Modern vs. Old School

-

valiantdave

Reaction score
Sibling Rivalry..lol This is my sister`s car(SRT-4) and mine.I gotta tell you guys if you see wanna these on the streets ,do not take it lightly.they are really quick ,but i still wouldn`t give up my Dart
103790401.gif

The today cars are great for new age tech stuff and high pony 4 bangers and they go like mad.Do not be surprized that a little str-4 goes flying by you at some piont.They have well over 200HP,and no weight to them,so the power to weight ratio is insane.Yes the old stuff is still king,but they are catching up quickly.And ask them how fast thier car would be if they had to push 3600lbs with a 4 cylinder 200hp motor.Mrmopartech

I have new cars too and their technology is totally amazing. But give me "Old School" anytime. Anyone can buy new technology but to Owner Build and maintain the pre-1971 classic American iron takes fortitude and dedication! Being a recent lottery winner would help a lot too:) (no dis meant to the 1972 to 1976 car owners!) I have to say, that the 06 Vette and the new Mustangs would be high on my drive-test list!!!! :) Rat

The BMW M3 is top of my list for modern technology.
3.3L Inline 6 cylinder
330+HP
Individual throttle bodies(yep six of them)
Redline at like 9000 can't remember
One bad mutha!

Not to mention the upcoming BMW M6
500+HP V10, small though. It's like 4.8L or something like that. Redlines at 8,250RPM

I want one!...*drool*

...but I wouldn't trade my Demon for one!

-Alex

Yeah, the BMW M Series is great. I learnd BMW Mechanic and I'm wrenching all the time on em (privat). A friend of close mine drives M-BMWs since the E30 Serie (end of 80s built). Great car, no weight, lots a ponies, high revin 4 banger. Now he has an luxory M 5, 6 Banger, 360HP on the wheels. You know we have the Autobahn. No need for Racetrack :D .... the car is runnin over 200mph... with a fridge in the backseat...:D

m5.jpg

Mrmopartech said:
Yes the old stuff is still king,but they are catching up quickly.And ask them how fast thier car would be if they had to push 3600lbs with a 4 cylinder 200hp motor.Mrmopartech

Bone stock to bone stock there is very few of the "old stuff" that can hold a candle to the modern 4cyl turbo car. I have a book at home that is all reprints of magazine road tests of Barracuda's from 64-74. Stock even the big block E-bodies were only low 14 second cars. That SRT-4 will run 13's.

I have had at least one turbo mopar continuously since 1985. A Shelby GLHS with less than $1000 worth of upgrades can be made to run 10 second quarters. A friend of mine had a turbo 4cyl mini van that ran a best of 12.99 in the quarter. He used to love driving to the drags with his family in the mini-van then go out and embrasss most every other car there on street tire night.

The SRT-4 is under 3000lbs and certainly has an advantage over a B-body but the advantage is minimal with an A-body. My current turbo mopar is an 03 turbo PT Cruiser, it weights in around 3200lbs, more than my Barracuda. Though not as fast as the SRT-4 it still goes like stink.

The other thing to remember is that 220 HP the SRT-4 and PT have would be over 300 (more than any factory 340) if it was measured the same way that horsepower was measured up through 72.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old stuff. The unrefined brut torque, the noise and attention is great, it's just that as delivered from the show room the modern performance cars out accelerate, out brake and out handle the cars as delivered from the show room in the muscel car era.

I like the styling/nostalga/looks of the old cars but would MUCH prefer the newer technology. Thats one of the main reasons I almost got a Buick GN back when I was looking...only reason I got the Dart Sport is it was cheaper($4500 compared to around $9000-10,000 for the GN) But I know for a absolute fact that the GN would get driven MUCH more than the Dart Sport does. I mean the Dart Sport is a weekend cruiser id be driving that GN pretty much well all the time in the Summer except if its raining.......I have not even started the Dart sport in almost 2 weeks now. Id love to put on a easily installed and reliable Fuel Injection system on the Dart Sport but expense and hit and miss tuning and technilogy are holding me back...mostly the $$$$ part...I HATE Carbs!

To me the grille says it all. Look at the front of the beastie then look at the smile on the neon ...err SRT.
Is it amazing what they can do ...yes
Do I care ...no not really
Listen to the sound and look at the lines.
I doubt I would ever wreck trying to look at a 4 cyclinder car.

The new mustang and vettes are as close as you can get to American muscle nowadays. And the new GTO is FAST but ummm new without a shade of past.
Course that's just my opinion.

My sons are 19 and 17 and this is their cars at the track. Yes we have Tim's SRT-4 running 12.80's but 19 year old Ron Jr's Dart is still faster at 11.60's ! But the SRT-4 got wrecked so we are looking for another one. Ron

72490631.jpg

My 21 year old son has a Audi S4 thats run 12.8's at Infineon. It's a 2.7 liter v6 with twin turbos. He has a special chip in it and it just screams. But he is still willing to help the old man with the BBD.

Bought the wife an `04 VW GTI. It's a 1.8 turbo w/ 5 spd. auto. I ran a 15.3 @ 90 mph at Englishtown during a VW show. With a chip, a cat-back exhaust, and a cold air intake I hear 13's are possible. Plus it handles like a slot car with ice cold air and satelite radio....

But then again, the B`cuda makes the ground shake, birds fly outta trees, amd children run for momma.....:evil2:

I work for a Ford Dealership and drove the new "Mach1" and the new 05' Mustang GT'S and a few other of Ford's quick line up. The Mustangs at 305hp are fast but to me its such a different feeling of fast then my Duster. Just the feeling of everything being a mechanical input/output and my foot being directly connected to the 4bbl rather then a TPS makes it seem even fast and more fun somehow. When I take corner with some speed on the Duster and have to get both hands on my manual steerign and watch wiht my manual brakes its jsut better somehow.

And as tempting as it'd been somedays to jsut buy a car that fires up and runs great anytime I want I dont think I'd be happy in the long run. And besides A new Mustang is common to see and has a cool factor when modified but EVERYONE always give the Duster a second look when I get on the gas.

71Duster said:
I work for a Ford Dealership and drove the new "Mach1" and the new 05' Mustang GT'S and a few other of Ford's quick line up. .....

I work for Nissan and I get to drive 350Z's fairly often. I'm always inpressed with their performance, but your right, it's a "different" type of performance. In the 350Z you just aim and go. In my Barracuda it's more like aim, go, and PRAY you can steer or stop if something goes horribley wrong. :silent:

Must be a generational thing. The hopped up 4 bangers may be faster, but the flatulent buzz just doesn't have the same effect for me as a nice V8 rumble!

Jay

I have to agree with Jay. The sound alone reminds me a chainsaw. Let alone the fact that every ricer I see has that 1/4 keg sized muffler with rear stero speakers just as big. There is no subsitute for the feeling of a 4 barrel, and the sound as it gasps for more air. John

Untitled 2.jpg

Well, I drive an SRT-4 as a daily driver, and I have my two 69 Chevy's for weekends, nice days, cruises, etc. I bought the SRT because it's a relatively cheap car that is fun to drive during the week. It's just as fast, if not faster, than my Corvette, but in a different way. Like the others said, the turbo whine is a different feeling than the sound the big block makes when the secondaries open. The big block makes that sound at any RPM too, the SRT doesn't have the low end grunt. I like them both, but for different reasons. Driving the old school stuff every day just isn't practical for me though. I drive 35 miles each way, and the car has to perform every time. Between the way I drive and the cost of gas, the money supply would quickly runout.

Of course, our project Dart, with it's modern 5.7L HEMI, could be made to do both well. We're going drag racing with it, but I'm sure someone here is going to drop one with fuel injection in, and have a nice muscle car that can be reliably driven every day with decent fuel economy. I think that is the best answer. Put the modern technology in a classis car that has the look you like.

Ken

BB69 said:
Put the modern technology in a classis car that has the look you like.
That's my approach. The 416 stroker motor going into my Dart will have computer controlled electronic fuel injection and ignition. Coupled with an overdrive transmission, it should be as economical as today's performance V8 cars. And it should be just as drivable around town, but hopefully a lot quicker than today's cars. I also plan to have all the creature comforts too.

i got to drive a srt4 recently kinda sucked the shift knob kept slipping off and the boost wouldnt stay 14psi(stock) it got as low as 6 psi :wack: it was weird i believe when i drove it was at 8 i wasnt that impressed with it i though it would do better, i hope to build my cuda to be fast, i mean blow his doors off, but i still respect anything made by chrysler...well the new charger is an excuse :cwm10:

I definately wouldnt mind a SRT-4 to tool around it. Nice quick cars for sure. But its no old Mopar. I drive my 'Cuda EVERY day, and i do not want anything newer to drive really. Just more my style i guess. More rugged i guess lol

i want to see one of those turds pull the front wheels.
then i'll be impressed.
torque steer does'nt excite me.
new cars remind me of rat turds,
pointy on both ends,they all look the same.
the only thing from the big three to give me hope
is the possibility of the new challenger and the mustang.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
I drive my 'Cuda EVERY day, and i do not want anything newer to drive really. Just more my style i guess. More rugged i guess lol
I agree with Goody. I drive my Challenger to work every day and even though it still needs alot of work, it's a blast to drive.

Gooday:

I'll take the nice mellow rumble sound of a 340 or 440 Mopar blowing out of 2 1/2 inch pipes any day over a rice rocket 4 banger impersonating a power sound by blowing exhaust out of a 1 inch exhaust pipe with a 10 inch diameter chrome fart can welded onto it!
:drinkers: :thumblef:

You know i am from the old school days love the looks & sound and the V8 power. I grow up in the 60's An 70's . you can look at a car and tell what it is . I love the old school cars. But said that the new cars are sweet also take the old school car an update them to todays tech and you have got a very sweet ride. I mean at some time we all have to get in to todays way of thing. if we like it or not . but iam still trying to my an old school car run like a new one lots of money an time an that is something we all are get short on is time.........................

-
Back