Master Cylinder - 67 Barracuda converted to front disc brakes

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
1967 Baracuda was upgraded to front disc brakes by the previous owner.
With all the "cobbling" that they did on the brakes, that we have fixed, do I have the correct Master Cylinder?
I've now got 4 Piston Willwood caliper up front; but the pedal doesn't seem any better than it was with the MOPAR single piston calipers.
I guess that I was expecting more pedal.
Wondering if the previous owner put the correct master cylinder on her for the front disc brakes???

Yes, there is a proportioning valve mounted below on the frame.

IMG_1156[1].jpg

number 1.jpg

number 2.jpg

number 3.jpg

That looks like a drum drum master.

Masters come in 3 sizes (basically) for our cars

1 inch is the typical standard size for our cars. (power or manual, disk or drum)

15/16 will decrease the amount of leg force but increase the travel

1-1/32 will increase the leg force but decrease the travel

Disk drum
Screenshot_20240817-105740.png

Drum drum
Screenshot_20240817-110028.png

Explain the sizes, please.
it's the size of the piston. because the piston moves the fluid this has a direct correlation on pedal feel in conjunction with caliper piston size and amount.

also, you're unlikely to get a firmer pedal with aftermarket multi piston calipers. more pistons, more area, and it gets less firm. it's too hot out to explain the math right now.

either way, you need a disc/disc master. i'd upgrade to the modern two bolt master like from dr. diff

In the original post, you mention you " expected more pedal".
Do you mean that you expected the pedal to be more higher, or have more braking effect.
To get the pedal higher, try adjusting the rear brakes, that's where most "pedal" disappears, poor/no adjustment.
More braking effect can be master cyl bore size, ( smaller m/c piston gives better pedal effort to the actual brake calipers) and pad material.
Don't think the Wildwood name supplies any more magic , it's just a pump/caliper, with an expensive name and decal.

Last edited:
In the original post, you mention you " expected more pedal".
Do you mean that you expected the pedal to be more higher, or have more braking effect.
To get the pedal higher, try adjusting the rear brakes, that's where most "pedal" disappears, poor/no adjustment.
More braking effect can be master cyl bore size, ( smaller m/c piston gives better pedal effort to the actual brake calipers) and pad material.
Don't think the Wildwood name supplies any more magic , it's just a pump/caliper, with an expensive name and decal.
Yes!

Expected a little more of both; stopping power and pedal resistance.
But,if you look at my original post, you see that the previous owner left the drum brake MC on the car, even after he put discs on the front.

I'm a pretty careful driver with the Barracuda, so it's just fine for now.
Maybe over the winter season I will look for a disc brake MC.

From the historic threads and links I found some great diagrams and MOPAR specs on boteh brake systems.
The MC I need is part# 280 8600; casting number 222 5541; or a compatible aftermarket MC.

-
Back