modern muscle

-
I had this rare T/A 392 until I sold it in 2020.
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg

I wouldn't argue with you. At the same time, for me it comes down to cost and parking space. Plus, I think it would be cool to do a road trip in an old car if I can be as comfortable as I was in my Challenger.

The Mustang is a good option, even the older ones. I wouldn't be opposed to even as far back as a Foxbody. My struggle is, I just like the Challengers so much better.

The reality is, old or new, Mopar or Ford, they all have their drawbacks. Just have to decide which flaws you can live with.
I like the 03/04 Mach 1’s. They came out when I got my license and Mopar only had the SRT4. I bought the SRT4. But now I want the Mach1!

well my modern muscle is 16 years old now.. only has 13.000 miles on it though.. i use it as a toy, just like we use the dart...

after killing myself on the the dart upgrade in june i'm not sure i'll ever want to build another classic mopar. i totally understand why so many have sold their old cars for modern ones. the dart rides a lot like the mustang now, handles great too. it really turned out exactly how i wanted it to...but man the mustang is just so much more comfortable to drive and still does everything better then the dart.. that being said i'm still planning on taking the dart across country in october and the mustang will be the back up plan. after that who knows what we will want to do with the dart...

everytime i take the mustang out i get a big smile on my face and remember why i wanted it so bad.... i put a CAI and a 93 octane tune in it and even with a 3.31 gear is plenty fast enough for anything i want to do with it and definatley fast enough to get me in trouble..:)

IMG_20230404_195042.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 03/04 Mach 1’s. They came out when I got my license and Mopar only had the SRT4. I bought the SRT4. But now I want the Mach1!
I owned an 03 Mach 1 that made it into a national magazine. It had a Whipple that was made for a 03-04 Cobra. I was one of the first to do the swap.

well my modern muscle is 16 years old now.. only has 13.000 miles on it though.. i use it as a toy, just like we use the dart...

after killing myself on the the dart upgrade in june i'm not sure i'll ever want to build another classic mopar. i totally understand why so many have sold their old cars for modern ones. the dart rides a lot like the mustang now, handles great too. it really turned out exactly how i wanted it to...but man the mustang is just so much more comfortable to drive and still does everything better then the dart.. that being said i'm still planning on taking the dart across country in october and the mustang will be the back up plan. after that who knows what we will want to do with the dart...

everytime i take the mustang out i get a big smile on my face and remember why i wanted it so bad....

View attachment 1716274429
I had an 08 GT for a minute, love that body style. If I could find another one in Legend Lime I’d probably buy it.

It takes a lot of work to keep these classics going, the Mustang is all about oil changes and car washes! I’d love to find something like that.

I had an 08 GT for a minute, love that body style. If I could find another one in Legend Lime I’d probably buy it.

It takes a lot of work to keep these classics going, the Mustang is all about oil changes and car washes! I’d love to find something like that.

i love that green color.. there doesn't seem to be many that color out there... years ago i almost bought one in that color green with a tan conv top and tan int.. still kick myself for not pulling the trigger on that one..

agree.. i only have to tinker with the mustang. not work on it.. i just don't enjoy the "work" i have to constantly do on the dart.. maybe the way its configured now it will be a tinker around with car instead of a work on car.. i'd enjoy it much more that way..

i love that green color.. there doesn't seem to be many that color out there... years ago i almost bought one in that color green with a tan conv top and tan int.. still kick myself for not pulling the trigger on that one..

agree.. i only have to tinker with the mustang. not work on it.. i just don't enjoy the "work" i have to constantly do on the dart.. maybe the way its configured now it will be a tinker around with car instead of a work on car.. i'd enjoy it much more that way..
Such a cool color!

Dudes on here will say it’s an age thing. I’m 36 and I’m dog tired of the amount of work it takes. I’ve got too much **** going on in my personal life to spend hours/days doing a 30 minute job…which always seems to happen to me.

My modern muscle. '21 TRX and '22 Super Stock. Sold the Super Stock a few months ago but now I am regretting it.... lol

TRX and SS.jpg

everytime i take the mustang out i get a big smile on my face and remember why i wanted it so bad....

View attachment 1716274429

You're not helping me any. I have to continually remind myself to keep my head down and push forward on my 5.7 swap instead of just buy a used Challenger.

At the same time, I enjoy my '74 and am always reflecting on how it compares to my R/T. And other than the motor and lack of amenities (AC, power windows, etc.) it does pretty good. I still have to tweak some things, but its a pretty close match for handling and driving. And I am at a point where while I have some projects it is a change the oil and wash it kind of car right now. I need to tweak the suspension so I can get more caster (worse case, new UCA's and an alignment) and I want a radio that turns on without having to screw around with my phone. Other than that, only plan is to drive it a bunch until the '73 is on the road at least initially.

I’ve driven a friends 2020 bullitt mustang with 480hp and a six speed and it was truly brutally fast. Smack your head back into the seat fast. Sounds great too in my opinion, but some seem to disagree. My favorite part of the car though was the brakes. They are insanely good.

If I was in the market that would be my pick. In the meanwhile I’ll stick to my old bag of bolts

My modern muscle. '21 TRX and '22 Super Stock. Sold the Super Stock a few months ago but now I am regretting it.... lol

View attachment 1716274431

You need to build an old school version of your Super Stock. I know you said you want to keep your old school car, old school, but a 6.4/8HP combo in a Duster with AC and cruise would be perfect for driving to a track and racing. Way faster than the 11's you want, comfortable there and back, easy to maintain (oil and gas), and with the hood down it would look old school and could even use a flat hood.

Heck, do a 5.7/8HP instead with a 6.4 cam and intake and you would almost certainly hit your 11's and it would be even less work.

Might even be able to get a trans brake worked into the 8HP like the 1320 and SS have.

You could even load a pair of slick in the truck. Worse case, buy a car with a fold down seat if you need more room than that.

I guess I just think the new motors are the bomb.

Another option would be a milder LA than what you currently have, with EFI, and then add an 8HP to that. Still looks mostly old school under the hood, certain to run your 11's and would cruise comfortably both ways.

You need to build an old school version of your Super Stock. I know you said you want to keep your old school car, old school, but a 6.4/8HP combo in a Duster with AC and cruise would be perfect for driving to a track and racing. Way faster than the 11's you want, comfortable there and back, easy to maintain (oil and gas), and with the hood down it would look old school and could even use a flat hood.

Heck, do a 5.7/8HP instead with a 6.4 cam and intake and you would almost certainly hit your 11's and it would be even less work.

Might even be able to get a trans brake worked into the 8HP like the 1320 and SS have.

You could even load a pair of slick in the truck. Worse case, buy a car with a fold down seat if you need more room than that.

I guess I just think the new motors are the bomb.

Another option would be a milder LA than what you currently have, with EFI, and then add an 8HP to that. Still looks mostly old school under the hood, certain to run your 11's and would cruise comfortably both ways.
Nah, I can take my truck to the track and run 10's if I want. 11's was just a number I threw out while trying to make a point and not a goal. I've never had the desire to put something new in one of my old cars.

Here's a cool video of both of my Modern Muscles running each other at last year's Northwest Nationals. Obviously can't drive 2 vehicles at the same time so I had a friend drive my truck.

The way classics have gone up in price to buy or build can also be a game changer.
Lots of great bargains on 10 year old used modern muscle. Many were used as a hobby
toy, have low mileage and were stored in the winter months.
But only Classics are Classics and maybe it's best to have one of each.

Don't get me wrong, I think swaps are cool.

The trick is integration. Do the swap in a way that it acts like the factory put it there, not like some JC Whitney catalog dump of stuff.

Something like this:

2bd6c0da-1cbe-4ce1-a71e-d86786ff0ad8-jpeg.jpg

c83f9969-1fa5-429d-8f56-2851d536c022-jpeg.jpg

13282bd1-a228-4514-afe2-f7bce4c0aaac-jpeg.jpg

593090b6-50fd-4154-9b4f-27ce5864ed45-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Like a Chrysler 300?
Sure, but
how long do those 3.5s last?
Probably longer than the 2.7 (got one sittin in the yard), which I still find amusing they put that tiny engine in the 300 boat.

I say get a challenger, if mpg isn't a concern. I'd like to have a challenger myself, but I have a hard time trading in my hybrid that has same power as an R/T but gets 35mpg instead of 23. If I could just put the challenger body over my frame......

Probably longer than the 2.7 (got one sittin in the yard), which I still find amusing they put that tiny engine in the 300 boat.

Just me, but I wouldn't class either the 3.5 or the better 3.6 as a "muscle car". The 3.6 makes for a fine car, in my opinion, but not a muscle car. The 2.7 isn't even an also ran to me.

Just me, but I wouldn't class either the 3.5 or the better 3.6 as a "muscle car". The 3.6 makes for a fine car, in my opinion, but not a muscle car. The 2.7 isn't even an also ran to me.
Totally agree, v6 cars are commuter cars, as they always were. No one looked at a ‘70 Challenger with a slant six as a muscle car.

I’ve got the 3.6 in my Pacifica and it’s a little rocket ship. But that motor sounds like *** when the LX guys put intakes/exhaust on them.

The trick is integration. Do the swap in a way that it acts like the factory put it there, not like some JC Whitney catalog dump of stuff.

Something like this:

View attachment 1716274450

View attachment 1716274451

View attachment 1716274446

View attachment 1716274447

Not sure why the first 2 pictures keep disappearing. I've fixed it once.

Here is the original post with pictures.

-
Back