model career my be over

-
Any updates on this? How are you healing up? Well I hope.

It's a long slow road,but getting better. The doc says at my age it will never be as good as new and i won't have full use either, the ulna is almost detached from the wrist bones (meditarsales) i know i butchered that word, and those bones are kinda scattered. They put a regular cast on it and that's when i discovered i'm clostrophobic, yep butchered that word also, so they went back to this split splint (say that twice real fast!
I'm surprised i can do what i can do with this thing on, i take it off once or twice a week carefully and extend my elbow that's frozen in the bent position as long as i have it on.
I still have the regular things in life to deal with, 6 dogs, washing clothes/dishes, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., my GF's MS is getting worse and she can hardly get around or stand for any length of time so it's up to me to keep things going, but we are still breathing and everyday above ground is a bonus!
Thanks for asking Mr. Rust.

Maybe some inspiration for you, maybe not but I’ll add, I used to race supercross on a semi professional level, I shattered my right wrist including the scaphoid (carpal navicular) after a bad crash. The docs said I would never ride at that level again. I was horrified at the thought of not riding and racing. They were sure I would lose function (at least in some way) of my thumb and possibly fingers. Two years of recovery and some physical therapy and I had zero loss of strength or movement. I raced for another 5 years. Still ride to this day. Sometimes the docs give you worst case scenario and it ends much better. Keep your head up and positive thoughts and get healed. Don’t give up something you love because someone else says you “can’t” or “won’t” be able to do it. Best wishes.

Thanke for the encou
Maybe some inspiration for you, maybe not but I’ll add, I used to race supercross on a semi professional level, I shattered my right wrist including the scaphoid (carpal navicular) after a bad crash. The docs said I would never ride at that level again. I was horrified at the thought of not riding and racing. They were sure I would lose function (at least in some way) of my thumb and possibly fingers. Two years of recovery and some physical therapy and I had zero loss of strength or movement. I raced for another 5 years. Still ride to this day. Sometimes the docs give you worst case scenario and it ends much better. Keep your head up and positive thoughts and get healed. Don’t give up something you love because someone else says you “can’t” or “won’t” be able to do it. Best wishes.

Thanks for the encouragement.

At age 50 I broke both my wrists in a workplace accident, the right one broke in the joint, the left just at the end of the radius. I have a plate and 6 screws in the left now, but the right side had external fixators with 2 pins placed in the radius and 2 in the area directly below the index finger, and a couple of rods and some hardware holding it all in place for 10 weeks. Dominant hand is of course my right, and I spent 10 months doing intensive physiotherapy, regained 80 to 90 percent of the strength in both hands, but I did lose some range of motion and gained arthritis.
Keep working on the physiotherapy and strength, I hope that you are successful in your recovery.

It's a long slow road,but getting better. The doc says at my age it will never be as good as new and i won't have full use either, the ulna is almost detached from the wrist bones (meditarsales) i know i butchered that word, and those bones are kinda scattered. They put a regular cast on it and that's when i discovered i'm clostrophobic, yep butchered that word also, so they went back to this split splint (say that twice real fast!
I'm surprised i can do what i can do with this thing on, i take it off once or twice a week carefully and extend my elbow that's frozen in the bent position as long as i have it on.
I still have the regular things in life to deal with, 6 dogs, washing clothes/dishes, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., my GF's MS is getting worse and she can hardly get around or stand for any length of time so it's up to me to keep things going, but we are still breathing and everyday above ground is a bonus!
God bless you and yours, I pray for some relief and expedited healing brother..

Well said!

Thanke for the encou

Thanks for the encouragement.
Same theme, once upon a time in my semi private room with thirty some odd other Marines all pretty banged up. I asked the Doc for an honest assessment, it was not positive. After many hours of PT in a pool and yes you can sweat in a swimming pool. Here I am still active and alive. Like one of the other guys above stated I think the Docs give worst case scenario so anything else is a win. F them, work your nuts off on the therapy stay focused and I bet you will heal up much better than predicted.

They did a nerve block to clean out the bite marks, wouldn't put me under, just said i wasn't a good canidate for surgery (heart).
Thankfully the cultures came back negative for strange infections, spent a week in the hospital on a antibiotic drip, hurt like hell when they pulled the packing out of the bite wounds :)
After all i have been through in my life, i'm absolutely astounded i'm here, two bypasses, an afib storm (defib in my chest went off 19 times, goat a free helo ride to Atlanta, a groin hernia, gall bladder, type 2 diabetic, nd i survived a 17 year marriage to a Korean ! :)
Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words, as of right now i'm amazed at what i can do, but then again you have to do what you have to do, everyday life has to be faced and dealt with.
Thanks again.

Same theme, once upon a time in my semi private room with thirty some odd other Marines all pretty banged up. I asked the Doc for an honest assessment, it was not positive. After many hours of PT in a pool and yes you can sweat in a swimming pool. Here I am still active and alive. Like one of the other guys above stated I think the Docs give worst case scenario so anything else is a win. F them, work your nuts off on the therapy stay focused and I bet you will heal up much better than predicted.

Thanks for doing your duty and sacrificing for our country.

Wow, we will certainly add you and the lady to our prayer list.

Thanks for all the encouragement and best wishes, the wrist is much, much better, I went through about three types of casts and the doc was kinda amazed at how fast the bones regenerated, I even had a new contraption, "bone growth stimulator", didn't want to use it because it generates a magnetic field and I didn't want to chance it with my pacemaker/defib.
Thanks again !

Sounds like you're improving pretty dang good. I'm really glad. Thanks for the update.

That sucks, man but hang in there.

About three weeks ago I sliced the HELL out of my right index finger tip.
It was borderline to need stitches but the ARNP at the urgent care said they don't like to stitch fingertips unless it's absolutely necessary. The first urgent care turned me away because of the location of the injury.

I am just now able to go without some kind of cover.

What sucks is I'm a guitar player and the bottom of "the flap" is right exactly where I hold the pick. I used to have nightmares about this kind of injury when I was a teenager and first started playing.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I will not go down without a fight.

-
Back