Mcleod Super Street Pro 10.5" clutch feedback

-

gzig5

Reaction score
It's time to start collecting some more parts for my 4spd conversion and if I use a hydraulic throwout bearing, the OEM type clutch I have probably won't work with it. So been looking around and came across a 10.5 Mcleod Super Street Pro. Most of the feedback was from N95 Mustang guys and hoping to get some real world feedback from use in a Mopar. Supposed to be good for up to 500hp in a street/track use. I will have a lot of street driving with autocross and road course track days as much as possible. Might hit the drag strip from time to time but that is not the focus of the build. At this point engine will be a 340 with heads and cam to support 450-475hp with an A833 and 3.55 gears behind it. Maybe be engine and transmission upgrade down the road but I have to get it moving under its own power first. Anyone have any direct experience with this clutch or recommend something that would work for my application?

Last edited:
I am using a super sport (not pro) with my 440/A833. Its a pretty stout engine and I am not kind to the car. No slip, no chatter, running with hydraulic setup. I can only imagine the pro being even better.

Super sport or super street pro? The super street pro is good for that level of HP and is a ceramic/organic disk.

I have a McLeod super street pro clutch behind the 340 in my Duster. It’s probably a little north of 400 hp, I use it on the street but the car itself is set up pretty aggressively for AutoX.

I ran it with an 833 for awhile before switching to a T56, I’m using the same pressure plate and just replaced the disk with the same style but with the spline count for the T56.

I’ve had no issues with it, it’s definitely a performance clutch but I pretty much daily drive my Duster most of the year and it does freeways and traffic etc. With the 833 I was running it with manual linkage, the hydraulic set up I run with the T56 now makes it a bit easier to deal with in traffic especially.

Appreciate the feedback. Being a newbie to this topic, where does the disc not perform in your opinion?

I’ve never cared for dual friction discs.

The material they use on the metallic side is what we used to call Velva-touch (don’t gig me on the spelling…that was 1982 when I saw that trade name lol) or something similar to that.

The biggest issue with it is heat. In fact, Ram used to had “paddle” discs. They had a six and three paddle with that lining on them.

Those discs were light and you could shift a fully syncro’d box at 9k.

But, that material doesn’t like heat. I haven’t been to an auto cross since the mid 1980’s and that was only once. I don’t remember how much shifting and other clutch work a lot.

That heat could be an issue. But 72NB says he’s using one and not having issues. So there is that.

Plus, I’m mostly ignorant about autox and I could be totally wrong about how it works. Maybe I should go to another one.

Super StreetPro. My bad. Corrected.

No worries! I just wanted to make sure I was actually talking about the right clutch

I’ve never cared for dual friction discs.

The material they use on the metallic side is what we used to call Velva-touch (don’t gig me on the spelling…that was 1982 when I saw that trade name lol) or something similar to that.

The biggest issue with it is heat. In fact, Ram used to had “paddle” discs. They had a six and three paddle with that lining on them.

Those discs were light and you could shift a fully syncro’d box at 9k.

But, that material doesn’t like heat. I haven’t been to an auto cross since the mid 1980’s and that was only once. I don’t remember how much shifting and other clutch work a lot.

That heat could be an issue. But 72NB says he’s using one and not having issues. So there is that.

Plus, I’m mostly ignorant about autox and I could be totally wrong about how it works. Maybe I should go to another one.

AutoX typically doesn’t have a ton of shifting. It depends on the course but most events you’re only doing 3 laps or so at a time on a pretty short course. And a lot of courses are basically run in one gear, maybe a downshift if there’s a really tight corner or an upshift for a longer straight section but speeds are usually kept under 50 mph because of track limitations and event insurance.

I tried to gear my car so most autoX’s would run in second gear.

Honestly getting stuck in traffic is harder on the clutch, and I haven’t had any issues with heat with mine in those situations. Before the hydraulic set up a long crawl in stop and go traffic would be a bit of a leg workout, but that’s the pressure plate not the clutch material causing the “issue” there.

Sounds like it should be a good fit, I think I'll give it a try. Too good of a deal to pass up if I can get it.

It's time to start collecting some more parts for my 4spd conversion and if I use a hydraulic throwout bearing, the OEM type clutch I have probably won't work with it. So been looking around and came across a 10.5 Mcleod Super Street Pro. Most of the feedback was from N95 Mustang guys and hoping to get some real world feedback from use in a Mopar. Supposed to be good for up to 500hp in a street/track use. I will have a lot of street driving with autocross and road course track days as much as possible. Might hit the drag strip from time to time but that is not the focus of the build. At this point engine will be a 340 with heads and cam to support 450-475hp with an A833 and 3.55 gears behind it. Maybe be engine and transmission upgrade down the road but I have to get it moving under its own power first. Anyone have any direct experience with this clutch or recommend something that would work for my application?
I have one in my car and have been happy with it. I have been beating on it a fair amount over three years and it still looks good, not many miles on it though, still isn't completely broken in lol. I will be running it in a couple weeks with what should be close to 600hp and a clutch tamer so we will see how it does!.

The funny thing is @Newbomb Turk rowed gears in the car a couple years ago but apparently forgot what clutch I have!

I have one in my car and have been happy with it. I have been beating on it a fair amount over three years and it still looks good, not many miles on it though, still isn't completely broken in lol. I will be running it in a couple weeks with what should be close to 600hp and a clutch tamer so we will see how it does!.

The funny thing is @Newbomb Turk rowed gears in the car a couple years ago but apparently forgot what clutch I have!

LOL I didn’t forget. I want to see how we do with the Clutch Tamer.

If it holds up to that we are golden.

-
Back