manual steering box

-

rusty

Reaction score
Is there anyon out ther rebuilding manual steering boxes? I could probably get away with seals but what kind of grease goes in it?

I rebuilt my box and used a Mancini fast ratio gearset, and the seals from FirmFeel. As per FirmFeel's directions, pack it with bearing grease, and top it off with 80-90w gear oil to fill the viods and keep all inner surfaces covered. The box didnt take much 80-90 as it was full of grease. I have been using this box for about three years, it is just as smooth as the day I built it.

Just put mine back together yesterday evening. See my post on the weld repair.

I repacked with Moly wheel bearing grease. It is black and very smooth. Glad I got two worm shaft seals since I bent one trying to get it in what I assumed was correct (metal facing out). Put the other one in with the rubber out. I used a seal from a pwr gear kit (same PN, I read). It kept popping out, so I super-glued it. You don't need great seals. Unlike a power box, there is no pressure, and grease doesn't flow. The seals just keep the dirt out.

Read the FSM on adjusting. Tighten the worm shaft first (not too tight), then adjust the sector shaft. Anyone who has worked on a bicycle, could refresh one. Indeed, the bearings might cross to a bike PN.

-
Back