Maximum HP in 904 Transmission With the following parts:

-
I vote for a sticky from Chris Andrews Racing,on how to build the 904 for a small block running anywhere from 400-600hp.Mine is working great from his advise.

I second that! I've been buildin um a while but found out today there's even more you can do on a street build. That's a great idea. The two transmissions are so similar, he could probably make recommendations on both as he went along.

I'd be interested in seeing any 904 with a Cheeta launch with 600hp... Well, more than a few times anyway. Cheetas are not low band apply. I'm not with Andrews on that one...

That could cause a kablewy.

Ok to all you Cheetah VB haters, I'll consider the source, because most if not all of you who trash them have never had 1 grenade the tranny i'll bet, your just going off what others have experienced, BUT you don't know the whole story or how they treated there tranny, i've been running them for yrs. & never had any issues, & i know of many many die hard racers that swear by them & too have ran them for yrs.

I will rephrase my last post, He said at MY HP level i'll will be fine, So didn't mean He ran cheetah VBs, he just stated that a stock 904 will handle 600HP.

How many have seen a 904 front drum blow like a 727 does? Hands up and how many?

Never seen one myself. Plenty of 727's.

Last time I spoke to Chris about a VB he had for sale, he suggested I pass on the one he had and go with a LBA when he found out it was going into a 727.

I had a good friend of mine build me a 999 back in 1992 with a mopar performance rebuild kit,cheetah vb,4800 TA conv. I ran this trans in my 10 second Mirada till 2000 and then put it in the Dart for 2 years till I collected all the parts to switch it to a 4spd. I put over 400 1/4 mile passes on it and more than 20000 street miles, the trans has never had the pan off of it,the trans always shifted crisp and clean the fluid is still brite red. The guy that built it always said if it working good don't mess with it! With a reverse vb always start your burn out in second gear and shift right to high, never start your burn out in low gear or down shift to low until you stop or at least only doing a couple of mph. Run the deepess pan and larges cooler you can the more fluid the cooler it will run the longer it will last.

Hi friends,

Initially when JoeDust451 called me, I thought he was talking about a 727. I wouldn't really recommend a stock 904 be used behind 600hp. The 727 is a different story, however.

It all depends on how much power you make, the weight of the vehicle, and what your goals are with the car.

I mainly build 9-10 second 727's that bracket race at 6000 feet elevation. That unit we build is good for a minimum of 300 runs before a freshening.

The 904 on the other hand, is also very good. But it does need some upgrading. As mentioned, the high piston spring should be upgraded to the multi-spring design. Besides that we typically use red clutches and bands, and a low gear set to get these cars moving quicker. Heavier lower powered cars greatly benefit from the low gear set in a 904 or 727.

I DO only recommend and install valve bodies that apply the low/reverse band in first. I won't sell a valve body that doesn't. The pictures in the exploding torqueflite thread are all non-low band apply valve bodies. You need to be very careful in 1st gear regardless of which valve body you use.

With JoeDust's app, I recommended that he go ahead and install the 100 shot with no worries or upgrades needed to his current 904. If the transmission was in my shop, we usually upgrade them all the same to prevent a failure. Meaning, we over-build the transmission so you have room to grow. Most folks want to add more power later, etc.

Thanks for reading,

Chris Andrews

My experience with 904's is that I strip the output shaft teeth off inside the trans with a trans brake. I have done this a few times until I got a 300M output shaft. But **** then runs down hill so before I knew it new parts thru out.

-
Back