Mopar Gods forgiveness

-
I ain't never owned a car with good paint on it and don't plan to. I don't want to be scared of dirt and gravel roads. Rather drive things

Neat car and neat story! Tell me how and where you found it after 10 yrs of looking. It didnt look too bad if it was in N Dakota all that time. As far as the paint. Im NOT a numbers/factory restored kind of guy, and things like painted engine bays or similar mods dont bother me but I do like my cars to look good- as in paint. Does not have to be the latest clear coated job w/perfectly smooth panels etc, but a normal looking paint job for me. Again, that is for ME. I dont care at all what other car guys may think and you shouldnt either! So if you wanted to leave it in its found condition thats just fine. George
  • WARNING: this is the long and short of “The fish that got away” If you haven’t followed my previous posts, ill try and catch you up. I’m a babbler, but ill try to keep it stimulating and brief, but respectable. I’m apologizing ahead of time if this is too lengthy… you may need some coffee or another form of stimulant to get through it… you may even need to nap a while… enjoy!

PART 1 “The smell of chrome”

• My dad, Vince, 6-7 years old, is sitting on the front steps on his house when he hears a roar. The roaring is “distinguishable” and gets louder as a car approaches. His neighbors drive into their driveway across the street in the 1965 Barracuda. My dad is in awe and stares at the cars lines and in his words, he could “smell the chrome”
  • The neighbors are, as my dad describes, pretty rough on their equipment and are locally famous for “going through vehicles like bicycles” the lawn is a graveyard of dead and or dying cars they’ve condemned.
  • The neighbors abuse the poor little barracuda for a few years and finally destroy the transmission after pulling and launching various fishing boats with it. The senior neighbor is heard cussing and barking at the car as he slams the hood on it and places a for sale sign up. My grandpa, Jack, inquires about the car and buys it for $600.
  • The transmission is repaired and the car is the family go-getter for the next several years. My dad recalls being excited when his mom would drive because she would take corners too fast and he would slide from one side of the bench to the other. On short family outings, they would visit the coast and he would lean back and enjoy the night drive back home staring at the stars through the giant window. (Pittsburgh Plate Glass, right?)
  • My dad is 10. His parents are getting divorced but keeping it civil. My dads sisters, 3 of them, fight over who gets the barracuda, they are of age and driving. My grandpa Jack steps in and gives the car to my dads mom, Eileen, in that she needs and deserves the car. My dad goes with his mom, but still sees his dad from to time.
  • My dad and his mom are living is “very violent and dangerous” trailer parks throughout California as his mom works any and all jobs that she can to keep them fed and warm. They spend HOURS driving in the barracuda and talking with one another. My described this time as something that he wished he could forget. They were both sad, scared and hungry.
  • But he also says that this is when he learned how to man-up and be pro-active for his mom. He says the drives in the barracuda were therapeutic and healthy for them both.
    1. My dad is in high school now and working as well. He is an aspiring pilot, paying for his own flying lessons and hopeful to one day join Search and Rescue. He relies on bus routes and friends for rides to and from and when all else fails, his bicycle.
    2. On the day of his drivers license test, his mom calls him to wish him well and says “Vin, if you do well today, your father and I have a surprise for you, but if you don’t, that’s ok too. Call me when youre done.”
    3. *THIS is a BIG moment* my dad passes his test and calls his mom. He waits for her in the DMV parking lot. Shortly after she arrives in the barracuda (keep in mind the history and significance of the car at this point, at that the car is a sacred, mythical fish that he believes he would NEVER have an opportunity in owning.) his mom congratulates him and says “since you did well on your test and youre doing so well with school, your father and I would like to sell you my car, the barracuda, would that be ok?”
    4. My dad is now the proud owner of his moms 1965 Barracuda, and in his words to his dad “its not the car, its who I am through the car”
    5. Lets all be fair and fill in the blanks here… your 18ish, you have some income, youre in southern California and you have a 1965 Barracuda… I encourage everyone here reading this to enjoy letting your imagination run wild at this point and time in life…
    6. **side note, WARNING: to our more sensitive community members… truth be told, years later after I found the car and was cleaning it out for the FIRST time, I did find a pack of condoms and with my mom and dad sitting in lawn chairs 10ft away, I laughed and shouted “what the &*$% is this?!” and showed them the condoms. My mom looked dead at my dad and said “huh! You and I never did anything in that car!” the guilt maybe is what buckled my dad or maybe just lack of self control as he shouted back “I never had sex with Becky in that car! I don’t know WHAT you think happened!” (my moms name is NOT Becky, haha)**
    7. Theres no way I could possibly paint a picture of the “adventures” that my dad had with the barracuda in those pivotal years. So lets move on. Although, he did get a phone call from his dad once asking “how’s the old barracuda doin?” my dad, not knowing that this was a loaded question said “fine.” His dad then laid into him and that my dad had blown right through a stoplight earlier that morning at “break neck, red-line” speeds and cut his dad off at the light… not knowing any of this, he took a pretty good lashing about “responsible driving manners”
    8. **This is not the best of moments** my grandpa Jack remarries and inherits two other boys along with his new bride.
    9. My dad, again young and maybe still hurt by the affects of the divorce, does NOT mesh well with his new stepmom or her sons. The sons are older than my dad and after the niceties wear off… its 1970s construction site testosterone and no one holds back…
    10. Now, to be fair. After getting to know my dad as a young man through his recollection and other sources, he was a very difficult and angry person. His stepbrothers, in the same formula, found that amusing to see jus what it takes to make him go and in his stepmothers eyes, her children could do no wrong.
    11. This formula goes on for many years. My dad would get “beat downs” regularly for whatever the other deemed fit. And when I say things were ugly, I mean ugly, think jerry Springer mid 90s material, but ill leave that to you discretion as I’m trying to stay on topic of the barracuda. (these stepbrothers even tricked my dad into eating brownies loaded with “the devils lettuce” in an attempt to get him so messed up that he wouldn’t be able to pass his finals that week… which almost worked, he had to call the school and explain what happened and reschedule… my dad is pretty straight edge has NEVER got into any kind of drugs. He was pissed and caught them both later on, one-on-one and let them have it. 6’4” and 200+lbs, I wouldn’t have wanted to be on the other end of that)
    12. My dad would get kicked out of the house regularly by his stepmother, and sleep in the back of the barracuda with the seat folded down… ya know, how they advertised is for surfboards or lumber haha… as his dad was constantly away for work, leaving my dad to fend for himself in pretty dire living conditions, but he still had to barracuda to tinker with and find himself happiness in working and driving the car. Being the black engine bay, the Polyglas tires, the cheapy paint job and the tractions bars for example.
    13. My dads a working man and the barracuda is getting tired, naturally. Were in the 80s now and shes been swimming the depths for quite a while. Sadly, one day, while driving he loses power and she comes to a stop. She had blown a rod through the block and was down and out. My dad calls for a tow and gets to a local Mopar shop in Pleasanton, Ca.
    14. The engine is toasted and replaced with a rebuilt block .040 over and .020 on the rods and mains… this puts us roughly somewhere in the mid 1980s… he drives it for a few years more and finally one day, the transmission catches up again… but this time, she just cant take anymore…
    15. My dad gets the Barrucuda towed to his dads property and deems that the transmission is just too great of a challenge to take on at the time… he needs transportation NOW.
    16. He buys a 1969 Camaro, I know yuk, from a coworker, gets a new job at Friedman Bros in Santa Rosa and meets my mom there… he’s driving the Camaro. He’s banned from the property by the evil stepmother and her two disciples … the barracuda disappears into the depths of the unknown, lost? Sold? Crushed? We don’t know… and my dad never returns for the fish that had swam all she could swim… *que intro to Guns N Roses “November Rain”

• PART 2: more to come after work, if anyone’s interested….

Last edited:
Bushings on the A arm suspension pieces are difficult to remove/install. I think you can get the tool that helps as a loaner at the parts house. I also would add front disc brakes- you can get them from 1973 and up older Mopars A bodies that work well- and add the safer dual reservoir master cylinder.
Yes! Agreed! I was told that the ideal setup might be drums all around if I can’t find a disc set, and to go with the 1968 barracuda reservoir and brake lines

• WARNING: this is the long and short of “The fish that got away” If you haven’t followed my previous posts, ill try and catch you up. I’m a babbler, but ill try to keep it stimulating and brief, but respectable. I’m apologizing ahead of time if this is too lengthy… you may need some coffee or another form of stimulant to get through it… you may even need to nap a while… enjoy!

• My dad, Vince, 6-7 years old, is sitting on the front steps on his house when he hears a roar. The roaring is “distinguishable” and gets louder as a car approaches. His neighbors drive into their driveway across the street in the 1965 Barracuda. My dad is in awe and stares at the cars lines and in his words, he could “smell the chrome”
  • The neighbors are, as my dad describes, pretty rough on their equipment and are locally famous for “going through vehicles like bicycles” the lawn is a graveyard of dead and or dying cars they’ve condemned.
  • The neighbors abuse the poor little barracuda for a few years and finally destroy the transmission after pulling and launching various fishing boats with it. The senior neighbor is heard cussing and barking at the car as he slams the hood on it and places a for sale sign up. My grandpa, Jack, inquires about the car and buys it for $600.
  • The transmission is repaired and the car is the family go-getter for the next several years. My dad recalls being excited when his mom would drive because she would take corners too fast and he would slide from one side of the bench to the other. On short family outings, they would visit the coast and he would lean back and enjoy the night drive back home staring at the stars through the giant window. (Pittsburgh Plate Glass, right?)
  • My dad is 10. His parents are getting divorced but keeping it civil. My dads sisters, 3 of them, fight over who gets the barracuda, they are of age and driving. My grandpa Jack steps in and gives the car to my dads mom, Eileen, in that she needs and deserves the car. My dad goes with his mom, but still sees his dad from to time.
  • My dad and his mom are living is “very violent and dangerous” trailer parks throughout California as his mom works any and all jobs that she can to keep them fed and warm. They spend HOURS driving in the barracuda and talking with one another. My described this time as something that he wished he could forget. They were both sad, scared and hungry.
  • But he also says that this is when he learned how to man-up and be pro-active for his mom. He says the drives in the barracuda were therapeutic and healthy for them both.
    1. My dad is in high school now and working as well. He is an aspiring pilot, paying for his own flying lessons and hopeful to one day join Search and Rescue. He relies on bus routes and friends for rides to and from and when all else fails, his bicycle.
    2. On the day of his drivers license test, his mom calls him to wish him well and says “Vin, if you do well today, your father and I have a surprise for you, but if you don’t, that’s ok too. Call me when youre done.”
    3. *THIS is a BIG moment* my dad passes his test and calls his mom. He waits for her in the DMV parking lot. Shortly after she arrives in the barracuda (keep in mind the history and significance of the car at this point, at that the car is a sacred, mythical fish that he believes he would NEVER have an opportunity in owning.) his mom congratulates him and says “since you did well on your test and youre doing so well with school, your father and I would like to sell you my car, the barracuda, would that be ok?”
    4. My dad is now the proud owner of his moms 1965 Barracuda, and in his words to his dad “its not the car, its who I am through the car”
    5. Lets all be fair and fill in the blanks here… your 18ish, you have some income, youre in southern California and you have a 1965 Barracuda… I encourage everyone here reading this to enjoy letting your imagination run wild at this point and time in life…
    6. **side note, WARNING: to our more sensitive community members… truth be told, years later after I found the car and was cleaning it out for the FIRST time, I did find a pack of condoms and with my mom and dad sitting in lawn chairs 10ft away, I laughed and shouted “what the &*$% is this?!” and showed them the condoms. My mom looked dead at my dad and said “huh! You and I never did anything in that car!” the guilt maybe is what buckled my dad or maybe just lack of self control as he shouted back “I never had sex with Becky in that car! I don’t know WHAT you think happened!” (my moms name is NOT Becky, haha)**
    7. Theres no way I could possibly paint a picture of the “adventures” that my dad had with the barracuda in those pivotal years. So lets move on. Although, he did get a phone call from his dad once asking “how’s the old barracuda doin?” my dad, not knowing that this was a loaded question said “fine.” His dad then laid into him and that my dad had blown right through a stoplight earlier that morning at “break neck, red-line” speeds and cut his dad off at the light… not knowing any of this, he took a pretty good lashing about “responsible driving manners”
    8. **This is not the best of moments** my grandpa Jack remarries and inherits two other boys along with his new bride.
    9. My dad, again young and maybe still hurt by the affects of the divorce, does NOT mesh well with his new stepmom or her sons. The sons are older than my dad and after the niceties wear off… its 1970s construction site testosterone and no one holds back…
    10. Now, to be fair. After getting to know my dad as a young man through his recollection and other sources, he was a very difficult and angry person. His stepbrothers, in the same formula, found that amusing to see jus what it takes to make him go and in his stepmothers eyes, her children could do no wrong.
    11. This formula goes on for many years. My dad would get “beat downs” regularly for whatever the other deemed fit. And when I say things were ugly, I mean ugly, think jerry Springer mid 90s material, but ill leave that to you discretion as I’m trying to stay on topic of the barracuda. (these stepbrothers even tricked my dad into eating brownies loaded with “the devils lettuce” in an attempt to get him so messed up that he wouldn’t be able to pass his finals that week… which almost worked, he had to call the school and explain what happened and reschedule… my dad is pretty straight edge has NEVER got into any kind of drugs. He was pissed and caught them both later on, one-on-one and let them have it. 6’4” and 200+lbs, I wouldn’t have wanted to be on the other end of that)
    12. My dad would get kicked out of the house regularly by his stepmother, and sleep in the back of the barracuda with the seat folded down… ya know, how they advertised is for surfboards or lumber haha… as his dad was constantly away for work, leaving my dad to fend for himself in pretty dire living conditions, but he still had to barracuda to tinker with and find himself happiness in working and driving the car. Being the black engine bay, the Polyglas tires, the cheapy paint job and the tractions bars for example.
    13. My dads a working man and the barracuda is getting tired, naturally. Were in the 80s now and shes been swimming the depths for quite a while. Sadly, one day, while driving he loses power and she comes to a stop. She had blown a rod through the block and was down and out. My dad calls for a tow and gets to a local Mopar shop in Pleasanton, Ca.
    14. The engine is toasted and replaced with a rebuilt block .040 over and .020 on the rods and mains… this puts us roughly somewhere in the mid 1980s… he drives it for a few years more and finally one day, the transmission catches up again… but this time, she just cant take anymore…
    15. My dad gets the Barrucuda towed to his dads property and deems that the transmission is just too great of a challenge to take on at the time… he needs transportation NOW.
    16. He buys a 1969 Camaro, I know yuk, from a coworker, gets a new job at Friedman Bros in Santa Rosa and meets my mom there… he’s driving the Camaro. He’s banned from the property by the evil stepmother and her two disciples … the barracuda disappears into the depths of the unknown, lost? Sold? Crushed? We don’t know… and my dad never returns for the fish that had swam all she could swim… *que intro to Guns N Roses “November Rain”

That's a nice piece of writing. Thanks for sharing.
Catch your breath, and on to part 2.

Great story and writing. Thanks again for sharing a lot of you and your families life. I look forward to page 2~~!!

If someone poo poos your engine bay paint down the line (and they will), don’t even respond to that aspect of their comment.

If they have a comment of value, only respond to that. Ignore comments without value as much as it hurts to not address others assholery.

I have deleted more of my comments before posting them than I have posted.

It’s just not worth engaging.

Cool car man!

If and when, someone comes up with any negative remark, I would simply respond, "this is how my dad did it 60 years ago and I respect what he did, and thus why it is how it is today!"

If and when, someone comes up with any negative remark, I would simply respond, "this is how my dad did it 60 years ago and I respect what he did, and thus why it is how it is today!"
Testify! That’s a very kind and direct response and I appreciate that! Thanks!

If someone poo poos your engine bay paint down the line (and they will), don’t even respond to that aspect of their comment.

If they have a comment of value, only respond to that. Ignore comments without value as much as it hurts to not address others assholery.

I have deleted more of my comments before posting them than I have posted.

It’s just not worth engaging.

Cool car man!
I've never understood Mopar guys pissin all over their own brethren. It's stupid. People should be able to do their own cars the way they want.

Hey FABO. Nothing too special to celebrate but for the first time we’re making some progress! Got her out of her winter slumber hail protection kit and into the driveway for a spa day complete with all interior removed, vacuuming some of the “flaky orange protective coating” from the dealership aka rust! And a wash later in the evening and asking any and all spiders, bees, rodents and any other wildlife to please exit the vehicle. Keeping it within boundaries as I still need to maintain time and a energy as a father and husband but man it felt GOOOD just to work on her a bit! Thanks for looking!

IMG_9020.jpeg

IMG_9021.jpeg

IMG_9023.jpeg

IMG_9028.jpeg

IMG_9017.jpeg

IMG_9029.jpeg

IMG_9018.jpeg

IMG_9019.jpeg

IMG_9033.png

IMG_9034.png

Amazing what a bath, sweeping out rat poop, (killing mold here in SE Tx!), 3 buckets of dirt dabber nests, all throwing out all the dead critters, snake skins, etc.. like you said.... it is amazing!!!!!

Then the first trip around the block (across the cow pasture?) !!!! Amazing feeling. It never gets old!

Thanks for sharing!!

You didnt say where the car was parked for 30 yrs? or I missed it, how you FOUND it, and where you took it! CURIOUS GEORGE in NC/ALABAMA

Hey FABO. Nothing too special to celebrate but for the first time we’re making some progress! Got her out of her winter slumber hail protection kit and into the driveway for a spa day complete with all interior removed, vacuuming some of the “flaky orange protective coating” from the dealership aka rust! And a wash later in the evening and asking any and all spiders, bees, rodents and any other wildlife to please exit the vehicle. Keeping it within boundaries as I still need to maintain time and a energy as a father and husband but man it felt GOOOD just to work on her a bit! Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1716290665

View attachment 1716290666

View attachment 1716290667

View attachment 1716290669

View attachment 1716290670

View attachment 1716290671

View attachment 1716290672

View attachment 1716290673

View attachment 1716290674

View attachment 1716290675
ANd those wheels are perfect! Watch out, probably left hand threads on the drivers side.

You didnt say where the car was parked for 30 yrs? or I missed it, how you FOUND it, and where you took it! CURIOUS GEORGE in NC/ALABAMA
I know I know I’m awful at committing! Haha no worries, PART 2 is coming I promise and it will explain the hows, when’s, and where’s! I’ll try and get to it tonight for the exciting conclusion!

**PART 2**

FISHING FOR DADS BARRACUDA AND FINALLY SETTING THE HOOK!

WARNING: this is loooong! 50 sections! Read at your own risk… cancel any plans, put your phone on airplane mode and find a snack…

1. The year is 1985 and it’s my birthday! Hooray! My mom and dad were married a year earlier.
  2. When we last left our fearless hero, my dad, he was banned from the property and the barracuda was never to be seen again. But not because he didn’t WANT to come back for the car, mind you.
  3. the “evil stepmother” and her two handsome boys, who could do no wrong, threatened my dad with legal action, or worse, if he ever came back to the house.
  4. He continues on with life raising me and enjoying new chapters in his life with the Camaro and balancing out husbandry… all the while wondering how he could go back and rescue the barracuda from her wrongful imprisonment, as well as his dads prized fishing boat! (I apologize, I left out crucial information that my dad and his father were commercial fisherman through this youth and teens, on and off. His dad’s boat was just as prized as his mom’s barracuda.)
  5. The year is 1988 and my dad’s father, Jack passes away. My dad develops serious anger issues and loses touch with his mom as there is bickering between his sisters and his mom. Jacks passing makes things downright SICK between he and the “evil stepmother”… things get legal and disgusting over Jacks belongings and very, very awful things are said and done… Separating himself from the drama and developing a hostile mentality in dealing with his father’s passing and still suffering from the divorce… he finally can’t take it anymore and results to drastic measures in plotting out the recovery of his dads boat and the barracuda…
  6. THIS is MY first encounter with the Barracuda… the year is 1989… I’m four.
  7. My dad hops in his truck and, for reasons still unknown to any of us, takes ME with him! He drives 2 hours away to the property, backs right up to his dad’s fishing boat and starts hooking up. Btw… it’s midnight and he’s not supposed to be there… his stepmom comes out with her sons and it all hits the fan… meanwhile I’m hanging out in the pickup at 4 years old probably hearing what can only be imagined as a scene from “The Warriors” and enjoying my ninja turtles stickers… I really don’t know…
  8. ID rather not discuss the details of that night. It’ll do nobody any good. But here’s the end result… my dad hooks up boat, dispatches of the sons (no one was permanently harmed) and he and his stepmom say the MOST vulgar and fowl things a person can say… she calls the police, he tells her that he’ll be long gone before they ever arrive, true, she threatens to send her sons after him, he responds with “I’m looking forward to it” (I know, I know… tough guy, haha) and it ends with this… “this is MY dads boat and he gave it to ME! Not YOU! You have no right and I’m taking the MFer! Oh and by the way, I’m coming back for my Barracuda so don’t even think about touching it!”
  9. That was the last time that my dad would see his car until 2018 when I found and recovered the car( we’re getting there I promise!)
  10. The barracuda WAS there that night .He DID see it and he was coming back for it. A side note, when he recalls now of that night, the barracuda looked like it was set up on cinder blocks and the wheels/ tires were removed. He believed that her boys had “sabotaged” the barracuda so that it could not be moved easily.
  11. Let’s do a speed run to get to what everyone wants to know… how did I finally set the hook and catch the elusive fish?
  12. a worthy tribute to what became MY obsession … since I was probably 10 or so, every Christmas or birthday when asked what I wanted, I would say “I want dad’s barracuda!” Keep in mind that my dad would tell me these legendary stories and the lore about his car and for years and years, more and more details would come out and it became a mythical beast with unknown whereabouts… but what was once cute and innocent commentary and inquiring about my dads car soon started to rub people the wrong way, particularly my mom and eventually, even my dad *gasp*
  13. Here we go let’s speed this up. I develop a big interest in car culture. Started with my dads barracuda stories obviously and grew from there, hot august nights in Reno, car shows and tinkering on “things”
  14. I get through highschool and start into the working world in my uncles chainsaw shop and get my feet wet learning mechanics basics. I’ve worked construction, paving, towing, heavy equipment and so on, finally landing as a garage mechanic and working for a great man who became a father figure as far as guidance and keeping me straight.
  15. Roughly in 2008, During my time as a garage mechanic I enjoyed working on the 50s, 60s and 70s cars the most. On and off through the years I would dig into my dad to give me clues or any information about where the barracuda might be. He would NEVER tell me the property address where it last was and claims to have “forgotten” the location… (this was to protect me)
  16. THIS is how it starts and ends for me. All with a phone call. I’m with a wonderful girl, later to become my wife. We’re eating lunch and after years of asking and begging my mom and dad to help me find the barracuda, my mom calls me. She says that she found the stepmothers phone number and agrees to share it with me ONLY if I agree to let the barracuda go if the car is no longer around. Young and excited I agree to her terms. I call the stepmother. She answers and I screw up from the get go.
  17. After a few minutes of phony niceties I mention that I’m interested in finding my dad’s car and for the next 10 minutes I took the verbal ***-whoopin she would have gave my dad had he ever showed back up. It consisted of her reminding me what a POS my dad was, that she had no idea how I got her number, she only met me 3 or 4 times as a kid and was furious I even called, it ended with her telling me “your grandpas dead. I don’t want anything to do with you or your family and don’t call again. Oh and as far as your dad’s car goes I can’t remember if I sold it or crushed the Fn thing. Goodbye.”
  18. Yikes…
  19. I called my mom and dad and let them know what a wondering sweet woman his stepmother was… my dad is furious but more than anything, hurt. He apologizes to
  20. me relentlessly and said that this is why he never wanted to share the location or information in seeking out the car. He knew that she would take out a lifetime of pain and hurt out on me and so I took my dad’s hit and that was it. He begged me to let it go, to accept that the car was gone and all we had now were the memories and that was enough. He begged me to forgive him for having put the legend in my head but to spare my mom anymore agony in the stress I developed in obsessing over it. (Keep in mind I’ve annoyed my mom and dad year after year about finding my dad’s car.)
  21. I crumbled like a styrofoam cup after that. I was broken and the car got away… she snapped the line and swam off once again…
  22. For the next 9-10 years… I’ve reached out to DMV, sheriffs, the court system and even local tow companies looking for any kind of hint in finding the car maybe on paperwork or by the license plate number… or even if anyone had ever seen one similar to my dads description of the car… sickening, I know. I even went to the district Attourneys to claim and try to prove that the car was last registered to my DAD and that it would legally still belong to him… all dead ends without a friggin VIN number…
  23. Christmas time 2017. I had started to accept that maybe my dad was right… maybe it was all just a story now and the car was not meant to be found. Painful, but my obsession was distracting in certain ways and even my wife started to think it might be unhealthy.
  24. Christmas Eve my mom calls me. She can’t take it anymore and says been hiding some unfortunate information from me and that I deserve to know what happened ONLY if I promise to NEVER mention my dads car to her again…
  25. A few years prior, my mom and dad get a Christmas card from the stepmother. It says in so many words that she was agitated that they had shared her number with me and that I had called. She reiterated that Jack was dead and that she had zero interest in having anything to do with any of us and that we were not family. Charming right?
  26. What more could I do? I had done all I could do, right? My mom and dad needed peace and I needed to grow up and move on. And so I did. And it was awful. No details needed here but I had a pretty bad breakdown letting go… it felt like a family member had died…
  27. READY?! You made it! We’re finally here! Let’s catch this Bad Fish once and for all!
  28. !!!April 2018!!!Unknown to me, my mom and her girlfriend take it upon themselves to drive to the property, with my dad’s blessing, to finally see if the car is or is not there to bring us all a final answer… they scout the area as not to be seen, what a mom huh?! And there in the overgrown grass, under a tattered blue tarp is my dad’s 1965 Plymouth BARRACUDA!!!! YEEESSS!!!
  29. I get the phone call and jump up and down and thank my mom profusely. I’m ready to explode! After all these years and all the unknown the barracuda is still alive! I am beyond control and am starting to develop devious plans in GETTING that car by any means necessary. I’m gonna steal it. I’m gonna buy it. I’m gonna pick it up with a helicopter and fly it outa there!
  30. My dad, an intelligent and wise man now, stops me. We have a very long talk about how this might go and that the “evil stepmother” could still be in the picture and reminds me of her words to us. He asks me to wait, to turn off my excitement and absorb myself. I respectfully do so.
  31. April 29th, 2018… A few weeks after relaxing and coming to terms on what my dad meant in pursuing the barracuda for the right reasons. Almost spiritually at this point. I’m in the backyard with my wife and our two little girls… the “wind” blows… and my wife and I both, without saying a word perk up, look at each other and I ask her “did you feel that?” She responds with “you’re going to go get your dad’s car today, aren’t you?” My skin crawls recalling that moment… I swear I could hear the car whispering “come get me” … laugh all you want but I can’t explain it and don’t want to question the magic…
  32. I hop in my truck and drive 3 hours to the property. The ENTIRE time I wrote a speech in my head and prepared myself for any and all variations how this might go… I talked out loud how I would react and try to make this all work out in rescuing the car…
  33. I drove up to the gate and park strategically if I need to get the heck outa there quickly…
  34. I can see the barracuda peaking at me from under her tattered tarp as I walk to the front door… we don’t know each-other but she knows we’re connected somehow through my dad… I do my best not to show my deck of cards and try to ignore her…
  35. I walk up the steps. Knock on the door. Nothing. I keep looking back over my shoulder at the car… no longer interest in stealing it or doing anything foul… a new sense of calmness is on me now thinking of my dads words…
  36. I can hear scrambling or rustling inside the house… I hear a cabinet or a door creek and I’m thinking “buckshot” … “run!” I’m thinking all the horrible things that the stepmother, my grandmother mind you, had said to me… how clear she made it that my dad and I were NOT welcome here… I started to panic, I turned to head down the steps, but it was too late…
  37. There at the bottom of the steps stood a tiny, thin, 83 year old woman with curly gray hair, giant substitute teacher glasses and a pink tie dye shirt with kittens on it… my grandmother, (no names, in respect)
  38. “Hello, can I help you?” She says in the kindest most mousy voice I’ve ever heard… before I can even mutter a word she looks me over and says “oh… I know you. You’re Vince’s son…” I FREEZE and expect the cops to be on their way soon while she decides which one of my limbs I won’t be needing anymore… but, I’ve NEVER been so proud and so thankful in being wrong.
  39. “Yes. I am. Is it ok that I’m here or should I leave?” … “oh no no, you’re fine. I always knew one day you’d show up, haha” … she shuffles over, hugs me, looks me over and says “boy you ARE a big one huh? Just like your dad, your grandpa was tall too.”
  40. THIS is what I really found and rescued. THIS is the treasure that we all were able to enjoy. I spent the next 4 hours sitting on the tailgate of the “evil stepmothers” truck , 3’ away from the barracuda which I had completely forgotten about… and we talked about EVERYTHING. And holy cow was my dad an A-HOLE (as a young man)
  41. I’ll spare you the drama but as we all know, you can’t read a book skipping every other page… and so it goes… she filled me in on her side of the story. The “hows” and “whys” between her, my dad, and her son’s. I asked her why it was ok for me to be there and if she had any recollection about what she had said to me all those years ago… she laughed it off in saying she was probably at the casino and had a drink or two when I had called… as if it had never happened… she even apologized about being so ugly to my mom with the Christmas card…. She asked how my parents were doing and wanted to know all about my life… all is forgiven and she says “no one wants to grow old and die angry”
  42. My dad’s car is cool and legendary. But how about undoing ages of bad blood, doing some yard work and gaining a badass grandma that enjoys beer and cusses like a foreman?
  43. After making peace with one another about to part ways. I notice that her yard looks like the filming location for Jurassic Park. She tells me how she, at 83, does all of her own yard work… 1/4 acre nonetheless… she weed whips everything because her mower is broken…
  44. I hear the barracuda whisper to me again… “come get me” … and “luck” is when preparation meets opportunity…
  45. I offer to come back on the weekends to help her with all the yard work. She folds, cries and says “you’d really do that for me? I’d don’t think I could offer to pay you very much…” … and as naturally and as organically as my dad had explained it to me in being patient… I asked, “would you be willing to sell me my dads car?” … she laughs and says “oh sure, it’s right over there, if anybody deserves it, it belongs to you…”
  46. I came back for many weekends after that and I did her yard work for her with a good friend/ coworker who offered to assist. We had a few beers, repaired her riding mower, sat and chatted spent hours looking through her photo albums and hearings stories from her glory days. Truly, when I say this, some of the most incredible and memorable moments of my life that I’ll take to grave with me.
  47. Sunday, may 13th, 2018… yep… Mother’s Day… (how fitting… this was my dads moms car for the majority of its life, for whatever that’s worth) the barracudas tarp is removed and she sees daylight for the first time since 1991… (there’s some loss of facts here… my dad claims to have not seen the car since the “fight night” in 1989… my grandmother claims they DID drive the car for a short time even with the busted transmission, no reverse… then finally parking it and leaving it to sit…
  48. We put some “wind” in the tires… ask all of the critters to leave and begin winching her up out of the grass and onto the trailer… goes smooth and my grandma even offers to help by turning the wheel to keep her true…
  49. She gives me hugs and kisses and is genuinely happy for the story to have come full circle to me… I end up paying her $1,100 a number we came up with to be fair for some of the repairs the car had cost her in the little time she drove it… to be honest… I’m happy there was monetary transaction instead of just being given away… somehow I felt a connection between the $1 my dad paid to his mom for it at the DMV (I forgot that VERY critical part of the story I apologize) and the $1,100 I paid my grandma for it… make it right ya know?
  50. We got the car home, invited the whole family over, my mom and my other grandma were on cloud 9 at how special this was going to be for my dad. He did not know I had already brought the car home so when they drove up my mom said he just got quiet and seemed stoic… he walked up to her, pulled the car cover off and placed his hands on the roof… I shooed everyone away so that he could have his moment… and to this day, he has never told me exactly what was “said” between them…. But I like to believe he spoke to his mom through the car maybe… or maybe just a peaceful and therapeutic “hello, old friend” I really don’t know and it’s not important… (after a few hours of mechanic magic, we even got her to turn over and run and my dads reaction was all I’ll ever need, everything else is a bonus from this day on… he hugged me and said “thank you so much for finding her and bringing her home.” I absolutely did not ever even for a second cry… pshhh… nope, not me. I hugged him back and said “I love you dad. I’m so sorry it took so long. Everything’s ok now with grandma now too, you guys should talk”
  51. Heres what IS important. To this day, I talk to my grandma twice a month maybe more. We check in on each other and have a genuine, healthy relationship. She’s fiery and I love it. She has forgiven my dad and they have spoken lightly. Very briefly, but baby steps. She always asks how my parents are and has even started sending out PLEASANT Christmas cards to us all. My family and I moved to North Dakota shortly after in 2021 (sorry for the misunderstanding in that the car was found in ND. Nope. She came with us. Got to feel the wind in her hair at 65mph for 1,500 miles for the first time since who knows when… I’m a working man with two little girls and a wife. Joining the FABO community has probably been the most productive thing for the barracuda in the physical and mechanical sense. It’s the right environment for those of us seeking support, knowledge, acceptance , experience and wisdom. For whatever it’s worth. This is the FIRST time that I’ve shared this story publicly. The engine, trans and radiator are in the shop. The car just got her first spa day today and is now in the garage awaiting a suspension kit, shocks and brakes and so on… my two daughters help as they can and I set boundaries to keeping the time spent reasonably healthy… my dad thinks it’s sitting under a tarp on the backyard… once it’s safe and running, we plan to surprise him with it at a local car show cruise one day, pull up in front of him and my mom and let him drive it for the cruise…. And here, I’ve met some AWESOME FABO members and will be making a “parts run” soon to South Dakota and Des Moines Iowa with the family for some good finds for the build progress…

It’s truly an absolute dream to have made any of this happen. Whether strictly logic in the right place at the right time… or something of a greater nature in everything that’s transpired over the course in the magic of the barracudas story and the lives that’s she’s touched… my dads words say it all… “it’s not the car, it’s who I am through the car”

Thanks for letting me share. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my story and I apologize if this is the wrong outlet for over sharing and for the length of it all, but thanks for reading. Look for us in MOPAR magazine or HOT ROD magazine one day haha. All the best FABO and God bless.

What an incredible tale of persistence and frustration, and finally redemption. Thank you very much for sharing this very personal experience. I would very strongly suggest you share it with Hagerty Driver's Club magazine, they are always looking for stories like yours to publish.
:thumbsup:

That's an awesome story! With your daughters helping out, that's four generations tied to this car, something you rarely hear about. It's a true Family car.

ANd those wheels are perfect! Watch out, probably left hand threads on the drivers side.
Those wheels almost got the car taken away from my dad. The money used on the wheels and tires was supposed to be money spent on finishing some flying classes for his aviation schooling. When his dad found out be bought wheels instead he threatened to take the car away to help him make “better financial decisions” … but I mean cmon, the wheels are friggin sweet!

A wonderful story. Not about a car, but about family.
You just turned my novel into a fortune cookie length paragraph haha! and you’re very absolutely correct, no other way to say it. And that’s how I’ve explained it to my girls. That’s what makes each and every one of our cars and or “items” unique in whatever form they take… thank you!

All cleaned up from her spa day, in the garage and ready for some attention! First up, suspension rubber all around and then brake lines, junctions and brakes! (Any experience or suggestions on a decent/ affordable suspension kit? I see the PST come up quite often but appears it doesn’t offer a pitman arm?)

IMG_9043.jpeg

Last edited:
A wonderful story, thank so much for taking the time to share.

Life is so very funny ( maybe not the right word?) many times, and can be so rewarding too!

Hey CURIOUS GEORGE haha I put up part 2 and the exciting conclusion, didn’t know if ya saw it just yet, hope I’m sharing my story in the right section of the forum, hope you’ll enjoy it and that it satisfies the curiosity. Thanks. Cya!

-
Back