Moog offset uca bushings

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Hey guys as some of you know I'm rebuilding my front suspension and it's been brought to my attention I should use the k7103 offset bushings here is my question for a car that is gonna be used as a weekend warrior less than 5000 miles or so a year is it really necessary? I understand the alignment issue with the camber but is positive camber really all that important for a weekend warrior? I have already purchased my standard bushings. Next question I spend the extra 60 bucks and buy the moogs and use them will my standard cam bolts work or do I have to rebuy them also? I have already bought everthing I need! If I go with the moogs what else am I gonna have to rebuy?

Last edited:
Actually, the offset bushings allow you to get more positive caster, not camber. With the standard bushings, it can be hard to get much positive caster (I've heard only about 1 - 1.5 degrees). If you go with the offset bushings, you can get more positive caster (3-5 degrees) and help the car track better, and straighten up better coming out of corners. With the old bias ply tires, the factory set-ups didn't have as much caster because they were more concerned with ease of steering than how it tracked. More caster makes it a little harder to steer, but it will track much better. You could probably get away with factory replacement bushings, but I'd suggest setting it up with the most caster you can get.

When you ask about your "Standard offset bolts", are you talking about the bolts with the eccentric washers on them for adjusting the alignment. If so, those should work with either set of bushings. When I recently rebuilt my front end, I went with standard components on everything but the UCA bushings, which I replaced with the Moog offset K7103 you mentioned (to get more positive caster). I have mine set up a little more aggressive than I probably would have needed to, but it handles well and I'm not changing it now. Attached is my alignment settings with the offset bushings installed. I have more negative camber and positive caster than I probably needed, but to their defense, I told them I wanted .5 to 1 degree of negative camber and as much caster as they could get me. Here is where ended up.

Final Alignment settings.jpg

Actually, the offset bushings allow you to get more positive caster, not camber. With the standard bushings, it can be hard to get much positive caster (I've heard only about 1 - 1.5 degrees). If you go with the offset bushings, you can get more positive caster (3-5 degrees) and help the car track better, and straighten up better coming out of corners. With the old bias ply tires, the factory set-ups didn't have as much caster because they were more concerned with ease of steering than how it tracked. More caster makes it a little harder to steer, but it will track much better. You could probably get away with factory replacement bushings, but I'd su:BangHead::BangHead:ggest setting it up with the most caster you can get.

When you ask about your "Standard offset bolts", are you talking about the bolts with the eccentric washers on them for adjusting the alignment. If so, those should work with either set of bushings. When I recently rebuilt my front end, I went with standard components on everything but the UCA bushings, which I replaced with the Moog offset K7103 you mentioned (to get more positive caster). I have mine set up a little more aggressive than I probably would have needed to, but it handles well and I'm not changing it now. Attached is my alignment settings with the offset bushings installed. I have more negative camber and positive caster than I probably needed, but to their defense, I told them I wanted .5 to 1 degree of negative camber and as much caster as they could get me. Here is where ended up.

View attachment 1715199269
Yes caster not camber that is what i meant thanks for pointing that out!
Thanks for your input if I can use the cam bolts I may as well go ahead and order them if I'm gonna do it I may as well do it right! What's 50 more bucks lol i was trying to stay under 1000 bucks for my budget well right now I'm at 1050 and haven't even started on the engine or paint lol

Careful when you put them in. Don't follow the instructions in the box. They are wrong. The package tells to put them both in pointing the same way. You don't want to do that. You want to position them so the bolt sleeve is out towards the balljoint on the back (which moves the control arm towards the frame) and in towards the frame on the front (moving the control arm out towards the balljoint).

The point is to pull the back of the control arm in towards the frame and the front out towards the wheel, which moves the upper balljoint towards the back of the car, increasing positive caster.

I reordered my bushings and got the moog offsets this time around cost a little more but hopefully it will save me some money in the long run in tires lol I was able to sell the original ones I bought on eBay so it worked out.

-
Back