Matching Numbers and resale value

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know having the original engine and trans in a car is something a lot of people do not care about these days but for resale value and 2 identically optioned cars how much of a percentage of the value can be added with the drive train being original to the car?

Depends on the car. If it is a slanty the price will be close to the same but a Hemi car there will be a big difference.

It depends what year too. VIN's started showing up on engines and transmissions around 1968 I believe. Earlier cars are just date code correct.

The more rare the car, the more it matters. Like chryslerfat said, if it's a /6 or 318 Dart, nobody will care. 340 GTS they might care some. 383 GTS or a Hemi Dart, they will care a lot! But of course if the whole car is modified or not otherwise restored to the build sheet or the fender tag, the matching numbers on the engine won't matter much, no matter what.

Well, I'd care. I sold my 1970 Dart 4-door /6 car after I found out the engine had been replaced.

That said.....

Value guides typically are for all original cars. You do not 'add' for numbers matching, you start deducting if an original major component is gone.

So, if two cars are otherwise identical in appearance & condition you would expect to pay less for the one that is no longer still 'complete' as delivered.

That is true from /6 to Hemi.

Values also drop dramatically for re-VINed cars, re-stamped engines & / or transmissions, cars with fake fender tags, fake window stickers, etc.

I think it depends on the car and the buyer. A person looking for a preserved investment, or a restored investment, will consider it a bigger deal than a guy that "always wanted one like the one I had in high school". It has become more critical if there is any interest in value increasing because of all the fakes and changed cars. I suppose as a buyer, if I was looking, I'd make it a negotiating point but I don't think it would be any huge percentage. Like was said - the higher the value of the car, the more important it will be.

I think if it is an unrestored car the price would be less, but the percentage higher. Where a restored car the price would be much higher, but the percentage would be less. Just my opinion but I think only a collector/investor, looking at an original unrestored car, would value the matching numbers engine at 30%. I just can't see a perfect restoration with a sale price around say, $27K, sell for $20K because the engine isn't matching. But I could definitely see a restorable but unrestored car, selling around $8K, selling for $6K because of the non numbers engine in it.

I know having the original engine and trans in a car is something a lot of people do not care about these days but for resale value and 2 identically optioned cars how much of a percentage of the value can be added with the drive train being original to the car?
I would put the percentage at half that as a numbers matching H code car. I would add more if the body was rust free and the interior complete.

A

Numbers Matching in a vehicle will always bring more money, in theory it supports a well cared for vehicle , not one that was beat on and the motor replaced or a car picked apart for it's desirable parts back in the day , now slapped together for resale

Well I don't think I can answer the question directly by any means and I don't think there's a perfect answer either. I think it would again like everybody else is saying would depend on the car. My personal take on this is number matching cars are more concern for professional car flippers and bragging rights for the Lucky Joe hobbyist who stumbles into one.
me personally: I don't go running for my wallet when I hear "numbers matching"

Numbers are a big deal for rare B and E bodies but at the A body level you'll probably find the quality of the car will have more effect on the price unless it's very rare like an M code or something.

Numbers are a big deal for rare B and E bodies but at the A body level you'll probably find the quality of the car will have more effect on the price unless it's very rare like an M code or something.

This is kinda in line with my 30% estimate, where a $100k Superbird either has its original engine or doesn't! Has it...$100k, doesn't have it...$70k! The above mentioned A body Dart with a 340 could definitely see a 30% increase, regardless of where it is on the charts! In some models such as an M code car, you may lose as much as 1/2 of the value without the original motor, or gain it with it!

Does it matter to most people?? Only when you're selling, and only to the 69 and newer crowd!!

-
Back