made in USA adjustable 2 wire regulator

-

cdnEHbody

Reaction score
Okay. So, even with the stock style regulator having a proper ground reference and a relayed + reference and alternatlr field +. It always seemed to charge a bit high for my tastes. around 14.8. Probably original. Well. Decided since my Xs650 motorcycle uses an isolated field 2 wire alternator with mechanical regulator that I had upgraded at one time and replaced with an adjustable solid state one from Oregon motorcycle parts. I figured it would work for my 71 valiant with 2 wire alternator.

Install was simple. Used one bolt from where the stocker was and a self tapper on the top. Wiring is simple. It comes with a nice 3 prong pig tail connector. Now...listen up. The stock regulator controls the - from the field on the alt. This one controls the +. Have to switch that up. Easy peasy. Brown is your keyed + reference. Black is ground. And green is the + field wire control.

20160706_203701.jpg

I got it as low as 13.5 to 14.7ish. Made in USA by an average Joe. I like high quality parts. Built to last. don't need to rely on sketchy new made elsewhere. set while running with a small white dial on the side and a screw driver. Comes with clear instructions.

Remember. Field wiring has to be easily modified. One pole to the alt is now grounded. Other is controlled from the regulator green.

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com

What is the ignition voltage compared to battery? This is the usual cause of high voltage. Also, the Mopars are temp compensated, so you must let things warm up and stabilize. Your link does not seem to work. It takes me to a motorcycle page, but I don't see a regulator there....................

Stock had some drop. Didn't remember what. So I relayed the regulator reference and the field hot wire right from the battery. Still 14.8 all the time. I have cleaned and used die electric grease on all of the bulkhead connectors. New engine to battery ground, battery to front of car and to old regulator case. Still 14.8

tried new field wiring....which I left for this install. Left the relayed hot to the regulator too. No point using the old wiring for that.

Last edited:
Go to products on the page. It's for Yamaha xs twins.

it's probably the old regulator and the ignition switch itself. but the car is aa low mile granny car that wasn't winter driven. Even the bulkheads were pretty clean when I pulled them open to clean them.

Not advocating this as a fix for really butchered bulkhead connectors and dirty connections. But I went through everything...as an electrician Iwas satisfied with my chase down and trouble sshooting and looked for a good alternative.

Last edited:
That is an Asian built regulator, right?
(not really a question there) :D

The adjustable part is pretty cool.

I also talked back and forth with him and he says he over builds them so no worries there. this would be an even better alternative to a Mopar that's upgrading to a 2 wire alternator and regulator since the wiring to the field needs to be changed anyways.

Haha. To replace the old Asian mechanical regulator.

I also talked back and forth with him and he says he over builds them so no worries there. this would be an even better alternative to a Mopar that's upgrading to a 2 wire alternator and regulator since the wiring to the field needs to be changed anyways.

Haha. To replace the old Asian mechanical regulator.

I only asked because of this "Made in USA by an average Joe"
Not knocking it or anything, as I know how it is and use what works best brand and manufacturer be damned. :D
I was curious if it was manufactured here or there because of the above statement. :D

You ride an xs650.

You make any side money busting up concrete with that ol jackhammer? I've seen some SWEET flat trackers built on those, but man, the vibrations were SO BAD

You ride an xs650.

You make any side money busting up concrete with that ol jackhammer? I've seen some SWEET flat trackers built on those, but man, the vibrations were SO BAD

I did have a 74 up until this year. Decided to buy a modern triumph scrambler. Tired of the old bike game. They are an excellent bike the Ole xs. Giant roller bearings on everything. Runs on 7 psi oil pressure. Silly reliable and durable.

I did have a 74 up until this year. Decided to buy a modern triumph scrambler. Tired of the old bike game. They are an excellent bike the Ole xs. Giant roller bearings on everything. Runs on 7 psi oil pressure. Silly reliable and durable.
I agree, massively overbuilt and fun to ride. I did own one with a spun rod bearing. Traded it to a friend who diagnosed it and fixed it and rode it for years

Last edited:
-
Back