Manifold doesn't line up

-

SeattleQQ1Fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 67 273 with 302 casting heads and a Weinad Action Plus intake. When I test fit the manifold without the gaskets, the holes don't line up, not even close.
IMG_3104.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG

I don't think the engine block has ever been out of the car and I know the manifold hasn't been modified. I bought the heads complete from Rockauto and the machine shop that went through them for me said they are in good shape. The intake worked fine with the original heads.
For comparison, I dropped on the factory iron manifold and the holes line up:
IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG

Just for fun, I placed the cork gaskets on the end rails and the holes line up nicely, but the gap between the head and manifold looks pretty substantial:
IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

Will my printoseal gaskets seal a gap that big? Maybe I'm just overthinking this? Any ideas on what's going on here? Thanks in advance

IMG_3106.JPG

Are there locating pins on the block to the heads?

It better not line up with the gaskets not in there.

Leave the end gaskets off and use Right Stuff for the end rails.

Put the gasket on and set the intake on it. If the bolt holes line up, run it. If they don’t, then you need to mill the intake.

Those heads have been milled on the intake face.

Those heads have been milled on the intake face.

That's what I thought, but then why does the iron manifold line up?

I think milling the manifold would make it worse, right?

I wondered if the heads were milled to bring the compression up, but again, why does the iron manifold line up???

OP: can you borrow another aluminum 4bbl manifold to try? Is the Weiand manifold new?

OP: can you borrow another aluminum 4bbl manifold to try? Is the Weiand manifold new?
Unfortunately I don’t have another intake and nobody I know in Seattle works on cars. The weiand intake was put on by the previous owner right before I bought the car.

If it were me, I’d get rid of the cork end gaskets, use masking tape to hold both of your intake gaskets onto the heads, lay the intake on again, and see how it lines up. Get another picture of the holes that way.
Also try to look down a port to see how bad the mismatch is.

Where in Seattle? I'll try to find someone near you. (I'm on Vashon - if not for the virus, I'd bring one to you.)

that looks like a good sized gap for an intake gasket to seal. I can see that being a problem when tightening down the intake, it may even crack it. no milling any where is going to fix it, it will only make it worse. it looks like it would take doubling up on gaskets to seal it. I would compare measurements between the two intakes just to see how far off they are from each other.

If it were me, I’d get rid of the cork end gaskets, use masking tape to hold both of your intake gaskets onto the heads, lay the intake on again, and see how it lines up. Get another picture of the holes that way.
Also try to look down a port to see how bad the mismatch is.
07682CC0-707F-4CF3-8425-254CFCC9F217.jpeg
AABF04FE-C0A7-43DA-9B64-EA4FDB99C0DA.jpeg

Took the cork off, taped on the printoseals and the holes line up pretty well.

How much gap along the front rail now, where the cork gasket sits

we have 875hp big blocks and haven't used the end gaskets in at least 20+years,,,we use the right stuff,,and it holds up to 8300rpm for 2000 laps on our race cars,,I've never seen, nor heard of it failing when used to fill the ends,,and we have cut manifolds, heads,,,,sometimes that right stuff looks 1/2" thick on some motors,,,and never had one leak ever,,,and we've had probably 30 motors like that

Plain and simple, the gaskets take up space and raise the intake. If the bolt holes are off and you can lift the intake a 1/8" or so to align the holes then all is well. And like everybody said, toss the end seals and use Right Stuff instead. Clean and dry both surfaces, apply a good sized bead to the China wall and the edges where the gaskets are, bolt down the intake, torque as needed and walk away. No fluids or engine running until the next day. Let it set up. Good luck.

Too thin for a cork gasket. Right Stuff would be perfect.

More then likely the cork gasket would compress that much but i think the Rightstuf, applied per the directions, would be a good alternative

Looks like you are in good shape at this point. When you tighten down the manifold bolts the intake will get pulled down some so usually the bolt holes in the head start a just little bit up in the manifold holes. Don't expect perfect allighment.

Once this virus **** is solved we should get together. There's Mopar folks here on the island including the Wagons of Steel race team (all Mopar station wagon drag racers). All my old Mopars are 1970 Darts with small blocks - 3 of them, I've got lots of small block stuff around if you need something. Is the 273 going in your 69 b'cuda?

Looks like you are in good shape at this point. When you tighten down the manifold bolts the intake will get pulled down some so usually the bolt holes in the head start a just little bit up in the manifold holes. Don't expect perfect allighment.

Once this virus **** is solved we should get together. There's Mopar folks here on the island including the Wagons of Steel race team (all Mopar station wagon drag racers). All my old Mopars are 1970 Darts with small blocks - 3 of them, I've got lots of small block stuff around if you need something. Is the 273 going in your 69 b'cuda?
Yes, the 273 is in my Barracuda. It’s a 67 though. Vashon is cool, I like it over there. It has a nice small town vibe, which works for me way better than Seattle does. I’m moving back to Texas in a month, so I’m not sure we’ll be able to get together, but who knows. I wish I knew you all were over there sooner. My long term Barracuda project now has to be mobile in a month, so I’m sure you’ll be seeing more of me on this forum.

-
Back