Low oil pressure 15 lbs when idling 318

-

Dave Dume

Daves Dart
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
My 74 Dart 318 runs well with Edelbrock heads, intake, Purple stripe cam.
The oil pressure drops to 15lbs after warm up idle, and up from 40 to 60psi under throttle.
Should I replace the oil pump, and, can the pan be dropped without pulling the motor?

I now reside in Alexandria,Virginia.
thanks all..
O:)Dave Dume

what is a purple "stripe" cam? and the rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm's. so I would say you are fine right now, but your tolerances are getting loose.

It's not low. Leave it alone.

15#...........that's good. 15# at 3000 and you have a problem! tmm

I had that at idle and torched the bearings. Couple rods got hot, they junk. I had 50+ down track and about 15 idling into the burnout box. Make what you will of it.

15 lbs. is fine,, there's a lotta vehicles running around with less,, if it were "idiot" lite equipped,, the lite would come on at about 8 lbs.. so you got 7 lbs extra.. lol ..sorta..

I had that at idle and torched the bearings. Couple rods got hot, they junk. I had 50+ down track and about 15 idling into the burnout box. Make what you will of it.

Race engine should have more.

Actually some all out race engines will have less at idle.

But your good. Wouldn't be worried about it.

That's ok, a little more is better but I wouldn't tear apart the engine. Maybe try a thicker oil in the summer what rpm is the 15 psi big difference if your idle is at 650 or 1,000

if the engine is in good shape. that pressure is ok at idle IF the pressure come up with the RPM. and what oil are using? not that water some pass off as oil i hope.

You haven't mentioned what oil you're running.
Although with that said; I'm running 5w20 in my '73 bonestock 318 and only after a long trip on the highway and back into town it will go to 20 psi @ 550 rpm.

-
Back