Magnum intake drilling plate project

-
Great - I’ve stupidly purchased EngineQuest heads in Magnum intake pattern (too late to return) and really need to drill to the LA pattern. Can you help, happy to compensate? Feel free to DM if preferred.

He is talking about using a beer barrel intake only as a jig. He wants to use an aftermarket MP intake that is more like an LA intake, but with vertical bolts and injector bosses.
Yeh I understand, but I still don't understand how that could work.

Yeh I understand, but I still don't understand how that could work.
It would work by installing the la style heads to the engine just holding them down with a few bolts hand tight. then putting the magnum style intake on top and lining it up as if you were going to install it, putting a bunch of weight on top and/or clamping it to hold it firmly in place, and then lining the holes in the manifold with sleeves with lubrication inside and then using that as a guide and drilling down into the heads. once as many holes are drilled as can be (which should be all except the last two in the way back) while mounted on the engine, take it all apart, use the thread tapper to create the threads, then bolt them all together on a table or watever make sure its lined up right, tighten it enough to keep it stable and drill out those last two holes in the back and then tap them.

i ended up deciding not to do this though because the magnum ports on the magnum intake manifold dont actually match up too good with the ones in the la heads. the magnum ports are about a quarter inch shorter than the ones in the la style and there wouldnt be enough material there to do a port match you could probably get it kinda close but it would be dangerously thin. I ended up finding the same type of manifold but in la style just without injector bungs so im working on drilling 8 holes in that intake this week and having bungs welded in. will post some pics when done. this way at least the ports match up perfect and no need to drill the heads.

i would think putting an la manifold on a magnum head would be off too.... the manifold would have bigger openings than the head so you would have to do some serious porting to the head to get that opened up to size... not sure if theres enough meat there or not but you could prob get it close.

-
Back