Making power out of the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having tore down both 318 and 340 Ill say I agree. It's in the details. People say the 318 is identical, only a little and its externally. So in theory all the little parts you'd have to obtain and swap into a 318 make it expensive to build up. Anyone who knows knows this. For example you are going to buid up a 318 you need heads. OP has 360 heads ,great they are already one step ahead...but wait, there's more...the pistons, the cam...you going to rev up to 5500-6000 is the bottom end going to hold up...etc.? the heads need milled does the block need bored? how bout the crank? Machine work how much will it cost? What are the gains after the money is spent?
Back in post 303 you said "I'm out guys", so make it happen already.

Where did the red X go? Absolutely wrong and stupid.
Another one wants to red x the prior post.
Look at 302 Ford's, with what has been done with them. You 360 promoters brag about a whole 1/4" difference in stroke between 318/360, yet they made up for that potential benefit by castration in the way of huge chambers and dished pistons on the 360. That's 1 step forward and 2 backwards.
The 318 has a longer stroke difference between itself and the 302 than the 360 does to the 318
I ain't no Ford guy. Never have been. But there's a smaller V8 yet that many people have been able to blow away the OPs goals with (which I think are ridiculous for a 1st car/daily driver in the first place)
Granted the aftermarket has offered way more support to the Ford idiots than they ever have to us... But it CAN be done with the 318.
How bout the little 327 shivvy?
So don't count out the 318.

Best 318 build out there is Roadkill garages . How many have duplicated it and how much did it cost?

There' alot of big talk about 318s especially on Youtube but the way I see it you'll hit a wall with them eventually where you'll have alot of money dumped into it trying to do what...prove it can be made into a 340? no one has really actually done that yet. The one guy on youtube broke the crank revving it too high thus pointing out another weakness. I dont want to hear about the Vizard build till its done then I want to see a list of what was done and how much it would cost in the real world, I also want to see it ran on a dyno real time with HP numbers. I dont care about home porting 318 heads with no proof of any gains...its all talk, internet bench racing I'm not concerned with hypothetical builds that no one will ever do because they complain about "the cost of a 340 or 360 block" and also complain that "318 is better on gas than 360" Truth is the average guy who wants tpo make power that he/she can afford isnt starting with a LA 318 or even a magnum 5.2 theyll go with a 360 /5.9 as a foundation thats what makes sense. I am talking about someone who wants high 300-400 horse in the end. I makes absolutely no sense t o dish out the cash on a 318 only to maybe swap the heads and intake over to a 360/360 stroker bottom end later on down the line this is why youll see 318 builds for 4 grand plus its the guy trying to unload one after they wised up. Usually the cam heads and induction system is what gets parted out the bottom end goes for cheap no matter what machine work was done. i have no issues with 318s at all I've owned a couple and rebuilt a couple, but I usually chime in when people get carried aweay and say "its a 340 it can do what a 340 can do" snake oil salesmen like Yuncle Tonee started that and people parrot it. No amount of internet bullying changes truth.
A lot depends on what the intended use is. You want to go racing, fine. Have at it. Butt you need to remember that a lot of people here want a good performing vehicle that gets reasonable fuel economy. Those that get off on the tangent of must have a high stall converter and 3.91 or deeper gears are on the racer thought pattern. Those do not contribute to street fuel economy. And you should be considering that as the cost of fuel is not likely going down by much.
If you guys have your heads in racing, start a race oriented thread and argue your hearts out there.

Another one wants to red x the prior post.
Look at 302 Ford's, with what has been done with them. You 360 promoters brag about a whole 1/4" difference in stroke between 318/360, yet they made up for that potential benefit by castration in the way of huge chambers and dished pistons on the 360. That's 1 step forward and 2 backwards.
The 318 has a longer stroke difference between itself and the 302 than the 360 does to the 318
I ain't no Ford guy. Never have been. But there's a smaller V8 yet that many people have been able to blow away the OPs goals with (which I think are ridiculous for a 1st car/daily driver in the first place)
Granted the aftermarket has offered way more support to the Ford idiots than they ever have to us... But it CAN be done with the 318.
How bout the little 327 shivvy?
So don't count out the 318.
Ford has always done more with less. That's admirable, from any angle, I don't care who you are. Just look how many different versions of the 302 there have been and the BOSS 302 was a frikkin barn burner.

You don't have to understand and or agree with what people choose to build. We build Mopars the least popular choice of the big 3 who cares if some choose to hop up /6 273 318 or whatever other engine you or others think is a waste of time.

I get it if someone thinks there gonna build a NA 600 hp daily driver 170 /6 someone gonna have to break the bad news to them. But if the OP kind of gets what there up against then who cares what they build.

Ford has always done more with less. That's admirable, from any angle, I don't care who you are. Just look how many different versions of the 302 there have been and the BOSS 302 was a frikkin barn burner.
In my experience the 289 K motor was the best all around. I never had any experience with a Boss 302. I do have experience with 351 Cleveland 4 barrel heads, Wow!

In my experience the 289 K motor was the best all around. I never had any experience with a Boss 302. I do have experience with 351 Cleveland 4 barrel heads, Wow!
Yeah, they can flow for sure. Ford's downfall through the muscle car era was their stupid retarded camshaft timing. Just nuts. That killed any chance they had to really compete. I honestly believe had they not done that, muscle car history could have been a lot different.

And even though ford guys have a lot of choices 289/302 are still popular builds even when stroked aren't much larger then a over bored 318.

Well the title of the thread is "Making power" with the 318...and I wish you'd quit quoting me, if you don't agree ignore and move on past..(where have I heard that before...?) :thumbsup:

P.S. Id love a 273 HiPo 340/360 thread but you'd show up there wouldn't ya LOL! boss man telling people to start their own threads who the hell do you think you are...its ok Ill leave you know why? deleted Just help the kid out you should be telling him to get a solid complete core engine and overhaul it no mish mash of parts out of you alls head that will cost a fortune and run like a pig.

Last edited:
Yeah, they can flow for sure. Ford's downfall through the muscle car era was their stupid retarded camshaft timing. Just nuts. That killed any chance they had to really compete. I honestly believe had they not done that, muscle car history could have been a lot different.

They are muscle car history. Early NASCAR and NHRA winners were Ford and Chrysler.

And even though ford guys have a lot of choices 289/302 are still popular builds even when stroked aren't much larger then a over bored 318.
Correct, but even the lowly 289 got a 4" bore. Even still, the 318 can be made to have plenty of power with smart parts choices.

They are muscle car history. Early NASCAR and NHRA winners were Ford and Chrysler.
Exactly. But on the street was a little different. You don't hear any stories about 428s eating Hemis for lunch. Even the coveted BOSS 429 couldn't handle a 426 Hemi, even though it was one of TWO Hemi engines in Ford's lineup. Now the other Ford Hemi, the 427 SOHC was a Hemi killer. But the problem with them was, they were so rare they were almost experimental.

Was a barn burner on a road race track.
Both the boss 302 and dz302 were dogs on the street slow as chit both needed 4.88 gears and slicks to be even remotely quick the ta chally and aar cuda sucked the paint off both running low 14.0 14.1 they ran 15.0 with as delivered gearing many road test showing them as dogs.Best small block ever made imo 351-c made and honest 380 hp with a good tune high 13s in a pretty heavy stang the Lt1 was over rated still gets 2nd spot 340 takes 3rd best olds 330-310 hp 11 to1 comp also a great engine. the boss 302 and 302 z28 beautifull cars. ill take a 351c scj any day of the week and twice on sunday over the boss 302

Was a barn burner on a road race track.
Both the boss 302 and dz302 were dogs on the street slow as chit both needed 4.88 gears and slicks to be even remotely quick the ta chally and aar cuda sucked the paint off both running low 14.0 14.1 they ran 15.0 with as delivered gearing many road test showing them as dogs.Best small block ever made imo 351-c made and honest 380 hp with a good tune high 13s in a pretty heavy stang the Lt1 was over rated still gets 2nd spot 340 takes 3rd best olds 330-310 hp 11 to1 comp also a great engine. the boss 302 and 302 z28 beautifull cars. ill take a 351c scj any day of the week and twice on sunday over the boss 302
They were both incredible FOR WHAT THEY WERE MADE FOR. On the street was out of their element. They were both thoroughbred race engines. Was no 351C SCJ Only 351C 2V, 4V, CJ and BOSS. I'm a huge Cleveland fan. I have a complete 70 M code 4V engine. I'll likely never do anything with it, but I have one. lol

i
They were both incredible FOR WHAT THEY WERE MADE FOR. On the street was out of their element. They were both thoroughbred race engines. Was no 351C SCJ Only 351C 2V, 4V, CJ and BOSS. I'm a huge Cleveland fan. I have a complete 70 M code 4V engine. I'll likely never do anything with it, but I have one. lol
I should have said 351 boss a killer engine

Exactly. But on the street was a little different. You don't hear any stories about 428s eating Hemis for lunch. Even the coveted BOSS 429 couldn't handle a 426 Hemi, even though it was one of TWO Hemi engines in Ford's lineup. Now the other Ford Hemi, the 427 SOHC was a Hemi killer. But the problem with them was, they were so rare they were almost experimental.

A friend had a Boss 429 Mustang. They were known as slow, he had his engine replaced under warranty. The new motor was very quick, turns out the replacement was a Nascar Boss 429. He made a lot of money with that car... We digress, sorry.

13-14 seconds for a street car back then was respectable...I had heard the DZ 302 was a dog on the street...

289-271 hp way over rated the pulled 235 240 on the dyno

Back in post 303 you said "I'm out guys", so make it happen already.
it won't, that much you can count on. he's back on his bullshit again. probably get another vacation, maybe then he can finish up his 340 instead of posting nonsensical blather all day.

The 4V Boss heads from 1970 were better than the 1969. Ford reduced the intake valve diameter a bit to aid low speed torque. The Boss engines were a bit soggy on low RPM but came on strong as the revs climbed.
Heads on the K code 289's shared the castings with the other 289 engines. They did have screwin rocker studs for the solid flat tappet camshaft used. Ports are small with a dogleg around the pushrod. They also do not generate an abundence of swirl.
Like a number of teen heads with restricted port volumn from the factory, some judiscious porting can vastly increase the effectivness of the heads by a lot. A big flow number is not the solution to big power gains. Flow velocity which is a contributor to port energy has a big contribution to cylinder filling and swirl.
Now closed chamber heads for the 318 would aid compression and mixture motion. A person with some welding experience could build a furnace to heat a head to cherry red and weld up a quench pad into the chambers. Then it needs to be cooled slowly over a number of days.
Back in the 1940s to the 1960s, Chevy guys would do that to the 216 and 235 6 cylinder heads to raise compression as far as 12:1. Of course guides must be checked and possibly replaced after and then a complete valve job after grinding the combustion chambers to.conform to the new shape and volumn. Then the head surface needs to be milled for gasket seal.
I see minimal difficulty doing that to 318 heads to raise compression and gain mixture motion which prevents detonation. A little pocket porting and port matching with a carbide burr and you could have decent heads. Lots of time but minimal cash outlay involved.

And no matter how much you preach it to some of these guys, they'll never believe it. They all just "gotta have" 400 plus HP.
Another good cam is Mp 211/218 on 110 lsa, p4452257. Very good in stock compression applications. I believe it is one larger than the 300hp Mp crate motor cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back