Mopar Muscle Magazine 360

-
Brian likes to apply them to builds , and advances / retards initial cam timing ,as needed .
ROB : That narrow (108 l.c. ) Crower aggressive ramp hydraulic tappet cam series : "Hydraulic Hauler " They advertise two : The quicker ramp one, is the better of the two. Seems they are mixing older generic grinds, with the 108 l.c. grinds. Just a heads up.

You and I have both preached the same thing for years here. That the Thumpr and Whiplash stuff is nothin new. Crower was doin it dang near 50 years ago!

You and I have both preached the same thing for years here. That the Thumpr and Whiplash stuff is nothin new. Crower was doin it dang near 50 years ago!
Yes ... camshaft technologies are limited, within a budget. High end h.p. number requires frequent maintenance, premium lubricant, and high expensive. We know better ,with personal experiences .

Well the man has spoken! I guess I'm following the blueprint he laid out. Thanks for your input Brian! This forum is awesome!
I should have also said what I do often say, imitation is the sincerest for of flattery. And there is no shame in copying the engine.
Time to start amassing parts in my closet to build this street terror.
I do the same thing. Pictures at 11. LOL

Oh! You need to do a bunch of mods for safe high rpm runs.
NO! 7K is NOT safe on stock piling passages. 6500 is the max I run on stock passages ever and when I ignored it, a new engine was soon being built to replace the one that was just trashed.

I’m saying this out loud!!!

AJ is full of it!:bs_flag:

Last edited:
Plus you got eddy heads ?
If my magnums can breath to 6000 rpm your must be able to well past that.
My cousin late model pulls to 7000 rpm 367 through a 2bbl.

I put a 2bbl top-end and cam on a 340 once,back in the mid 70s with some used 340 springs,Dropped it into a 65 V100 wagon with fenderwells. I called it my big-bore teener. No tach. So I dunno what it revved to, but it didn't matter.That was the second most fun car I ever had. Right up until the 904 gave up. The little 7.25 out-lasted the trans,lol. I gave the car to my little brother. He was 15 or so, and was planing ahead,lol.
I burned up a lot of trannys in the late 60s/early70s. I finally went to work in a tranny shop,in about 76, no more problems,lol.

All,

I did not see a final tally of the part cost. I'm having a hard time thinking that 4k is the cost. Also did they not tear down and process the block? Just a hone and pistons? More fake news? lol............

Marion

All,

I did not see a final tally of the part cost. I'm having a hard time thinking that 4k is the cost. Also did they not tear down and process the block? Just a hone and pistons? More fake news? lol............

Marion

All,

Marion
It was around 4K...much too difficult to figure exact because machining prices are different all over the country. More or less, this was an affordable recipe for Magnum based enthusiasts....based on my pick of parts that can work without too much cost or difficulty.
It's a bad little engine, I can tell you that!

great info-thanks ou812 and others. $4000 + assembly for 455 horse is very good, the old $ 10/hp ended around 1999. I am old school-cams with a ton more exhaust were good for like old ford heads with poor exhaust flow. I agree that this combo did very well on the dyno, and if money grew on trees and we tried 10 more cams I think we would have found another that was slightly more better

Package eight:
360 rebuilt with 9.5 to 1 cast pistons, original crank, rods and windage tray. 202 heads with competition valve job and ported to flow 260 cfm. Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley 750 rejetted, Large tube headers and Mopar Performance P4120231 cam with .484" lift, 284 duration, 108 lsa, installed at 106 intake centerline.
460 h.p. @6000 rpm
486 lbs. of torque @ 4,250 rpm. Just an LA motor but proven cheap build. That's a streetable cam.

How would your package 8 handle the 508 purple shaft? Would it need different Pistons?

great info-thanks ou812 and others. $4000 + assembly for 455 horse is very good, the old $ 10/hp ended around 1999. I am old school-cams with a ton more exhaust were good for like old ford heads with poor exhaust flow. I agree that this combo did very well on the dyno, and if money grew on trees and we tried 10 more cams I think we would have found another that was slightly more better
Quite possibly....

OK,

It was around 4K...much too difficult to figure exact because machining prices are different all over the country. More or less, this was an affordable recipe for Magnum based enthusiasts....based on my pick of parts that can work without too much cost or difficulty.

Brian,
But what about actual costs to a guy in Ohio for example. Tax and Shipping, gaskets, goopy poop, fuel pump, fuel lines etc. Get a shipping quote for 2 iron heads half way across the country..... No block work, hate to say but why dump that into a 150k 5.9? I'm sure it rips arse. For how long? The numbers are surprising, so I'm super excited about my new 367 build which is very similar but with a XE274 stick AND Fi-Tech.

FYI,
Marion

I think this engine is outstanding. The thing that drove the cost up was the fact you had to buy everything. Most of us guys have parts and pieces stashed in our garages that'll bring that cost down to build basically the same motor. Like a front cover. I don't have to spend $170 or $180 on a front cover I've got six of them on the Shelf. As for a core I've got 6, 360 magnums, so the core expense is not there anymore. The out-of-pocket expense goes down by your on hand inventory stashed inside your garage.
Your build is an inspiration to anybody that wants to put a low-dollar 360 Magnum or LA motor together that makes good horsepower.
I have a question about the main bearings. In the article it mentions King MB 5534 SI bearings. In looking these bearings up I'm finding their listed as full grooved 318 bearings. was this a wrong part number?
Neat engine thank you again.

Last edited:
I think this engine is outstanding. The thing that drove the cost up was the fact you had to buy everything. Most of us guys have parts and pieces stashed in our garages that'll bring that cost down to build basically the same motor. Like a front cover. I don't have to spend $170 or $180 on a front cover I've got six of them on the Shelf. As for a core I've got 6, 360 magnums, so the core expense is not there anymore. The out-of-pocket expense goes down by your on hand inventory stashed inside your garage.
Your build is an inspiration to anybody that wants to put a low-dollar 360 Magnum or LA motor together that makes good horsepower.
I have a question about the main bearings. In the article it mentions King MB 5534 SI bearings. In looking these bearings up I'm finding their listed as full grooved 318 bearings. was this a wrong part number?
Neat engine thank you again.
Cool, thank you! I am not sure on the part#, as those were added after I proof'd the literary. The bearing we normally use are half groove, and we use Clevite, King, ACL, and FM once in a while.

OK,

Brian,
But what about actual costs to a guy in Ohio for example. Tax and Shipping, gaskets, goopy poop, fuel pump, fuel lines etc. Get a shipping quote for 2 iron heads half way across the country..... No block work, hate to say but why dump that into a 150k 5.9? I'm sure it rips arse. For how long? The numbers are surprising, so I'm super excited about my new 367 build which is very similar but with a XE274 stick AND Fi-Tech.

FYI,
Marion
This was a DIY article...just using our recommendation on parts + good machine work. If a guy buys the core, and the bores are good, mains are good, deck is good, it's EASY!!!! If not, you can correct or try another core...I recommend talking with the Core yard so they know your looking for a pristine core, alot of times they will mark the core, and if you bring it back, they will exchange for another until you find what your looking for.
However, we are building quite a few right now, and shipped in the U.S., we are getting right at 7K, complete just like the article build.

The extra lift is fine. As long as the cam specs are the same should make about 5-15HP.
How would your package 8 handle the 508 purple shaft? Would it need different Pistons?

Back in the day, I had a 340 built by Fast Racing, which was Bruce Mehls(sp) shop. IIRC he was part of the Rod Shop in the '70's and they were in Groveport. They did a GREAT job!! One of my bosses ran BBC's as a division 3 racer and they built his engines as well. Wow, I hadn't thought about those guys for years.

Im currently building a close copy of brians mopar muscle motor. I used a wiesco piston(.010 shorter ch) and decked the block accordingly. After talking with my machinist about the cost of reconditioning my tired,abused factory rods, i chose a new set of scat i beams. Using the same thumper cam, brians heads, but reusing my single plane m1. When said and done, ill have around 4k in it including rebuilding my 727. 90% of the work ive done myself, and have friends who run auto machine shops that have helped me out alot with machining costs. Engine will be going back in my d150. Truck ran 12.0s with a stock magnum longblock. intake, carb, headers. 3500 10" tight converter and 3.55's. cant wait till its back together. My single plane is gonna give up some low end torque, but should gain some hp. Was killing et streets before out the hole, so some loss down low wont be too bad.

-
Back