Modern A-body glass?

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
Does anyone make custom windshields? I am thinking about the elimination of the gasket and molding if glass was available about 1 1/4" larger all the way around and had the modern wide black tint around the edge to be glued in.

I do like the a bodies without the chrome around the windows. I think it would look pretty good with the modern windshield setup.

a custom windshield would be...probably impossible to get made. I made lots for old vehicles ('50-ish trucks, a '32 Ford coach, like that) but those were plain flat laminate- easy to do. Getting a custom curved windshield? Probably not.
However, if you could find someone with lots of spare time who worked someplace like a PPG (sorry, PGW) warehouse, you could try fitting a bunch of windshields until you found one with a compatible shape (from my experience, they have no way of knowing what would fit just by looking it up in the computer system). Then it could be cut to the exact fit. Not impossible, but tricky. And time-consuming.

edit- oh, and the pinch-weld might have to be adjusted to make the urethane-installation method work..

I have installed quite a few windows on combines and tractors the way 95teetee stated, you will also need to clean the class and the car with water and then rubbing alcohol before you install, find some boards and ratchet straps and tighten the window down after glued and installed.

I have installed quite a few windows on combines and tractors the way 95teetee stated, you will also need to clean the class and the car with water and then rubbing alcohol before you install, find some boards and ratchet straps and tighten the window down after glued and installed.

Your comment misses everything that has been said in the thread so far.

Interesting idea. A buddy had a back glass made for his 66 Vette, that funky curved thing. But it was a while ago.....and it was a ton of $$$

I have researched this modification, camaro and mustang guys have been doing this for some time. instead of using custom glass, they build out the frame a bit to accommodate the difference.

although eventually some one did make a drop in kit (specially sized glass) but i guess you can do that when there are thousands of mustang/camaro guys to buy it.

when googling try "flush mount glass _______________"

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1478676

Why? Seems like a bunch of work for not much return; unless your bored I guess.

There's a photo on this site with that...

I posted a similar thread several weeks ago without a lot of help. I have found a glass shop that has done a lot of Mustang and Camaro's and said it will require adding an extension to the pinch weld. He said he had black molding that can be cut to fit. I will be going out to talk to him in detail when I get to that point. A good starting point is to find a glass shop that specializes in custom rods.

-
Back