Missing screw can somebody eyeball the proper size?

-

Kipprc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am missing a bolt on my car. I thought the I had the proper size ordered off of Ebay. I didn't. Its supposed to be a 904, I purchased bolts for a 904. Bolts didn't fit. Anybody know what size I need?

20200619_192835.jpg

Come ON!!! (I don't have the loan of Rusty's crystal ball!!!!) How about we start with size that you have that does NOT fit? And are they too big or too small?

Come ON!!! (I don't have the loan of Rusty's crystal ball!!!!) How about we start with size that you have that does NOT fit? And are they too big or too small?

Lol, I wish I knew. I foolishly ordered the bolt off of ebay. Just said 904 transmission bell housing bolts. They are too small. They look big enough, but they can fit or pass through hole with ease.

I’m going with 1/2” and at minimum 7/16. Looks like its not threaded so you’ll need a nut too

I'm thinking 7/16" also. And you're correct, no threads. I've R &R'd mine about a dozen times in the last 6 months!!!

Mine has the bracket that holds both transmission lines. Other than that, not really sure why it's needed.

a 7/16 head is 1/4 thread size , 1/2 hex head is 5/16 thread , ect...... no one call a bolt or screw by its head size its the threads thats the part that threads in . i would say 1/4-20 x 1/2 to 5/8 in length will do , or a valve cover bolt .

Lol, I wish I knew. I foolishly ordered the bolt off of ebay. Just said 904 transmission bell housing bolts. They are too small. They look big enough, but they can fit or pass through hole with ease.

You wish you knew!!! Why can't you measure them?

You wish you knew!!! Why can't you measure them?
I have measured screws before and for whatever reason what I measured turned out to be the wrong size several times. Now I'm gun shy about it and usually defer to what info I can find online. This time it didn't work.

I have measured screws before and for whatever reason what I measured turned out to be the wrong size several times. Now I'm gun shy about it and usually defer to what info I can find online. This time it didn't work.

You need to remedy this. This is part of mechanics 101, week 2, day 3. First thing final bell 9AM. Buy yourself a caliper. Buy yourself a 01" "mike." They are not expensive with all the Chineseoatiized junk available. Also, various fastener shops have plastic "go no go" gauges to fit bolts into and figure out what they are. And you need a thread gauge. I'm 72, I owned my first dial caliper (Sears) in 1970. Lately, I've bought SEVERAL vernier calipers. These are all Sears/ Craftsman, made in Germany, "old stuff' bought used on Egag. There are no gears to strip, and no batteries. I have to use a magnifier to see them.

Bolt and nuts stores use these types of things. This was a very quick search, just for an example

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098JILSW/?tag=fabo03-20

You need a tap and die set. They can be used to identify correct bolt and nut sizes also.

I have one for metric that I have used several times. These were standards. There have been several suggestions in this thread that I am going to follow up on. A standard tap and die will be is number 2 on the list.

Those holes are for engine to trans support bars...looks like youre not using them so you probably don't need them...

that's the hole for the transmission / engine bracket that almost no one re-installs. you can use whatever bolt you want as long as it doesn't fall out. but you can leave it open too if your not putting the bracket back

a 7/16 head is 1/4 thread size , 1/2 hex head is 5/16 thread , ect...... no one call a bolt or screw by its head size its the threads thats the part that threads in . i would say 1/4-20 x 1/2 to 5/8 in length will do , or a valve cover bolt .
Mr. Whitworth might disagree..

Just read this and Wow! At a lost for words!

-
Back