Modern style headlights

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The halogen headlights in my Signet are legal as well as the fact that they transport the parking lights and directional signals to where others can see them. I find other person's driving abilities who do not observe or look at one's bumper or below it when driving and so these headlights have built in parking lights as well as directional signals to be extremely helpful in keeping my car as accident free as it can. Another thing I should say is that my electrical system was changed 25 years ago to a Ron Francis and uses those little plastic fuses. As far as any super duper electrical knowledge here, I was totally unaware of anyone from all the electrical damaged posts I've read.

And BTW, the lamps are replaceable in my Signet's headlights

The halogen headlights in my Signet are legal as well as the fact that they transport the parking lights and directional signals to where others can see them

Sorry, no, you've been misinformed. Those 7" lights with the built-in turn signal do not produce an effective, safe, or legal high beam, low beam, or turn signal function. The parking light function's OK.

And OBTW, reality check: nobody has to follow my advice or read my posts. Most of the countries where FABO is read are more or less free. As for what lights to use: facts are facts and they don't bend. Those who want to maximize their seeing and safety will pick one of the many options that go along with the facts.

Bulk wrap is bulk wrap, too. A lot of people make (and spend) a lot of money selling (and buying) a lot of bulk wrap. »shrug«

iv had halos for like 5 years in my duster and they were awesome!!!!!!!!! i cracked one and it took on water so i replaced them with black housings and put 10000k hid hi/lo beam and they rock!!! hope this helps

Attachments

• duster12.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 297
  • duster blk.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 293
  • buster blk2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 305
NIGHTHAWKES it is!!! :blob:

one more serious question for you Dan
what is your opinion of the Bosch H4 SAE M76 DOT motorcycle bulb and reflector if used on my Barracuda?
I have one on my Harley and it was a huge improvement over the sealed beam that was in it, I picked up another one from a shop going out of business and thought it could work as well on the car (in a pair of course with relays)
:coffee2::burnout:

NIGHTHAWKES it is!!! :blob:

what is your opinion of the Bosch H4 SAE M76 DOT motorcycle bulb and reflector if used on my Barracuda?
I have one on my Harley and it was a huge improvement over the sealed beam that was in it, I picked up another one from a shop going out of business and thought it could work as well on the car (in a pair of course with relays)
:coffee2::burnout:

53/4" or 7"? I need to get a new bucket/light for my bike and am just wondering...

what is your opinion of the Bosch H4 SAE M76 DOT motorcycle bulb and reflector

Easily available for cheap money (because Harley-Davidson dumped a warehouse worth of surplus units about five years ago), but they're marginally adequate for car/truck usage. The motorcycle headlamp performance standard is very lax, and those Bosch motorcycle lamps are closer to the bottom than to the top of the allowable performance range. They're better than the mountain of Chinese garbage on the market (halos, phony projectors, "HID kits", blue bulbs, "diamond Euro", etc.), but that's not saying much. If you need decent cheap headlamps, you're better off with the H6024NH GE Night Hawk sealed beams.

It's an error to think an H4 headlamp is necessarily a good one. There are lots of poor H4 headlamps on the market. A lot of them "feel" like good headlamps because they throw a whack of light on the road surface right close to the car (or motorcycle), but that foreground light is essentially useless at speeds over 25 mph.

because i said so thats why

If that's the way you wanna look at it, sure.

Me, I can't imagine doing something like throwing poo at Leanna for her amazing knowledge of powder coating, for example.

But that's just me.
redbeard.gif

Like everything, there is a right way and a wrong way. Do your homework and listen to people in the know like Dan and you can have a nice upgrade. That said, not all modern headlights are what I would consider good or even fair. My Mazdaspeed6 has OEM HID D2S Projectors and they plain suck. I had an SVT Focus and OEM HID projectors and they were awesome. I'm currently changing the projectors in my MS6 to improve output. The bulb and power are only part of the equation and do no good if you don't have the correct optics to place the light.

If that's the way you wanna look at it, sure.

Me, I can't imagine doing something like throwing poo at Leanna for her amazing knowledge of powder coating, for example.

But that's just me.
redbeard.gif

Well, considering there's a thread today about what color it might have been, maybe somebody IS throwing poo Dan :-D

Sorry, no, you've been misinformed. Those 3-chamber lights with the built-in turn signal do not produce an effective, safe, or legal high beam, low beam, or turn signal function. The parking light function's OK.

Sure Dan, whatever you say... They light up the street and according to you, I must be imagining this.

Have you ever used them? Not that your answer is going to brighten my night

BTW these are not sealed headlights

(Much of) this thread is ridiculous. Headlights need to look cool?????????

Look, I'm all about customizing cars, but headlights are a safety device, people. They exist to do a job. Those who worry more about how they look than how they perform need to find another hobby. Don't endanger others on the road with your vanity.

Look, I'm all about customizing cars, but headlights are a safety device, people. They exist to do a job. Those who worry more about how they look than how they perform need to find another hobby. Don't endanger others on the road with your vanity.

And don't pound your chest when the facts do not align with whatever fantasy land you are living in.....

Sure Dan, whatever you say... They light up the street

Not the way it needs to be lit up, they don't. Headlamp beams are a whole lot more complicated than spots or floods. The right amounts of light need to go to the right places or you just plain aren't safe. Same goes for the rest of the requirements your lights don't meet. Those built-in turn signals you think are so much safer? Inadequate three ways: too small, too dim, too close to the part of the lamp providing what you think passes for the headlamp function. This is a matter of fact, not guess or preference or opinion. You may very well like them, but that doesn't mean they're good enough.

BTW these are not sealed headlights

I know. I'm very familiar with them. Sorry that bugs you.

+1. They're life safety devices, not fashion accessories. There's a giant range of headlamp appearance and performance available at a giant range of cost within the bounds of what's effective and safe…using lamps that (objectively) aren't effective or safe is a chowderheaded, selfish move.

I've learned alot from Dan's pointless ramblings. Just kidding Dan. After reading about forty six of Dan's very detailed information filled posts which he took the time to share, I more thoroughly observe the behavior of people's headlights and tail lights.. What I see is that you can spot a junk head light design in many ways and the two ways I hate them the most is when they are behind me or headed my way, because they friggin blind you with fuzzy light and usually are attached to a guaranteed idiot's jived up POS car. Out here in the land of no one cares about nothing many many cars have these junk lights on them and they are the most worthless forms of indication and illumination next to a flickering match in the wind. All these chrome tinted tail lights where you cant tell if they are turning or stopping, head lights that glare and bloom purple dirty light rather than just lighting the road. Between drivers that are stupid and the pathetic junk purported as high tech lights (which everyone slathers their vehicles with), no wonder we all pay a fortune for insurance. Rant over.

The only thing that bugs me is how wrong you are in relation to how bright these are. You may know some things and have a good following on this comedy channel but your facts aren't real unless of course you have used every part you seem to have an opinion of in all the posts I've read where you voiced your opinion.

I'm no purist in any sense and I don't judge people without first meeting them or things without first hooking them up.

And I am not a 2nd class anything..

I have noticed a craze recently with the 4wd truck owners converting their headlamps over to HIDs, especially the over wattage blue ones. What really is bad is that they don't consider those that have to drive TOWARDS their vehicle. All they consider is the cool blue (or white) factor of the bulbs and that brighter is better! I see the point that Dan is making. Just because it seems brighter doesn't make it better or safer. I would hate to think that anyone would be happy to find out that their "cool" equipment caused a major accident or death because the person (maybe my grandmother, maybe my 16 year old new driver, etc.) was blinded by improper equipment. Heck, my vision is perfect and I get blinded on a regular bases by the aftermarket junk! Oh, before I get flamed for my comments, my headlamps are proper halogen sealed beams on relays with properly adjusted Hella foglamps (with the correct size bulbs) I only use when it is foggy.

The only thing that bugs me is how wrong you are in relation to how bright these are. You may know some things and have a good following on this comedy channel but your facts aren't real unless of course you have used every part you seem to have an opinion of in all the posts I've read where you voiced your opinion.

I'm no purist in any sense and I don't judge people without first meeting them or things without first hooking them up.

Do you know what Dan does for a living or his background?

Clearly you don't.

The only thing that bugs me is how wrong you are in relation to how bright these are

How bright you feel they are has nothing to do with how effectively they do the complicated job a headlamp needs to do. We humans (all of us, no matter how much we do or don't know about headlamps or carburetors or strawberry farming) are lousy judges of how well we can see. Our subjective impression (feeling) of how well we can see is usually far out of line with how well or poorly we can actually, measurably see. Get that? How well we see and how well we think we see are two different things. How safe we are on the road at night is directly related to how well we can actually, really, objectively, measurably see, and is inversely related to how well we think/feel we can see (because when we feel we can see better than we actually can, we over-drive our headlamp beam reach by a greater margin...without any conscious thought about it).

You may know some things

More than you do, about this subject -- yes, I do. Sorry that bugs you. I'm sure there's stuff you know more about than I do; that doesn't bug me. Do you talk back to your doctor and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about? How 'bout your lawyer, do you tell him his facts aren't real because they don't match your guesses? How 'bout any contractors you might have hired; do you follow them around telling them how to do their jobs because even though you know little enough about it that you had to hire someone instead of doing it yourself, you still know better than they do? I bet you probably don't do any of those things. This is no different.

your facts aren't real

Yeah, they really are. If you want to continue throwing a tantrum because facts get in the way of your fantasy, that's your choice. Facts are facts, even if you don't happen to know them. Same goes for laws and regulations; they don't stop existing or say what you want 'em to say or mean what you want 'em to mean just because you don't happen to know what they actually say and mean.

The grownup thing, when you happen to encounter someone who knows more than you about something, is to take the opportunity to learn. That's what I try to do. I don't always succeed, because my mouth is a couple sizes too big, but I try.

I don't judge people without first meeting them

It's difficult for me not to negatively judge your behaviour in this thread, since that's all I have to go on.

Fine. Who said you are?

oh man! can't we all just get along?... Lets talk about tail lights! I just saw these sweet led jobs...
I do think the safety card is a bit overplayed. More people have probably died in 100mph stuck accelerator Prius'. Just look at the range of OEM headlight and taillight setups over the last 50 years. All with the blessings of the wizards of smart at the department of transportation. None of those are either to dim or to bright, they are all just right.
Have a blast putting a 500hp motor on drum brakes and a 40 year old suspension with a bungee for a throttle return, but for the love of Pete don't touch your perfectly designed 40 year old headlight system!
The other topic that seems to bring out the extremists is gutting the cat on a newer car... wait! I just realized maybe they think we are actually gutting a cat. That explains a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back