Mopar Gods forgiveness

-

GHOST RUSTERS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello and good morning FABO. I wanted to get some feedback on a particular topic in reviving my dads 65 barracuda.

Feel free to roast here. “Gentle but firm” is allowed as well haha

Keeping this build as close as possible to the condition in which my dad personalized and enjoyed his barracuda as a young man, means that certain “personal touches” may end up with “unfavorable reactions” to the passionate enthusiasts and Mopar Gods…

My dad, again a young man and doing his best as a working man in the respectable years of budget hot rodding, put his touches to the car with painting the engine bay black, had Goodyear Polyglas GT tires in the rear, and traction bars… he had it painted CHEAPLY metal flake blue which quickly peeled and faded away giving it an exposed, what I would call “rat rod” or “barn survivor” patina… and he liked the look of it, so does the family and I, and kept it as is up to the very last day he drove it in 1989…

My question is this: will I or the car be shunned and or dismissed by this community and or local car show/ cruises for example, for having kept my dads personal touches alive and as tribute to HIS car because those touches may be frowned upon or unacceptable?

I personally feel, as is, that it’s the TRUTH. The car tells her story by her appearance and by the history involved in going from a brand new shiny car to the neighbors, to my dads father as a daily driver, to my dads mother after their divorce, then to my father as his coming of age freedom machine and then with me finding and rescuing the car years after being “lost” ….

I know that I don’t have to seek acceptance here or cry for all the answers, but I do respect each and everyone’s experiences and efforts in this community. I’ll get off my soap box now and prepare for a public hanging haha. But I wanted to get real feedback from my brothers and sisters here in FABO regarding the black engine bay, keeping the patina paint, outfitting it again with a tire similar to the Goodyear Polyglas, and keeping the traction bars.

For whatever it’s worth. I’m planning on surprising my dad with a special touch to the car. I’m having either my mom or my daughter do a gold leaf lettering of his moms name “Eileen” (the cars name we hear when near it) on the glovebox as tribute to his time with her in the car.

Your car, your style. Drive it and enjoy it.
We really like pictures, post some of the car when you get a chance. Welcome aboard!

Here’s a few pictures. The black and white is of my dad the week he purchased the car from his mom for $1. The blue tarp is the day I found it after 10+ years of searching. On the trailer headed home, cleaned her windows at the gas station for old times sake. My dad, in 2018, in the white T-shirt seeing the car for the first time since 1989. And the car now in the garage awaiting air in her lungs and blood in her veins. Thanks for looking!

IMG_8978.jpeg

IMG_8974.jpeg

IMG_8975.jpeg

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8977.jpeg

Hello and good morning FABO. I wanted to get some feedback on a particular topic in reviving my dads 65 barracuda.

Feel free to roast here. “Gentle but firm” is allowed as well haha

Keeping this build as close as possible to the condition in which my dad personalized and enjoyed his barracuda as a young man, means that certain “personal touches” may end up with “unfavorable reactions” to the passionate enthusiasts and Mopar Gods…

My dad, again a young man and doing his best as a working man in the respectable years of budget hot rodding, put his touches to the car with painting the engine bay black, had Goodyear Polyglas GT tires in the rear, and traction bars… he had it painted CHEAPLY metal flake blue which quickly peeled and faded away giving it an exposed, what I would call “rat rod” or “barn survivor” patina… and he liked the look of it, so does the family and I, and kept it as is up to the very last day he drove it in 1989…

My question is this: will I or the car be shunned and or dismissed by this community and or local car show/ cruises for example, for having kept my dads personal touches alive and as tribute to HIS car because those touches may be frowned upon or unacceptable?

I personally feel, as is, that it’s the TRUTH. The car tells her story by her appearance and by the history involved in going from a brand new shiny car to the neighbors, to my dads father as a daily driver, to my dads mother after their divorce, then to my father as his coming of age freedom machine and then with me finding and rescuing the car years after being “lost” ….

I know that I don’t have to seek acceptance here or cry for all the answers, but I do respect each and everyone’s experiences and efforts in this community. I’ll get off my soap box now and prepare for a public hanging haha. But I wanted to get real feedback from my brothers and sisters here in FABO regarding the black engine bay, keeping the patina paint, outfitting it again with a tire similar to the Goodyear Polyglas, and keeping the traction bars.

For whatever it’s worth. I’m planning on surprising my dad with a special touch to the car. I’m having either my mom or my daughter do a gold leaf lettering of his moms name “Eileen” (the cars name we hear when near it) on the glovebox as tribute to his time with her in the car.
I like unrestored originals. If the over restored guys don't like the look of the black engine compartment or the added accessories, too bad for them. Those cars are only original once and yours tells a wonderful story. Oh you'll get comments and remarks at shows but I can guarantee that your Barracuda will attract a lot of attention.

Here’s a few pictures. The black and white is of my dad the week he purchased the car from his mom for $1. The blue tarp is the day I found it after 10+ years of searching. On the trailer headed home, cleaned her windows at the gas station for old times sake. My dad, in 2018, in the white T-shirt seeing the car for the first time since 1989. And the car now in the garage awaiting air in her lungs and blood in her veins. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1716290097

View attachment 1716290098

View attachment 1716290099

View attachment 1716290101

View attachment 1716290102
Love it. I would just freshen your 273 and make it safe to drive and enjoy it as is. I love that patina. One reason I never painted my Dart. It tells a story.

Last edited:
"will I or the car be shunned and or dismissed by this community and or local car show"
If so find a different show/community, the car is awesome!

My cars are in primer with some paint poking through. They get plenty of positive attention, and I don't care what people nonif they don't like them. They are my cars, and I'm only worried about what I like. Have fun with the car the way it looks.

You an tell your dad was having flashbacks of the memories he made with that car in the picture you posted.

I am all for leaving it as is, such as it is. Set the defibrillator for about 300 mega joules and bring it back to life.

I am not a car show guy, but you could take it to shows, and have a nice printed sign stating this was your dads car back in the day, and this is how it has survived all the ages!

Yea Mopar guys will always notice a non color engine bay, but seeing a true survivor is always a treat to 99% of us Mopar nuts!

Like said, the only person you need to satisfy is YOU ( and maybe your wife/family!) Like said, make it safe and enjoy it!

My cars are in primer with some paint poking through. They get plenty of positive attention, and I don't care what people nonif they don't like them. They are my cars, and I'm only worried about what I like. Have fun with the car the way it looks.

You a tell your dad was having flashbacks of the memories he made with that car in the picture you posted.
That is

You an tell your dad was having flashbacks of the memories he made with that car in the picture you posted.
That’s very absolutely true. The day we surprised him with it he couldn’t believe it… he didn’t cry or anything but he had a moment or peace and resolution I think… he and his mom and his dad and his childhood and now my family and I are all connected by the car and her story. So we stood back and let him just take it all in. What you see in the picture is him placing his hands on the car and saying a “hello, old friend” in a manner of sorts. His dad once asked him “what is so special about this car? Why are you doing all of this stuff to it?” And my dad’s response “it’s not the car, it’s who I am through the car” and man, those are some heavy words.

That’s very absolutely true. The day we surprised him with it he couldn’t believe it… he didn’t cry or anything but he had a moment or peace and resolution I think… he and his mom and his dad and his childhood and now my family and I are all connected by the car and her story. So we stood back and let him just take it all in. What you see in the picture is him placing his hands on the car and saying a “hello, old friend” in a manner of sorts. His dad once asked him “what is so special about this car? Why are you doing all of this stuff to it?” And my dad’s response “it’s not the car, it’s who I am through the car” and man, those are some heavy words.
Yes heavy words but meaningful words.
I have owned many cars over the many decades, and some I have had just had a super strong connection to. I can't explain why, just is.

My dads last car was a 64 Ford Ranchero. It is long gone, but at age of 76 I have a deep desire to have one, as it would be the closest thing to sitting next to him I could have.

Neat car and neat story! Tell me how and where you found it after 10 yrs of looking. It didnt look too bad if it was in N Dakota all that time. As far as the paint. Im NOT a numbers/factory restored kind of guy, and things like painted engine bays or similar mods dont bother me but I do like my cars to look good- as in paint. Does not have to be the latest clear coated job w/perfectly smooth panels etc, but a normal looking paint job for me. Again, that is for ME. I dont care at all what other car guys may think and you shouldnt either! So if you wanted to leave it in its found condition thats just fine. George

upgrade the brakes and suspension. throw the poly glass tires in the trash and get some modern rubber. leave the paint and body alone, including the engine bay. get the drive train sorted and reliable. then drive it till the wheels fall off.

leave the slapper bars at your own risk, or brace yourself for the patience needed in explaining them to every yahoo who wanders up and says: U cAiN't rUn tRaCti0n bArS oN a MOPAR!!

Who Cares!
I take my ratty car to shows and even the Rich Guys and Purists go over and look at it.
Any reaction is a reaction and if it makes You feel good that's all that matters!

20240720_201852.jpg

Last edited:
screw what others think about it.. if its a cool old car with a story close to you is all that matters.. i'd prefer to see the engine bay body color but if black is what your dad did then leave it.. get it running good, make it safe and go enjoy the damn thing.. too many idiot mopar guys worry too much about everyone else but themselves.

Last edited:
If you worry about what others think, just sell the car now.

This right here ^^^ is all you need to say.

This is GREAT! I cannot thank all of you enough. Joining this community has probably been the most productive thing I’ve done thus far. It doesn’t NEED to be said, but it doesn’t hurt either, in saying thank you ALL here at FABO so much for the support, motivation, education and philosophy! There’s something here for everyone!

My dad used to tell me that at any point in life there is a basic formula to the equation of “happiness” and that is (time*money*energy) and how badly you want and or need something and what you’re willing to do for it. (Not always in the form of THINGS mind you)

Having said all of that. As RustyRatRod said “if you worry about what others think” can be a crippling point in the equation. (And NO it’s not for sale! Haha) But I do enjoy and respect my piers feedback and or commentary here.
I’m excited to continue to share the progress with PICTURES of course and to seek out help and knowledge.

(Btw, today after work we plan on getting her into the driveway for a little bit of clean up on the k member area for some new bushings/ suspension essentials while the engine bay is clean and clear. Any experience or advice on a suspension kit? Then onto brakes. And my daughter is practicing her hand at gold leaf for the lettering on the glove box.)

There will always be some a hole that will piss in your cornflakes. Ignore them, because they do not have one thing, the ownership of that car. I am in complete agreement with the other members who have said it's your car, it has a unique and irreplaceable history that gives it value far beyond monetary.
Get it roadworthy and safe, then get it out and burn some rubber and fuel. I am willing to bet that you will have a really tough time removing the smiles from the faces of your family.

This is GREAT! I cannot thank all of you enough. Joining this community has probably been the most productive thing I’ve done thus far. It doesn’t NEED to be said, but it doesn’t hurt either, in saying thank you ALL here at FABO so much for the support, motivation, education and philosophy! There’s something here for everyone!

My dad used to tell me that at any point in life there is a basic formula to the equation of “happiness” and that is (time*money*energy) and how badly you want and or need something and what you’re willing to do for it. (Not always in the form of THINGS mind you)

Having said all of that. As RustyRatRod said “if you worry about what others think” can be a crippling point in the equation. (And NO it’s not for sale! Haha) But I do enjoy and respect my piers feedback and or commentary here.
I’m excited to continue to share the progress with PICTURES of course and to seek out help and knowledge.

(Btw, today after work we plan on getting her into the driveway for a little bit of clean up on the k member area for some new bushings/ suspension essentials while the engine bay is clean and clear. Any experience or advice on a suspension kit? Then onto brakes. And my daughter is practicing her hand at gold leaf for the lettering on the glove box.)
Bushings on the A arm suspension pieces are difficult to remove/install. I think you can get the tool that helps as a loaner at the parts house. I also would add front disc brakes- you can get them from 1973 and up older Mopars A bodies that work well- and add the safer dual reservoir master cylinder.

-
Back