Modifying auto column for manual floor shift

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
There's a couple of good threads here on FABO showing how to modify the steering column collars to eliminate the shift indicator and the snout of the shift lever. I'm currently doing that on mine. Beats paying $160 for new collars! :)

When reassembling, I'd like to leave out parts that no longer have any function. I will probably keep the steering wheel ignition lock but there's no need for the Park interlock, or shift detent plate.The outer jacket is already shortened back to the firewall for header clearance and the shift arm is gone. Do I even need the inner tube, and the plastic bushings that align it, or can I get rid of them?

I did some more reading. Interesting that the useful threads on this subject are nearly all on FABO ;)
The shift tube and plastic bushings are non-essential. I'll just have to secure the shift collar somehow. I also learned that an "ER-16" bearing ($6.25 shipped) can be used to support the bottom of the steering shaft if needed, with no mods, but since I have a Flaming River extender + u-joint (column is for PS, I have a manual box) I probably won't even need the bearing.
It was quite a job removing all that excess aluminum for the "PRND21" quadrant and the shifter snout. Got it all sanded down, only as smooth as I felt like doing, bead-blasted the collars, and rattle-canned them with primer and Krylon Indoor/Outdoor flat black. Tomorrow it's all going back together (I hope):rolleyes:

My only suggestion is that rattle can paint is too soft for something like that which will possibly be touched a lot.
I tired non-automotive paints on dashes and columns and you can hit them with a fingernail and see marks in the surface.
If possible use an automotive paint.
In fact ,I wish I had clear coated as well instead of just using just polyurethane.

Thanks for the advice. I doubt I'll be touching the actual collars much if at all - even the key has the large chrome "wings".

I do have some leftover polyurethane (Minwax spray can) from redoing bathroom molding. Can I put that over the spray paint once it's dried?

Any chance you can take some pics of the re assembly? I did this and still need to put it back together, but didn't take great pics of the distributor assembly.

SEM trim black rattle can paint works very well for steering columns and dash frames. Dries rock hard and flows very well for a rattle can.

Any chance you can take some pics of the re assembly? I did this and still need to put it back together, but didn't take great pics of the distributor assembly.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics... but "assembly is the reverse of disassembly" :)
Did you actually mean "distributor"? Those are a different kind of fun.

Seriously though, everything has to go back together in exactly the reverse order it came apart. Don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

There are good pics here though:
1970s Dodge truck steering column fix

And I assume you've already looked at the FABO articles ;)
Automatic to Manual Steering Column Conversion "HOW TO"
Modifying Auto on the Column Steering Collars - NO Welding Required!!

Haha darn auto correct. I have a FSM, so I should be OK, bit sometimes I do better with real pictures. Lol. Thanks, I have seen those threads.

Holy old thread bump, but I'm in the middle of tearing my column apart to take the shifter tube out. How did you end up securing the shifter collar to the column?

-
Back