Lost my cam

-

dr.demon

dr.demon
Reaction score
Forgot to put in the zinc additive on my last oil change. Motor has 3000 miles on it and started backfiring when I accelerated. a friend told me I could pull off my valve covers and check my rocker assembly, sure enough one isn't moving very much. So I'm replacing the cam with a hydraulic roller cam. Amy suggestions. I was running a stock cam profile, now I'd like to go a step up but not to radical. My car is a 72 Demon with a 340 rebuilt to stock specs. Thanks in advance.

And all that metal went ?
Though the oil pump and bearings, that's where.

That sucks, and I know because I just went through the same thing awhile back with another car.

Wow.... does not seem to take much. For the zillions of miles put on standard flat tappet cams, it shows that someone knew what they were doing in past oil formulations. And perhaps lower quality standards these days in the cams and lifters.

May I ask:
- What do you use the car/engine for? (for cam ideas)
- What oil you were using?
- What brand of cam did you have?
- Any info on the springs that are in there now?

I assume you know that it's not a loose rocker? A dead lifter? Or a bent or broken pushrod?

It all has to go through the pump before it ever gets to the filter.

Good point on the other parts, JPar.

That's an assumption that the engine is ruined. I had a Mopar 484 cam in a 440 wipe out on me on the way to Carlisle. Had to drive it 2 1/2 hours back home like that. I changed cams, changed oil and filter. Changed fluids again, and it's been fine. That was around 2000. Still runs great. Still wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and check everything.

That's an assumption that the engine is ruined. I had a Mopar 484 cam in a 440 wipe out on me on the way to Carlisle. Had to drive it 2 1/2 hours back home like that. I changed cams, changed oil and filter. Changed fluids again, and it's been fine. That was around 2000. Still runs great. Still wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and check everything.

Same thing happened to me in a 318. Bent a pushrod and took out the cam. Replaced the cam, lifters and push rods. New oil and filter and it ran for another 12 years no problems. I just yanked that sucker out a few years back for the 340. :)

Didn't say it was ruined did I?
I said it sent metal through the oil pump and bearings, and to some degree it did.

No really, I heard metal powder in the oil is good for them.

Do whatever you want obviously.

I'd doubt that only an oil change on a stock cam would cause that. Stock cams and stock springs tend to be mild, and not have the same issues as the performance cams have in that regard. If it was caught quickly I'd at least look in the pan when you go to replace the camshaft. If it's full of glitter - it should be dropped and cleaned too. If you lost more than one - I'd plan to pull it out.

I'd doubt that only an oil change on a stock cam would cause that. Stock cams and stock springs tend to be mild, and not have the same issues as the performance cams have in that regard. If it was caught quickly I'd at least look in the pan when you go to replace the camshaft. If it's full of glitter - it should be dropped and cleaned too. If you lost more than one - I'd plan to pull it out.
I had an early 70's Stingray for many years and I had never heard of zinc oils....
I ran regular off the shelf Pensoil 10-30 (low to zero zinc) through it for 15 years....no problems at all...

Jeff

I had an early 70's Stingray for many years and I had never heard of zinc oils....
I ran regular off the shelf Pensoil 10-30 (low to zero zinc) through it for 15 years....no problems at all...

Jeff
Was that before or after the 2006-2008 timeframe? That is roughly when the zinc additive content was lowered in most common weight oils. Your Pennzoil would not ever have had 'zero' zinc and phosphorous additives. Even now, ALL of the oils have some zinc and phophorous; there is just not as much as before in the lighter weights.

I'd doubt that only an oil change on a stock cam would cause that. Stock cams and stock springs tend to be mild, and not have the same issues as the performance cams have in that regard.
My initial thoughts were similar..... but then the OP said 'stock cam profile', not necessarily stock springs, etc. So the info is a bit murky.

Was that before or after the 2006-2008 timeframe? That is roughly when the zinc additive content was lowered in most common weight oils. Your Pennzoil would not ever have had 'zero' zinc and phosphorous additives. Even now, ALL of the oils have some zinc and phophorous; there is just not as much as before in the lighter weights.
Before, during and after....
I bought the car in 2001 and sold it last year when I bought the 'Cuda.

Jeff

Forgot to put in the zinc additive on my last oil change. Motor has 3000 miles on it and started backfiring when I accelerated. a friend told me I could pull off my valve covers and check my rocker assembly, sure enough one isn't moving very much. So I'm replacing the cam with a hydraulic roller cam. Amy suggestions. I was running a stock cam profile, now I'd like to go a step up but not to radical. My car is a 72 Demon with a 340 rebuilt to stock specs. Thanks in advance.

Well, since nobody has attempted to answer your cam question, I would say that it would be helpful to know your gear ratio, cylinder cranking compression, exhaust, intake and trans type first. Also state if you want a mild, or noticeable idle and good bottom end or a high revver.

As far as lifters go, I mainly use MOREL.

The metal in your oil can get splashed everywhere, therefore, it is safest to take the engine entirely apart and clean the bejesus out of it . Doing anything less is a risk to some degree.

If you don't do that, I would at least clean and inspect the pump and spray carb cleaner inside the entire bottom of the engine to try and clean any metal off that might be stuck to it.

I would also install a magnetic drain plug to try and catch any metal in the oil.

You will need springs that are stiffer than stock with virtually any roller cam you put in so you will then probably need chromoly push rods also.

I have been running a dead stock 73 teener long-block with wallmart oil since forever. Oh wait, it's got 360 springs and I shimmed them a bit so the darn thing would rev a bit.It has never even heard of ZDDP additive

I have been running a dead stock 73 teener long-block with wallmart oil since forever. Oh wait, it's got 360 springs and I shimmed them a bit so the darn thing would rev a bit.It has never even heard of ZDDP additive

It is most likely that your Walmart oil does in fact contain ZDDP just like all Mobil 1 oil does and most other oils do.

You missed the point.
The OP missed adding the additive one time, and lost a cam.
I never add the additive, and didn't lose a cam.
The point is that there may be more to his story, than just a perceived lack of ZDDP.

You missed the point.
The OP missed adding the additive one time, and lost a cam.
I never add the additive, and didn't lose a cam.
The point is that there may be more to his story, than just a perceived lack of ZDDP.

I did not miss the point . Your post was not clear . ZDDP is an additive that comes in most oils as well as being an additive that can be purchased to add to oil.

But it did go through the oil filter first correct? I'm sorry I can't keep up with these posts I go to work in the morning and check things out before I go to work and then all hell breaks loose while I'm at work and I can just get a chance to get back to it.
Some sure, but a lot of it went through the lower end and cam bearings and it destroyed the oil pump.

-
Back