Made a Cam-Lamp

-

tomcopbar

Reaction score
Had my 100,000 miles 318 factory cam lying around, gave me an idea. Turned out pretty decent and for only $16 you definatley can't beat it with any lamp you'll buy for that much.

$6 EKAS shade from IKEA
$10 hanging light from same,
Light is supposed to hang from ceiling with orbs for shades or something, but the base fits perfectly into the cam retaining plate and clamps itself on with the shade with a threaded collar. I just zip-tied the wire down the back and out of site. One very small downside is that there, as of right now, is no switch, I have to plug it in everytime but not really an issue.

Attachments

• lamp2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 442
I'm single so that's not a problem....
What about painting it Panther ink with plum crazy flowers...

get it chromed LOL, and add it to the man cave. i think i may make one for myself, great idea. thanks for sharing.

home depot or lowes should have a switch that wires in-line on your cord, couple bucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,cool lamp

Looks great! I bet the cams would work for legs on the coffee table also!

That's a good looking lamp. If you decide to add a switch, you might use the kind with a dimmer, it's nice to be able to adjust the brighness.

Looks good! As far as furiture goes, my L/R coffee table is a pair of 33/16.6 MT slicks with tubes and a piece of glass across em. Good conversation starter. When i brought em home i was vacuuming up gold dust for weeks LOL

Now thats a great idea. Ever seen a center table having an engine block as the base? Thinking about something like that.

Now thats a great idea. Ever seen a center table having an engine block as the base? Thinking about something like that.

Like this? Not something id want to move very often tho lol check the empty cylinders used to hold wine bottles. I may try this once the slicks get old....

Attachments

• sweet coffee table.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 538
Thats a good idea.

I have seen tires for end tables, an engine block with the pistons hanging out of it with a plate of glass on top as a coffee table, a friend of mine took his blown up chevy motor and welded all the junk parts together and made a robot/man looking thing lol. and I have seen tool box's as kitchen cabinets and what not also.

I always wanted to one day build a automotive themed room (luckily my wife likes the idea just as much as me lol).

cool idea though, I might have to do something like that sometime....only problem is, if you did a hole room themed like that, re arranging would be a task when it comes to how much everything would weigh lol.

hey maybe you get get Leanna to powder coat your new lamp?

I saw end tables made of steel wheels welded together once. Smoked plexiglas top covered a string of white Christmas lights. Cord through one valve stem hole and toggle switch in another.

I love this cam/lamp idea, very nice.

I have seen an old blown up Kieth Black aluminum Hemi block with a large piece of Lexan across for a coffee table. I forget who used to have it, but it was pretty cool.

Thanks for all the comments, I seriously did not expect this reaction. I did think about getting it chromed, I can get it done through work, but the colours of the cam and the shade match to well to change. A shade that looked like an air filter might look cool to...

I would chrome it

No need for on off switch on cord.

I have many lamps on remotes. I have one that up to 20 different things can be turned off and on, but easiest to have just 4.

When it matched your living room she would. :-\" :-\" :-\"

Corrected. LOL :sunny:

Power coat it...... Like a PurPple cam ... :-\" :-\" :-\"

Chrome sounds cool though. I like it. It wuold be at hme in my home without objection because people would walk in and say, "Yea, that's so Rob, of course it would show up."

How did ya do it? Drill straight down?
What parts did you use?

-
Back