars then your not excited, no reason to explain or apologize. I've had some cool interests that I did for a year or two and then went onto something else ( for example I had a NACRA catamaran and at different times sea-doos & Kawasaki jet skis.)

My advice is to take a break and don't do anything too drastic too quickly - like sell all your cars.

Here's how it works. I'm 62 and body shat.. Buddy calls. a 46 or a 69- hey, lets restore it. I have the beer. Then a year project. At least it kept me off the streets.

Let others cars inspire you to get back out there. Take a break and find some new inspiration. Never give up! If we all did, we would have nothing to restore.

There's several things that have me feeling this way. One of the biggest things is the fact that I do have (& always have) a cover on the Dart but it still sits outside. I do not have a garage to keep them in & because of where I live I have to park the 2 cars at my parents which is a 35 minute drive to go get the car for a drive. I can work on them in my Fathers garage but can not store them inside there as he run a business out of it. I have also run into several people in the past couple years that attend shows & cruise nights that really should not be in the hobby because all they can do is pick everybody else s cars apart. I had big plans for the dart but could never make them happen & thought when the Volare came along that I'd finally have a 2 door car to enjoy but can't get into the mood. I do appreciate the support from all the fine FABO members! I do think I'm going to take a break from the cars but despite that at least one of the cars has to go. The plan was to get the Volare ready & sell the dart but I've been trying to sell the dart and nobody has shown any interest in it at all. I originally had a guy that was bugging me to sell him the dart but when I finally decided to sell he just says he'll keep it in mind wtf. I bought the volare figuring that he was serious about the dart (I even told him about finding the volare & that the dart would be for sale & he still was saying he wanted it) both cars are in great condition but as much as I'd rather keep the volare it's the 1 I'd take the smallest loss on for a quick sell. I don't want to sell them both but if they end sitting for an extended period of time they will be sitting outside which won't do much to help preserve them.

-
Back