lower control arm pivots

-

khaley71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey gang im doing the front end on my Dart. How to remove the lower control arm pivots from the lca so I can get the lca bushings out? Can I use my air hammer with a blunt tip and knock the pivots out that way? I dont have access to a press.

that's how I have dun it many times.and put the new ones In the freezer before you start the will go in a little easier with a 2lb.hammer and a block of wood unless you have a vice......Artie

Browse through the posts in susp forums there are pics of home made tools and almost step by step on how to do it . .I just did mine but I had access to a press. If I ever do that again I would clean up the parts and have the new parts in hand and swing into a machine shop and have the press the bushings in and out. A front end shop removed and replaced my upper ball joints 20.00 worth every penny.
Moe

hey Ink your going to be a very busy man making every topic a sticky!!!!!! I haven`t seen a post that you could`nt go through the archives and read about. And heck if we didn`t see the how do i do it post,what would we read about BACON????????????? lol

JUST MESSIN WITH YA
Moe

Ok so maybe I should have worded my question differently. I know how to get the lca bushings out. Its the pivots that I wanted to know if I could use my air hammer to knock out from the back where the torsion bar slides in. Doesnt really matter now though cause all I did was f*%k them up...so guess I will have to wait a little longer now. And the wife wonders why I wanna trade all my junk for something thats already done :banghead:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/index.html

khaley71
Getting the "shafts" or "pivot pins" (whatever you personally call that part)
out of the LCA's is the easy part of the rebuilding process.
They just press out from the back side of the LCA, using a hydraulic press, or using the tool that the American Muscle Company sells, works great, also.
Read the above tech article that Mopar Muscle Magazine published.
It has good technical information on how to get the job done.

In the past I have used a medium sized vise as a press (way too much work). A 3lb sedge and a drift will also knock the pins out, but there really is no good substitute for a $100 press... (well, they're probably closer to $150 now).

You can go to advance auto and rent a ball joint instal tool. Just a big c-clamp with a open cupped end. I use that to remove and install all the bushing for upper and lower arms. I use a long punch in place of it's swivel end to remove the stud. A socket to remove the rubber and a sawzal to remove the inner metal. I have used a sawzal and zip wheel to remove the metal sleeve from the pin.

Kahley be patient on these matters believe me I know what you are going through. Some times answeres don't come don't come in time. Just hang in there it will get better yesterday I took my 64 Dart in for alignment after I rebuilt the front end, needed to raise my ride height and I tole the guy he should jack the front end up first before and take the pressure off the jacking bolts . Next thing I know he has a 1/2 inch impact gun on on the drivers side and stripped the threads, man was I pissed.
Moe

In reading over the posts again, I think you wanted to remove the pivot itself from the lower arm. The lower arm was put together with the pivot captured between the 2 sides. The entire assembly goes to the arbor press for bushing and pin renew. No practical reason I can think of for trying to remove the pivot from the arm assembly.

-
Back