Magnum 360 Swap Questions

-

streetdak

Reaction score
I just got my 360 out of my Grand Cherokee donor running independent of the vehicle so im stoaked! ready to slap it in the Swinger, but need to know some info first.

First question, im most likely going to have to use my 904 from my 318 for a while. I have a 3k converter in it now, I know I have to get balance weights welded on the converter because of the external balance of the 360, but will it bolt up to the 360? Or do I need to change the flywheel?

2nd, what PSI fuel pump do I need to run and do I need to run a regulator inline, or is there a built in regulator in the fuel line on the magnum motor?

thanks for any and all help!

if you are running the fuel injection, then you should grab the cpu, harness n all including the electric fuel pump. If you are gonna run a carburetor...just buy an electric holley 'red' pump and that will work good with no regulator.

and if u are running the cpu and fuel injection, you will need the hall sensor.

the flex plate b&m sells would fix the mag balance issue and u could get away with running the 904 internal balance convertor.

Attachments

• mopp_0407_08_z+b_and_m+flex_plate.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 285
it is fuel injected, and is running, we made our own harness from the existing grand cherokee one. so that shouldnt be a problem, I just need to know what psi it requires, and if i need to regulate it. Not sure what a hall sensor is more info would be awesome. and do you have a part number for that b&m?1

Do not use the B&M flexplate on Magnum 360 engines!!!

Having done this swap a couple of times myself, the magnums have a totally different balance than the LA 360. Last time i checked, b&m didnt have a flexplate that was specific to magnum 360s. The best and cheapest thing to do is use the factory "shutter wheel" flexplate, but this requrires a slight modification. The tourque converter bolt holes are equally spaced on the shutter wheel, and to use this on older converters requires that one, any one, of the holes be elongated and the extra width of the elongeted hole be welded up and ground flat. Basically, make it match the bolt holes on the old style flexplate.

These motors run very strong in dead stock form. Years ago i put one in my challenger. With only a 600 holley atop a crappy low rise dual plane mopar perf intake, the car would run 14.1 in the quarter. Every run. I changed the rear gear from a 2.76 to a 3.23 and gained NOTHING in the quarter. What i did get from the ger change is a nasty driveline vibration. Low rpm tourque is what this baby was made for.

A guy named foureyedfox,has a service selling plug and play wire harnesses here.There is a thread in the for sale forum on it.

CraigMachine is correct, however B and M no longer offers the 360 Mag balancer. You will need a flex plate from a 96 up 360 Magnum as they are balanced with weights on the flexplate as the earlier ones were balanced with weights on the torque converter,
YOU MUST RUN A NEUTRAL BALANCE CONVERTER WITH NO WEIGHTS ON IT WITH THIS SETUP.

Do not use the B&M flexplate on Magnum 360 engines!!!

Having done this swap a couple of times myself, the magnums have a totally different balance than the LA 360. Last time i checked, b&m didnt have a flexplate that was specific to magnum 360s.

Thats what i said, they dont offer one for a 904 trans, they do however offer one for the magnum 93 up for 727.

CraigMachine is correct, however B and M no longer offers the 360 Mag balancer. You will need a flex plate from a 96 up 360 Magnum as they are balanced with weights on the flexplate as the earlier ones were balanced with weights on the torque converter,

This is the most common way to mate a 904 to a 5.9 magnum engine. Just remember you'll also have to widen one of the holes in the flex plate for all the (converter) bolts to line up.

Well thanks guys! I knew I could depend on ya'll! My converter is neutral balance because I had bought it for my 318, and the 360 is out of a 98 5.9 Limited Grand so I will just elongate one of the flex plate holes. Will the stock oil pickup out of the 318 work on the Magnum motor? This seems to be all I have left to do is buy a new oil pan and a fuel pump. This swap is relativity simple thanks to a full running donor vehicle and a autozone wiring diagram. I hope to try to document the build for others. Thanks for the help!!

-
Back